HELP! Computer starts and goes Off in 5 sec.

ShyTan

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
Hi,
I just recently put togeter a new computer.
Here is what I got:
Asus P5GD2 Premium 915P P4 800FSB LGA775 DDR2 ATX Motherboard
Antec TruePower True430 430W Power Supply
Intel Pentium 4 505 Prescott 533MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
Corsair VS1GBKIT533D2 1GB Kit DDR2-533 PC2-4200 Value Select Memory
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3120827AS 120GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
Asus Extreme N6600 GeForce 6600 PCI Express 256MB DDR Video Card
Pioneer DVR-109 Dual Layer DVD±RW Writer

First the problem appeared when I hooked up CD drive.
I used another power connector and computer started fine.
After I hooked up a floppy computer would not start again.
I played with cables a bit, disconnected some of them - it starts, connected them back to their places - it worked fine again. I put everything together intalled OS etc.
Next time I tried to start the computer it started and went off in 5 second.
Now it's like this: I have to turn it on and off 20 times and 21st atempt finaly turns the computer on and works fine until next time.
When it finaly boots up it shows an error message something like "overclocking failed" "press f1 to enter setup or f2 to reset bios setting".

I don't get what's wrong.
Is it some bios setting? What should it be?
Is it power suppliy which is not ATX 12 v 2.0 as it supposed to be for this motherboard?
Is it somekind of motherboard protection which turns off the computer during post test?

Please help...
Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
5 second shuttoff could be a thermal shutdown, make certain the heatsink is contacting the CPU properly.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ShyTan

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
Thanks, Crashman.
I think I figured out the problem. It was Power Button on my case. When I push it, it does not retract back properly. So it's like I pushed it and hold it pushed. Motherboard interprets it as some kind of hardware problem and shuts down the computer in 5 sec.
So here comes WATCH OUT warning for you guys who is thinking about buying Antec P160 case.
I'm going to just set a jumper on motherboard so I will be able to start my computer from keyboard.

Later,
ShyTan.

RichPLS

Champion
You just got the male version, to turn on again it needs a break. The correct PC is a female, you turn it on and it stays Hot all day, but still bitches and moans.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>