Formatting My PC

Seeing a decrease in performance in my PC after a few months(as expected from
wear and tear over time), I’ve decided to reformat my PC to bring it up to
the "new PC" feel and speed. Before formatting, is there any programs that
might give my PC the older performance that it once had? If not any one
have any suggestions on methods of keeping performance high as long as
possible, as in portioning the hard drive, or keeping my startup programs at
a low, Um some one of constant clean program, keeping in mind I mainly do
development with 3d max, flash combustion, and gaming.

Thanks Sean
4 answers Last reply
More about formatting

    You can reformat the hd(s),by booting to xp cd,recovery,type:FORMAT C:
    /FS:ntfs
    Then do a clean xp install.You can limit installed programs as to "when
    they run"
    in Msconfig but going to run,type:services.msc double click on the
    program,then
    select manual or disable auto start,then close out.

    "Sean B" wrote:

    > Seeing a decrease in performance in my PC after a few months(as expected from
    > wear and tear over time), I’ve decided to reformat my PC to bring it up to
    > the "new PC" feel and speed. Before formatting, is there any programs that
    > might give my PC the older performance that it once had? If not any one
    > have any suggestions on methods of keeping performance high as long as
    > possible, as in portioning the hard drive, or keeping my startup programs at
    > a low, Um some one of constant clean program, keeping in mind I mainly do
    > development with 3d max, flash combustion, and gaming.
    >
    > Thanks Sean

    http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

    Install Avast! antivirus program (FREE)

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

    Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
    to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Sean B" wrote:

    | Seeing a decrease in performance in my PC after a few months(as expected from
    | wear and tear over time), I’ve decided to reformat my PC to bring it up to
    | the "new PC" feel and speed. Before formatting, is there any programs that
    | might give my PC the older performance that it once had? If not any one
    | have any suggestions on methods of keeping performance high as long as
    | possible, as in portioning the hard drive, or keeping my startup programs at
    | a low, Um some one of constant clean program, keeping in mind I mainly do
    | development with 3d max, flash combustion, and gaming.
    |
    | Thanks Sean

    There are a few things you can do. Running the Error Checking feature on your
    hard drive(s) may fix some problems. You can also run the System File Checker
    (sfc) as mentioned below. You can also Defragtment your drive(s) often.
    Installing a good antivirus program, firewall and spyware detector/removal
    software can make a big difference also. Spybot 1.4 work pretty good and is
    free. AVG AntiVirus 7.0 Free version is also pretty good. ZoneAlarm is a
    decent firewall for free.

    Click start/run, type "sfc /scannow" and click ok. Allow the system file
    checker to validate and replace missing or damaged files.

    If sfc /scannow starts and cannot find files, click on the X to close it and
    go to this link:

    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

    It explains how to get it to work.
    --
    That's just like my opinion, Man........

    "Sean B" wrote:

    > Seeing a decrease in performance in my PC after a few months(as expected from
    > wear and tear over time), I’ve decided to reformat my PC to bring it up to
    > the "new PC" feel and speed. Before formatting, is there any programs that
    > might give my PC the older performance that it once had? If not any one
    > have any suggestions on methods of keeping performance high as long as
    > possible, as in portioning the hard drive, or keeping my startup programs at
    > a low, Um some one of constant clean program, keeping in mind I mainly do
    > development with 3d max, flash combustion, and gaming.
    >
    > Thanks Sean

    Thanks for input, ill try to use any thing i didnt know before.

    Sean

Performance Formatting Windows XP