time/date problem

my pc will not keep the current time and date. i have replaced the
motherboard battery and syncronized with the two available time/date sites to
no avail. this problem began after someone bypassed my desktop logon and
created his own. don't know if this part of the problem, but the timing is
noteworthy.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Have you tried setting the time in the BIOS settings?

--
Best of Luck!
Jose Francisco

rights

"kcchelpdesk2" <kcchelpdesk2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my pc will not keep the current time and date. i have replaced the
> motherboard battery and syncronized with the two available time/date sites
> no avail. this problem began after someone bypassed my desktop logon and
> created his own. don't know if this part of the problem, but the timing is
> noteworthy.
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:ubS4OuthFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Jose Francisco <almach@onvol.net> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> Have you tried setting the time in the BIOS settings?
>

> "kcchelpdesk2" <kcchelpdesk2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:D2D7C53D-E872-4286-A7E2-40456FC511F2@microsoft.com...
>> my pc will not keep the current time and date. i have replaced the
>> motherboard battery and syncronized with the two available time/date
>> sites to
>> no avail. this problem began after someone bypassed my desktop logon
>> and created his own. don't know if this part of the problem, but the
>> timing is noteworthy.
>>
>> any help would be greatly appreciated.

Above and beyond that can you describe how your PC is losing time?

Here's what I want to know.

Does the PC lose time while you're using it? Does it gain time while you're
using it? Does it lose time only when it's powered off? Does it lose time
when it's powered off and the power strip is also turned off? Does it always
revert to a certain time?

If it always reverts to a certain time and does it while it's off only then
you should check the battery status again and, as was suggested, the BIOS
settings though adjusting the time should have made that stick already. It
may not be the battery, it might also be the contacts on the board. That's
often something that can be fixed pretty easily with a number of methods.
It's also possible you got a bad battery off the shelf. Take the battery
out, stick it in your mouth and roll it around. Does it tingle? If so it's
not the battery...

What you *could* be looking at is a RTC problem... Real-Time Clock or
Real-Time Chip troubles aren't that fun. They can be fixed if you're REALLY
adept with a desoldering iron, have the proper sink, and a big maginfying
glass. (Err... It's just easier to replace the board at that point.) I'd
hope for the former and not for troubles with the RTC though those are
usually just as easily lived with by downloading one of the many clock sync
tools and keeping it running in the background and setting it to update
every hour or so. If the board is still under warranty and it turns out to
be a RTC issue then it's best to return it. Trying to fix it on your own
(unless you're a major geek - I know I wouldn't bother trying to fix it and
I'm kind of geeky) is not something for the faint of heart.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

thanks for the help. once i reset the time in the bios, xp maintained the
correct time.