Dragon Age origins nightmare difficulty discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
I've changed the settings from hard to nightmare and its extremely hard sometimes, is it supposed to be this hard? Or did I makes some mistakes when making my character, I know i did at least once in the beginning by getting a shield feat instead of a dual weild feat. The reason I'm worried is bcuz I've been fighting revenents lately and theyre are just whupping me, I have a bunch of spells that exploit his weakness and give him weakness to every kind of attack, walking bomb him, character buffs, back attacks and its just crazy. I'm also curious if anyone has beat the game on nightmare?? I might enjoy some tips but not too many I still like to be independent...

ps: Im also looking for players of Neverwinter nights If anyone is interested? And also curious as to how hard dragon age 2 is?

Solution
I've beaten it on Nightmare difficulty a few times. In Nightmare difficulty, you can't just run into any situation with any build and party setup. You'll also find that you need to build up your party a bit before you fight the revenants and especially dragons.

I also make sure that I have mages that can heal and freeze mobs. Cone of cold is the most reliable spell for this, so almost all my mages would get at least cone of cold. I will also make sure all my mages can at least do the basic heal. Hold on to your heal potions for these situations as well.

On Nightmare, everything matters. If you build a dual wielding melee, you'll want Alistar to tank for you. The only exception to that was when I made a Dualist rogue with all...
I've beaten it on Nightmare difficulty a few times. In Nightmare difficulty, you can't just run into any situation with any build and party setup. You'll also find that you need to build up your party a bit before you fight the revenants and especially dragons.

I also make sure that I have mages that can heal and freeze mobs. Cone of cold is the most reliable spell for this, so almost all my mages would get at least cone of cold. I will also make sure all my mages can at least do the basic heal. Hold on to your heal potions for these situations as well.

On Nightmare, everything matters. If you build a dual wielding melee, you'll want Alistar to tank for you. The only exception to that was when I made a Dualist rogue with all the avoid perks. I'd get him backstabbing and let him tank most the hardest mobs, accept for Dragons who just would knock him down and back all the time.

Solution

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Haha ya Alistar is the ultimate tank, I honestly think that's his only use, eventually beat the revenent in orzammer he was chasing morrigan so i whupped him. I have all those spells, did the avoid perk work really well? And I'm just amazed at the depth of the game and how challenging it can be, bioware did a superb job. I only hope dragon age 3 is just as good, are you hoping for coop for the next?

I don't often play coop games, but there are times it would be a lot of fun. Dragon Age 2 was also good, only that it has a lot of repeated dungeon designs, however, I really liked the skill trees and advancements except that rogues cannot tank at all anymore. They get disrupted at any hit on them. That is not to say that I don't like rogues now, they have chain moves that are just devastating. By far the most powerful damage dealers.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
So its actually worth a buy? I didn't expect that, I heard everyone saying it was terrible, I played a demo once and thought the combat seemed more fleshed out and destructive, that's what I liked about it, but I kept wondering if there were still specializations, I didn't see them in the skill tree, Is it still as strategic as origins? or is it just weaksauce?

From what I recall, Dragon Age 2 is more challenging at it's highest difficulty than Dragon Age Origins.

It's definitely strategic, probably more so than Dragon Age origins. In Dragon Age Origins, they had secret spell combos that had special effects, in Dragon Age 2, they took it a step further. They aren't secret anymore, and they require coordination between multiple classes now.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Oooh that sounds sick, I have only seen a few of the special combos in my playthrough, I cant wait to find the others, I'm actually gonna buy it then, I really heard it was terrible

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
buy DA2. :bounce: skills have more depth. you can mix and match, and encourages cross class combos. it has better graphics and combat animations. moral choices are not black and white. story and plot is on par with the first one, but is more personal. it's a worthy sequel imo. buy it now! :D

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
buy DA2. :bounce: skills have more depth. you can mix and match, and encourages cross class combos. it has better graphics and combat animations. moral choices are not black and white. story and plot is on par with the first one, but is more personal. it's a worthy sequel imo. buy it now! :D

back on topic, yes, revenants on nightmare will often floor your party if you're not prepared for them.

DA2 pros over DA1:
better graphics
better attack animations
new skills and spells and spell combos

cons:
poor story, although some side quests are quite interesting
poor dungeon designs (copy paste mostly) little variety to locations
too much accent on normal attacks for skill oriented classes due to huge cooldowns

overall, DA2 is not a terrible game, but some choices bioware made for that game are just downright sad

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Do you still get specializations at level 7 and 14?

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
I know this sounds like a stupid question but how much better is DA2 then the demo, cuz I just played the demo for pc and I didn't like it at all, the atmosphere really through me off and didn't seem dragon ageey to me. Plus no isometric view!!! wtf I absolutely lived that on DAO, does any one know of a mod for isometric view???

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Maybe after it goes down price on amazon I'll get it, I think I'm gonna save for Mass effect 3 tho, just played the single player demo and mulitiplayer and its pretty cool, no more terrible aiming system like ME2!!

Status
Not open for further replies.