Unable to locate Shell Process

I really don't know how to start this so I will give you some of the symptoms

1. When I run Panda online scan it hangs on file 319 and will not go any
further
2. When I run Spybot at the end I get "Error during check! Xuron55 (Datei
C:\Windows\win.ini kann nicht geoffnet werden. The process cannot access the
file because it is being used by another process.
3. When I search for a file in Regedit it searches forever
4. In one of my log files (C:\Windows\System32\WBEM\Logs) it says "Shell
name Explorer.exe in registry not found in process list Unable to locate
Shell process. Impersonation failed.
5. In my event viewer I am getting alot of "The Shell stopped unexpectedly
and Explorer.exe was restarted

I am running XP Home Edition and this has been going on for a couple of
weeks. I run Panda Online Scan, Adaware, and Spybot weekly and because I
have had a couple of viruses in the past I run Stinger pretty often also.
Adaware and Stinger say my system is clean. When Panda hangs it is in the
registry. Any suggestions on how to locate the problem?
3 answers Last reply
More about unable locate shell process

    "Teri" <Teri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I really don't know how to start this so I will give you some of the symptoms
    >
    >1. When I run Panda online scan it hangs on file 319 and will not go any
    >further
    >2. When I run Spybot at the end I get "Error during check! Xuron55 (Datei
    >C:\Windows\win.ini kann nicht geoffnet werden. The process cannot access the
    >file because it is being used by another process.
    >3. When I search for a file in Regedit it searches forever
    >4. In one of my log files (C:\Windows\System32\WBEM\Logs) it says "Shell
    >name Explorer.exe in registry not found in process list Unable to locate
    >Shell process. Impersonation failed.
    >5. In my event viewer I am getting alot of "The Shell stopped unexpectedly
    >and Explorer.exe was restarted
    >
    >I am running XP Home Edition and this has been going on for a couple of
    >weeks. I run Panda Online Scan, Adaware, and Spybot weekly and because I
    >have had a couple of viruses in the past I run Stinger pretty often also.
    >Adaware and Stinger say my system is clean. When Panda hangs it is in the
    >registry. Any suggestions on how to locate the problem?

    It sounds like some sort of nasty or other has gotten past your
    security programs.

    Try a different online virus scanner such as Trend Micro's at
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com

    Also try downloading and installing the free Beta version of Microsoft
    Antispyware from http://download.microsoft.com

    Warning: Microsoft has "downgraded" the default actions for certain
    known malware items such as Claria. It will still detect and report
    these items but the recommended action shows as "ignore" which you
    probably would want to change.

    Another option would be to run HiJackThis from
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe
    Create a log file, save it and post it as a new topic to
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 or another forum dedicated
    to discussing HiJackThis log files.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    I should have told you I have Microsoft Antispyware and Hijack This already
    installed. I tried the Trend Micro and I got this " House Call detects a
    corrupt pattern/engine file (VSAPI32.dll) Please remove the corresponding
    file and restart House Call again.
    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "Teri" <Teri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I really don't know how to start this so I will give you some of the symptoms
    > >
    > >1. When I run Panda online scan it hangs on file 319 and will not go any
    > >further
    > >2. When I run Spybot at the end I get "Error during check! Xuron55 (Datei
    > >C:\Windows\win.ini kann nicht geoffnet werden. The process cannot access the
    > >file because it is being used by another process.
    > >3. When I search for a file in Regedit it searches forever
    > >4. In one of my log files (C:\Windows\System32\WBEM\Logs) it says "Shell
    > >name Explorer.exe in registry not found in process list Unable to locate
    > >Shell process. Impersonation failed.
    > >5. In my event viewer I am getting alot of "The Shell stopped unexpectedly
    > >and Explorer.exe was restarted
    > >
    > >I am running XP Home Edition and this has been going on for a couple of
    > >weeks. I run Panda Online Scan, Adaware, and Spybot weekly and because I
    > >have had a couple of viruses in the past I run Stinger pretty often also.
    > >Adaware and Stinger say my system is clean. When Panda hangs it is in the
    > >registry. Any suggestions on how to locate the problem?
    >
    > It sounds like some sort of nasty or other has gotten past your
    > security programs.
    >
    > Try a different online virus scanner such as Trend Micro's at
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com
    >
    > Also try downloading and installing the free Beta version of Microsoft
    > Antispyware from http://download.microsoft.com
    >
    > Warning: Microsoft has "downgraded" the default actions for certain
    > known malware items such as Claria. It will still detect and report
    > these items but the recommended action shows as "ignore" which you
    > probably would want to change.
    >
    > Another option would be to run HiJackThis from
    > http://www.aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe
    > Create a log file, save it and post it as a new topic to
    > http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 or another forum dedicated
    > to discussing HiJackThis log files.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "Teri" <Teri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I should have told you I have Microsoft Antispyware and Hijack This already
    >installed. I tried the Trend Micro and I got this " House Call detects a
    >corrupt pattern/engine file (VSAPI32.dll) Please remove the corresponding
    >file and restart House Call again.

    From Trend Micro's Knowledge Base:

    "Get error message 102 when trying to access HouseCall

    Product: HouseCall

    Version: any

    Solution ID: 3119

    Created: 11/9/1999 2:32:50 PM

    Problem: If the scan engine is unable to read the pattern file
    during a scanning process, an error message will be returned.

    Solution: To correct the problem, delete the present pattern file
    (which could be the cause of the error message) and force HouseCall to
    get a new one.

    Delete vptnfile.xxx (xxx is a 3-digit pattern number)

    Delete vsapi32.dll

    Note: By deafult, these files (the pattern and scan engine files) are
    located in the \Windows directory. However, it may be in a different
    directory if some other directory was specified at the time the
    program was installed.

    Otherwise, uninstall all components of Housecall and try to access it
    again. Click this link: www.antivirus.com "

    Hope this is of some assistance.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada