nail.exe

I have just cleaned up my mothers XP Windows computer with an antivirus
program and since it took numerous virus's off the system, every time it
boots up from cold we get an error saying windows can't find the program
called "nail.exe" which has been removed and now resides in the virus vault.
My question now is, "How do I get windows NOT to look for this file when it
starts up"?

I've already run a registry optimizer in hopes of straightening out this
issue, but it still looks for this file???

Help...
3 answers Last reply
More about nail

    Hi

    Please make sure that you have a backup of the Registry. Search the
    Registry for any mention of nail.exe, then delete it and reboot your PC.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "A relocated American in Canada" <A relocated American in
    Canada@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have just cleaned up my mothers XP Windows computer with an antivirus
    > program and since it took numerous virus's off the system, every time it
    > boots up from cold we get an error saying windows can't find the program
    > called "nail.exe" which has been removed and now resides in the virus
    > vault.
    > My question now is, "How do I get windows NOT to look for this file when
    > it
    > starts up"?
    >
    > I've already run a registry optimizer in hopes of straightening out this
    > issue, but it still looks for this file???
    >
    > Help...

    Thank-You Will... I thought of that, but I have a deathly fear that when I
    re-boot after making ANY changes in the registry that it won't boot and I
    have to start from scratch with reinstalling the windows from the system disk
    which now tells me it's an older version than the existing one that has been
    updated with Security Pack 2 now.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please make sure that you have a backup of the Registry. Search the
    > Registry for any mention of nail.exe, then delete it and reboot your PC.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "A relocated American in Canada" <A relocated American in
    > Canada@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have just cleaned up my mothers XP Windows computer with an antivirus
    > > program and since it took numerous virus's off the system, every time it
    > > boots up from cold we get an error saying windows can't find the program
    > > called "nail.exe" which has been removed and now resides in the virus
    > > vault.
    > > My question now is, "How do I get windows NOT to look for this file when
    > > it
    > > starts up"?
    > >
    > > I've already run a registry optimizer in hopes of straightening out this
    > > issue, but it still looks for this file???
    > >
    > > Help...

    Hi

    Deleting just that value from the Registry has never made any systems I've
    deleted it from unbootable. You'll find it under one of the 'winlogon'
    values.

    Use the following program to back/restore the Registry - it can be used in
    Safe Mode as well:

    ERUNT
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

    I've tried various anti-spyware programs and none of them have picked up on
    'nail.exe'. Without deleting its reference in the Registry, you will get
    that error message.

    --

    > Thank-You Will... I thought of that, but I have a deathly fear that when I
    > re-boot after making ANY changes in the registry that it won't boot and I
    > have to start from scratch with reinstalling the windows from the system
    > disk
    > which now tells me it's an older version than the existing one that has
    > been
    > updated with Security Pack 2 now.
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Please make sure that you have a backup of the Registry. Search the
    >> Registry for any mention of nail.exe, then delete it and reboot your PC.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "A relocated American in Canada" <A relocated American in
    >> Canada@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have just cleaned up my mothers XP Windows computer with an antivirus
    >> > program and since it took numerous virus's off the system, every time
    >> > it
    >> > boots up from cold we get an error saying windows can't find the
    >> > program
    >> > called "nail.exe" which has been removed and now resides in the virus
    >> > vault.
    >> > My question now is, "How do I get windows NOT to look for this file
    >> > when
    >> > it
    >> > starts up"?
    >> >
    >> > I've already run a registry optimizer in hopes of straightening out
    >> > this
    >> > issue, but it still looks for this file???
    >> >
    >> > Help...

Windows XP