Temporary Internet Files folder

July 9, 2005 12:59:16 PM

Periodically, I use Windows Explorer to access the subject folder to make
sure Internet Explorer has deleted the cache and usually I could see one
file in the Content.IE5 folder named index.dat. I've been doing this for
years without any problems.

A couple of weeks ago I went to do this and I was unable to see the folder
structure below the Temporary Internet Files folder nor the index.dat file.
But if I log on as another user I can see the Content.IE5 folder, file
index.dat, and the randomly named subfolders beneath folder Content.IE5. I
checked the Windows Explorer properties to see if my view was being
restricted but the settings appear to be the same for both user IDs.

Any clue as to what gives?
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 12:59:17 PM

Jim wrote:
> Periodically, I use Windows Explorer to access the subject folder to
> make sure Internet Explorer has deleted the cache and usually I could
> see one file in the Content.IE5 folder named index.dat. I've been
> doing this for years without any problems.
>
> A couple of weeks ago I went to do this and I was unable to see the
> folder structure below the Temporary Internet Files folder nor the
> index.dat file. But if I log on as another user I can see the
> Content.IE5 folder, file index.dat, and the randomly named subfolders
> beneath folder Content.IE5. I checked the Windows Explorer
> properties to see if my view was being restricted but the settings
> appear to be the same for both user IDs.
> Any clue as to what gives?

Yes
That's normal. Especially if both users are administrators on the local
machine.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I do not understand your reply. I've been using XP for 3+ years and I've
always been able to use Windows Explorer to view the full directory
structure and all files within the Temporary Internet Files folder no matter
which user ID I used. Now I am unable to do this with my main user ID.
This is normal? Is there something in Windows Explorer that after three
years of use it begins to display distorted views of directory structures in
the event there are multiple users with administrator access?

news:o MIDIiIhFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Jim wrote:
>> Periodically, I use Windows Explorer to access the subject folder to
>> make sure Internet Explorer has deleted the cache and usually I could
>> see one file in the Content.IE5 folder named index.dat. I've been
>> doing this for years without any problems.
>>
>> A couple of weeks ago I went to do this and I was unable to see the
>> folder structure below the Temporary Internet Files folder nor the
>> index.dat file. But if I log on as another user I can see the
>> Content.IE5 folder, file index.dat, and the randomly named subfolders
>> beneath folder Content.IE5. I checked the Windows Explorer
>> properties to see if my view was being restricted but the settings
>> appear to be the same for both user IDs.
>> Any clue as to what gives?
>
> Yes
> That's normal. Especially if both users are administrators on the local
> machine.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

July 10, 2005 4:49:02 AM

No you haven't. It's been like that for almost 10 years.