b0ng0

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
Hey, I am wanting to build a new pc in replacement for my laptop which is on its last legs. As such I want my new pc to have a compact/small (and if possible, stylish) case. I have had a look at SFF pcs and they seem pretty cool but not very upgradable. Can anyone suggest or help with finding a suitable case?

Thanks

ps I will be using my computer mainly for storage (such as music) and also for graphics editing such as Photoshop and tablet work. Not really for games.

hallj22

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2005
if you are only using it for storage for music and graphic editing then why does it matter that you can not upgrade it. just buy the best of the best now and in 3 years it will still be pretty good. here is one case.
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/OldVersion/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-144-109&DEPA=1" target="_new"> ASPIRE X-QPACK </A>

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are lots of narrow Micro ATX cases that would probably be suitable. They make them narrow by turning the CD drive sideways. Micro ATX offers 4 slots rather than 2, solving part of your upgrade dillema.

There are lots of higher quality cases in this size, but <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/OldVersion/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-145-009&depa=1" target="_new">here's a cheap one with a carrying handle</A>

Notice it's around HALF AS WIDE as a Micro ATX cube, and around 30% narrower than a true SFF, while being taller of course.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That thing is freaking huge! It's wider than my full tower!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

b0ng0

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
Thanks for the suggestions. One thing I'm a bit warey about is buying a sff case and it overheating. Since I won't be using my pc for games is this likely to be an issue?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have a small Micro ATX tower (not SFF) here that's only 6" wide and has two 80mm fans at the rear, routing the cables properly means it gets the same good cooling as a larger case. As for SFF, your guess is as good as mine. But SFF does take up more desktop space.