nail.exe

Tags:
  • Windows XP
July 11, 2005 12:55:03 PM

I have just cleaned up my mothers XP Windows computer with an antivirus
program and since it took numerous virus's off the system, every time it
boots up from cold we get an error saying windows can't find the program
called "nail.exe" which has been removed and now resides in the virus vault.
My question now is, "How do I get windows NOT to look for this file when it
starts up"?

I've already run a registry optimizer in hopes of straightening out this
issue, but it still looks for this file???

Help...

More about : nail exe

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:00:42 PM

Hi

Please make sure that you have a backup of the Registry. Search the
Registry for any mention of nail.exe, then delete it and reboot your PC.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"A relocated American in Canada" <A relocated American in
Canada@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just cleaned up my mothers XP Windows computer with an antivirus
> program and since it took numerous virus's off the system, every time it
> boots up from cold we get an error saying windows can't find the program
> called "nail.exe" which has been removed and now resides in the virus
> vault.
> My question now is, "How do I get windows NOT to look for this file when
> it
> starts up"?
>
> I've already run a registry optimizer in hopes of straightening out this
> issue, but it still looks for this file???
>
> Help...
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:00:43 PM

Thank-You Will... I thought of that, but I have a deathly fear that when I
re-boot after making ANY changes in the registry that it won't boot and I
have to start from scratch with reinstalling the windows from the system disk
which now tells me it's an older version than the existing one that has been
updated with Security Pack 2 now.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please make sure that you have a backup of the Registry. Search the
> Registry for any mention of nail.exe, then delete it and reboot your PC.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "A relocated American in Canada" <A relocated American in
> Canada@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just cleaned up my mothers XP Windows computer with an antivirus
> > program and since it took numerous virus's off the system, every time it
> > boots up from cold we get an error saying windows can't find the program
> > called "nail.exe" which has been removed and now resides in the virus
> > vault.
> > My question now is, "How do I get windows NOT to look for this file when
> > it
> > starts up"?
> >
> > I've already run a registry optimizer in hopes of straightening out this
> > issue, but it still looks for this file???
> >
> > Help...

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:30:11 PM

Hi

Deleting just that value from the Registry has never made any systems I've
deleted it from unbootable. You'll find it under one of the 'winlogon'
values.

Use the following program to back/restore the Registry - it can be used in
Safe Mode as well:

ERUNT
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt...

I've tried various anti-spyware programs and none of them have picked up on
'nail.exe'. Without deleting its reference in the Registry, you will get
that error message.

--

!