Sign in with
Your question

Skyrim crashing on new game video ONLY

Last response: in Video Games
February 10, 2012 1:34:43 PM

Skyrim persistently crashes when I try to start a new game.

I can play all of my existing saves just fine; the game seems quite stable (aside from a seemingly unfixable stuttering issue that I have detailed elsewhere.) But if I try to start a new game, the program grashes to desktop half a second after the loading screen appears.

Any ideas?

Specs:

Intel i3-2120 3.3 gHz
MSI z68a GD65 G3 mb
Crucial m4 128gb SSD
16 gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
XFX R7950 Double D @ 1000/1475
Single 27" HP WLED Monitor

I have tried the sound fix, adjusting setting down to low, and running in windowed mode, to no effect.

Any ideas?
February 10, 2012 4:01:27 PM

First of all, are you using any mods? some mods may cause these problems, from game stuttering from increased number of crashes, so if you are try removing them and see if this fix the issue.

Second i've heard some people experienced this by not running the game as admin, try running the .exe as administrator. (or try compatibility mode)

the sound fix again:
Crashed with 24 bit, 192000 Hz (Studio Quality)
Ran fine with 24 bit, 96000 Hz (Studio Quality) or lower.

last thing i can think of is running the game at lowest settings to see if it is some graphical issue, normally texture bugs makes skyrim to crash.

m
l
February 10, 2012 4:05:21 PM

dont everclock the card on the 7000 its a nightmare and skyrim, bf3 and rage hate it as the drivers are abit shall we say unstable.

stock speeds and dont run on ultra just yet as its a problem and manually turn the fans to 50% then all should work like a charm :) 
m
l
February 10, 2012 6:46:46 PM

Spoony said:
dont everclock the card on the 7000 its a nightmare and skyrim, bf3 and rage hate it as the drivers are abit shall we say unstable.

stock speeds and dont run on ultra just yet as its a problem and manually turn the fans to 50% then all should work like a charm :) 

The overclock works just fine except for this one problem. I think it might have something to do with an error in the movie file. Anyway, I don't feel like reinstalling, so I have temporarily bypassed the problem by transferring an XBox save immediately after jumping out of the cart in Helgen (before character creation). No problems so far.
m
l
Related resources
!