Compaq 5123SR Locks Up

System locks up after 20minutes to 2 hours if you run graphic related
programs. Even the slide show in My Pictures. It will lock up on
about anything but much quicker if running graphics. My son thought
it was the graphics card he added so I took it out and ran the embbed
board with the same results.

In Control Panel/Administrator Tools/Event Veiwer I find numerous
ERROR warnings. There was an Application Error for Moviemk.exe 40
minutes after upgrd'ing from W2K to WXP. Faulting Module
comdlg32.dll. Then numerous Application Hang for: moviemk.exe, ver.
2.0.3312.0, hang module hungapp,ver.0.0.0.0, hang address
0x00000000.

Anyone got Ideas. i'm at a loss over with way to go.
The plann is to replace comdlg32.dll and remove movie maker from the
pc.

==============
More about compaq 5123sr locks

    Try a clean install of XP, if you can. Upgrades are almost always flaky.

    Tom
    "magasin" <magasin@charter-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > System locks up after 20minutes to 2 hours if you run graphic related
    > programs. Even the slide show in My Pictures. It will lock up on
    > about anything but much quicker if running graphics. My son thought
    > it was the graphics card he added so I took it out and ran the embbed
    > board with the same results.
    >
    > In Control Panel/Administrator Tools/Event Veiwer I find numerous
    > ERROR warnings. There was an Application Error for Moviemk.exe 40
    > minutes after upgrd'ing from W2K to WXP. Faulting Module
    > comdlg32.dll. Then numerous Application Hang for: moviemk.exe, ver.
    > 2.0.3312.0, hang module hungapp,ver.0.0.0.0, hang address
    > 0x00000000.
    >
    > Anyone got Ideas. i'm at a loss over with way to go.
    > The plann is to replace comdlg32.dll and remove movie maker from the
    > pc.
    >
    > ==============
    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    Since XP will be the third OS installed (the 5123SR shipped with WinMe), I
    second Tom's suggestion. Do a clean install of XP, especially if the change
    from WinMe to W2K was an upgrade raather than a clean install.
    HH

    "magasin" <magasin@charter-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > System locks up after 20minutes to 2 hours if you run graphic related
    > programs. Even the slide show in My Pictures. It will lock up on
    > about anything but much quicker if running graphics. My son thought
    > it was the graphics card he added so I took it out and ran the embbed
    > board with the same results.
    >
    > In Control Panel/Administrator Tools/Event Veiwer I find numerous
    > ERROR warnings. There was an Application Error for Moviemk.exe 40
    > minutes after upgrd'ing from W2K to WXP. Faulting Module
    > comdlg32.dll. Then numerous Application Hang for: moviemk.exe, ver.
    > 2.0.3312.0, hang module hungapp,ver.0.0.0.0, hang address
    > 0x00000000.
    >
    > Anyone got Ideas. i'm at a loss over with way to go.
    > The plann is to replace comdlg32.dll and remove movie maker from the
    > pc.
    >
    > ==============
    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    If the computer is not too new, it could also be loaded with dust, or one of the
    fans (on a graphics card?) is either burned out or not pulling enough air to
    cool the graphics chip or the CPU chip. Open up the case. If you see a lot of
    dust bunnies inside, clean out the interior of the computer, especially the
    fans, unsing a can of compressed air... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:33:40 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

    >Try a clean install of XP, if you can. Upgrades are almost always flaky.
    >
    >Tom
    >"magasin" <magasin@charter-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> System locks up after 20minutes to 2 hours if you run graphic related
    >> programs. Even the slide show in My Pictures. It will lock up on
    >> about anything but much quicker if running graphics. My son thought
    >> it was the graphics card he added so I took it out and ran the embbed
    >> board with the same results.
    >>
    >> In Control Panel/Administrator Tools/Event Veiwer I find numerous
    >> ERROR warnings. There was an Application Error for Moviemk.exe 40
    >> minutes after upgrd'ing from W2K to WXP. Faulting Module
    >> comdlg32.dll. Then numerous Application Hang for: moviemk.exe, ver.
    >> 2.0.3312.0, hang module hungapp,ver.0.0.0.0, hang address
    >> 0x00000000.
    >>
    >> Anyone got Ideas. i'm at a loss over with way to go.
    >> The plann is to replace comdlg32.dll and remove movie maker from the
    >> pc.
    >>
    >> ==============
    >> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
    >troubleshooting newsgroups.

    Ooh...that horrible hungapp error. I had this problem for 4 months
    on my brand new Dell, so I know how frustrated you are.

    Fortunately, I have a fix for you! (At least it worked for me....)

    Go to "Start"
    Click on "Run"
    In the box that pops up, type "msconfig" and click "OK".
    On the new pop-up, click the file folder tap marked "Startup".
    Click the "Disable All" button, then "Apply", then "Close".
    When the new popup comes up asking you to restart your computer, do
    it, and I promise it will be a brand new machine!!!

    Good Luck!!! :D

    ==============

    The poster will need luck if he/she tries that. Unfortunately, doing so may
    eliminate certain functions whose drivers load at bootup. HH

    "serendippy522" <serendippy522@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
    message news:412989b9$1_4@news.athenanews.com...
    > Ooh...that horrible hungapp error. I had this problem for 4 months
    > on my brand new Dell, so I know how frustrated you are.
    >
    > Fortunately, I have a fix for you! (At least it worked for me....)
    >
    > Go to "Start"
    > Click on "Run"
    > In the box that pops up, type "msconfig" and click "OK".
    > On the new pop-up, click the file folder tap marked "Startup".
    > Click the "Disable All" button, then "Apply", then "Close".
    > When the new popup comes up asking you to restart your computer, do
    > it, and I promise it will be a brand new machine!!!
    >
    > Good Luck!!! :D

    troubleshooting newsgroups.

Compaq Computers