Disk Cleanup after upgrading from Windows 98 to XP

Tags:
  • Windows 98
  • Disk Cleanup
  • Windows XP
July 8, 2005 7:14:01 PM

I have upgraded a computer from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home. When I went
to do a disk cleanup there are two folders that I am not sure if I should
delete the files from. They are:
Window 98/ME Intallation Files 617,394 KB
Backup Files for Previous Operation System 332,273 KB
Please let me know what to do.
Thanks

More about : disk cleanup upgrading windows

Anonymous
July 8, 2005 11:10:04 PM

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:14:01 -0700, Bones wrote:

> I have upgraded a computer from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home. When I went
> to do a disk cleanup there are two folders that I am not sure if I should
> delete the files from. They are:
> Window 98/ME Intallation Files 617,394 KB
> Backup Files for Previous Operation System 332,273 KB
> Please let me know what to do.
> Thanks

During the upgrade process, you chose to save the previous operating
system. A conservative choice and one that I take when upgrading. This path
provides the option to uninstall XP and creates the "Backup files for
previous operating system." Once you're happy with how XP is running,
delete these.

The "Windows 98/ME installation files" are from something else. Perhaps
your old setup had the Windows\Options folder some OEMs (and Windows ME)
create for "touchup" and reinstalling components? I can't think of anything
useful these files can do when running XP. If you delete the "previous
operating system" and then decided to go back to Win98/WinME, you would
install from original media which would recreate the Options folder for
you. In other words, I believe it is safe to delete these if you're going
to stay with the current XP installation.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

As Sharon F said mostly system backup files to help you restore your old
operating system if you choose to do so. If you don't think this is ever
going to happen then by all means remove them.

But if you ever find your pc is lacking performance I would always choose to
flatten and reinstall the operating system instead of an upgrade as I find
the system runs alot smoother.

Lewis Waters

> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:14:01 -0700, Bones wrote:
>
> > I have upgraded a computer from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home. When I
went
> > to do a disk cleanup there are two folders that I am not sure if I
should
> > delete the files from. They are:
> > Window 98/ME Intallation Files 617,394 KB
> > Backup Files for Previous Operation System 332,273 KB
> > Please let me know what to do.
> > Thanks
>
> During the upgrade process, you chose to save the previous operating
> system. A conservative choice and one that I take when upgrading. This
path
> provides the option to uninstall XP and creates the "Backup files for
> previous operating system." Once you're happy with how XP is running,
> delete these.
>
> The "Windows 98/ME installation files" are from something else. Perhaps
> your old setup had the Windows\Options folder some OEMs (and Windows ME)
> create for "touchup" and reinstalling components? I can't think of
anything
> useful these files can do when running XP. If you delete the "previous
> operating system" and then decided to go back to Win98/WinME, you would
> install from original media which would recreate the Options folder for
> you. In other words, I believe it is safe to delete these if you're going
> to stay with the current XP installation.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
December 1, 2009 1:28:41 AM

Well, Ijiust performed the Disk Clean and was asked the same thing: Clean the unsued files Win98/Me......so I said yes...... BAD CHOICE. I came back later to find the whole drive has been erased. My drive has 3G of used space and 98G of free space. I lost everything.

The PC is still running, I don't wan to shut it down in case it never start again. What can I do to restore back? The restore feature no longer exist since nothing left on my PC.

Zig
!