Sign in with
Your question

Antec Sonata

Last response: in Components
June 15, 2005 3:21:49 AM

First, I can't find the sample systems that used to be on this site. It listed three groups of components for different level users.

Second:

I spent hours putting together my dream computer at Newegg.com and now only because one person mentioned it in a review I find out that my case won’t support my motherboard because of 4 extra pins on the powersupply connector. How can you find out something like this before you place the order. It’s not mentioned anywhere in the specs.

Antec Life Style Sonata Case, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard , eVGA Geforce 6800GT 256MB PCI-Express x16 Video Card, AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester CPU, 2x CORSAIR XMS 512MB RAM

More about : antec sonata

June 15, 2005 2:52:27 PM

Which has the 4 extra pins?
Motherboard or power supply?
You can buy an adapter, or a new PSU.

<font color=blue>If everything seems to be going well, you obviously don't know what the hell is going on</font color=blue>
June 15, 2005 5:43:30 PM

This is all hearsay because I can't find specs that say how many pins they have but I have heard that:

1) Antec Sonata power supply has 20 pins
2) All new motherboards with PCI-Express x 16 use 24 pins to connect to power supply
3) Possibly the video cards do also.

However, if I can buy an adapter and if it is not terribly expensive then I can get by. Later I will buy a new quiet powersupply anyway but I'm out of pennies for now.
Related resources
June 15, 2005 6:00:32 PM

If the PSU has 20 pins there's a separate 4 pin connector. you'll have to connect both.
The adapter is if the PSU has 24 pins and the mobo 20.

<font color=blue>If everything seems to be going well, you obviously don't know what the hell is going on</font color=blue>
June 16, 2005 12:15:56 AM

Whew, Thanks. Now onto first part of question. I found a page one day that listed components for a complete computer system: a basic system, a mid-level system and a gamer system. Periodically it was updated as different components were tested so one day it might have xyz video card and the next month it might have a different but better video card.
June 16, 2005 3:46:28 PM

So what's the question?

!