LinkSys WRT54GS performance issue

I upgraded my home network, replacing a LinkSys BEFW11S4 with a new
WRT54GS.
Laptop cards for the family laptops were also upgraded to WPC54GS
cards.

I have Verizon DSL, with 1.5Mbit provisioned.

With my old BEFW11S4, I would consistently get 1.2-1.3Mbit down on
speed tests.

With the new WRT54GS, I taking a huge regression - 200k - 400k down, at
best.
Download speed is 4X-6C slower.

I do not have security enabled.

I'm basically using default settings - same settings I had on the
BEF11S4.

LinkSys (tech support via email) suggested I change RTS Threshold to
2304 (from 2432) and Fragementation Threshold to 2304 (from 2346). They
also suggested I change DTIM from 1 to 3.

My limited knowledge of what these advanced wireless settings do leave
me very skeptical as to whether or not they'll fix a 6X bandwidth
regression, but I will try them and post the results (right now, I'm
back on the BEFW11S4, until my kids tell me it's OK to take the network
down :^).

I'm open to the possibility there's something wrong with the WRT54GS,
and if (when) the LinkSys suggestions do not fix the problem, I will
exchange it for a new one.

Just a heads up on an odd problem doing a simple (and otherwise
painless) upgrade of the home LAN from
'b' to 'g'.

I will post findings, results.

/jim
10 answers Last reply
More about linksys wrt54gs performance issue

    I have yes. No difference.

    Thanks,
    Jim

    An udate.

    1. The settings changes from LinkSys support did not make a difference.

    2. I ran back to the local retailer and exchanged the WRT54GS with a
    new one. Same problem precisely. So it's not broken hardware.

    3. I did try different channels.

    I'm on the phone with LinkSys support now (for the last 20 mins) -
    they're completely stumped.
    I'm spending more time listenting to the "on hold" music than talking
    to anyone. On their behalf, they are trying.

    Watch this space for updates.

    /jim

    Thanks - it's in 'g' only mode. And the firmware is up to date.

    Another data point. It's definitely a wireless issue...

    If I connect to the WRT54GS using the wired ports, the speed is as it
    should be.
    I tried this on 2 different computers (Mac & Wintel), and they both get
    excellent
    speed when on a wired interface.

    Waiting for LinkSys to call back. First line support had to escalate.

    A real head-scratcher, this one...

    Watch this space.

    D'oh!

    Send the virtual face slap.....

    I thought I had checked this, but must have f'd up.
    The firmware was 4.50.<something>, which I thought was the latest.

    LinkSys had 4.70.6 firmware available, which I download and installed.

    Speed is great now on wireless. 1.32Mbit down on the speed tests.

    Sorry for the noise.

    /jim

    On 28 Aug 2005 11:15:58 -0700, "jim.mauro@gmail.com"
    <jim.mauro@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I upgraded my home network, replacing a LinkSys BEFW11S4 with a new
    >WRT54GS.
    >Laptop cards for the family laptops were also upgraded to WPC54GS
    >cards.
    >
    >I have Verizon DSL, with 1.5Mbit provisioned.
    >
    >With my old BEFW11S4, I would consistently get 1.2-1.3Mbit down on
    >speed tests.

    That's the speed limit established by your DSL provider for
    1.5Mbit/sec DSL service. Your BEFW11S4 can do up to about 5Mbits/sec.

    >With the new WRT54GS, I taking a huge regression - 200k - 400k down, at
    >best.
    >Download speed is 4X-6C slower.

    I can't tell if the speed problem is coming from the DSL or from the
    wireless. If Verizon DSL is having a bad day, you'll see slow
    performance. I suggest you use two computahs, one with a wired LAN
    connection to the WRT54GS, the other wireless to run benchmarks. I
    suggest you use IPerf:
    http://www.noc.ucf.edu/Tools/Iperf/default.htm
    That will take the DSL speed out of the picture.

    >I do not have security enabled.
    >
    >I'm basically using default settings - same settings I had on the
    >BEF11S4.
    >
    >LinkSys (tech support via email) suggested I change RTS Threshold to
    >2304 (from 2432) and Fragementation Threshold to 2304 (from 2346). They
    >also suggested I change DTIM from 1 to 3.

    Waste-o-time. This has nothing to do with your problem.
    RTS threshold turn on flow control and is useful if you are
    experiencing hidden transmitter problems. This really only happens in
    outdoor WLAN's with lots of users. Fragmentation threshold is useful
    if you're experiencing inteference. It will reduce the packet size
    down to the point where the packets have a better chance of getting
    through the interference. DTIM is the time that it beacons. Changing
    the beacon interval from 100msec to 300msec isn't going to do anything
    useful. Put these back to defaults please.

    My guess is that your unspecified wireless client radio is an 802.11b
    only radio. The 108Mbit/sec wireless devices have problems with some
    of these cards. I suggest you dive into the Wireless settings on the
    WRT54GS and disable all the enhancements such as turbo mode.

    >My limited knowledge of what these advanced wireless settings do leave
    >me very skeptical as to whether or not they'll fix a 6X bandwidth
    >regression, but I will try them and post the results (right now, I'm
    >back on the BEFW11S4, until my kids tell me it's OK to take the network
    >down :^).

    The kids take priority. You're correct to be suspicious. Those
    tweaks will do nothing.

    Any chance that the BEFW11S4 and WRT54GS are on different channels?
    If you have a neighbor with an access point on the WRT54GS channel, it
    could explain the slowdown.

    >I'm open to the possibility there's something wrong with the WRT54GS,
    >and if (when) the LinkSys suggestions do not fix the problem, I will
    >exchange it for a new one.

    Find a friend or acomplis that has a known working 802.11g laptop.
    Test your router with their laptop. Also, do the benchmarking using a
    LAN connected computer (as previously mentioned) as you may be
    benchmarking Verizon DSL.

    >Just a heads up on an odd problem doing a simple (and otherwise
    >painless) upgrade of the home LAN from
    >'b' to 'g'.

    Did you also update the wireless client radio? If so, you're
    troubleshooting two things at once. Bad idea. If there's a new
    802.11g card in the laptop, drag it to the local free wireless hot
    spot and do some testing with a known good router.

    >I will post findings, results.
    >
    >/jim

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    AE6KS 831-336-2558

    On 28 Aug 2005 17:12:03 -0700, "jim.mauro@gmail.com"
    <jim.mauro@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I thought I had checked this, but must have f'd up.
    >The firmware was 4.50.<something>, which I thought was the latest.
    >LinkSys had 4.70.6 firmware available, which I download and installed.
    >Speed is great now on wireless. 1.32Mbit down on the speed tests.

    That was too easy. Now, why didn't I think of that...

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Hey Jeff - Yep, and why didn't LinkSys mention it?

    Nonetheless, thanks for the post(s).

    FWIW, prior to doing the firmware update, I did check the speed on
    wired connections
    (2 computers, Mac & Wintel), and both acheived excellent results on the
    wired ports,
    so the router<->modem path was good, it was a wireless issue.

    Things are humming along now...

    Thanks,
    /jim

    Have you tried just changing channels?

    On 28-Aug-2005, "jim.mauro@gmail.com" <jim.mauro@gmail.com> wrote:

    > I upgraded my home network, replacing a LinkSys BEFW11S4 with a new
    > WRT54GS.
    > Laptop cards for the family laptops were also upgraded to WPC54GS
    > cards.
    >
    > I have Verizon DSL, with 1.5Mbit provisioned.
    >
    > With my old BEFW11S4, I would consistently get 1.2-1.3Mbit down on
    > speed tests.
    >
    > With the new WRT54GS, I taking a huge regression - 200k - 400k down, at
    > best.
    > Download speed is 4X-6C slower.
    >
    > I do not have security enabled.
    >
    > I'm basically using default settings - same settings I had on the
    > BEF11S4.
    >
    > LinkSys (tech support via email) suggested I change RTS Threshold to
    > 2304 (from 2432) and Fragementation Threshold to 2304 (from 2346). They
    > also suggested I change DTIM from 1 to 3.
    >
    > My limited knowledge of what these advanced wireless settings do leave
    > me very skeptical as to whether or not they'll fix a 6X bandwidth
    > regression, but I will try them and post the results (right now, I'm
    > back on the BEFW11S4, until my kids tell me it's OK to take the network
    > down :^).
    >
    > I'm open to the possibility there's something wrong with the WRT54GS,
    > and if (when) the LinkSys suggestions do not fix the problem, I will
    > exchange it for a new one.
    >
    > Just a heads up on an odd problem doing a simple (and otherwise
    > painless) upgrade of the home LAN from
    > 'b' to 'g'.
    >

    > I will post findings, results.
    >
    > /jim

    Are you using your WRT54GS in mixed mode (b & g)? Even though Linksys
    performs well in mixed-mode, I've always gained better speeds by choosing
    one mode. I know this is elementary, but is the firmware up-to-date on your
    wireless router and notebook cards?

    --
    Just Me, D

    jim.mauro@gmail.com wrote:
    > D'oh!
    >
    > Send the virtual face slap.....
    >
    > I thought I had checked this, but must have f'd up.
    > The firmware was 4.50.<something>, which I thought was the latest.
    >
    > LinkSys had 4.70.6 firmware available, which I download and installed.
    >
    > Speed is great now on wireless. 1.32Mbit down on the speed tests.
    >
    > Sorry for the noise.
    >
    > /jim

    For what it's worth... I also upgraded from the BEFW11S4 to the WRT54GS and
    experienced no problems. I currently am running the firmware version : v4.50.6
    and was not aware of a newer release. So thanks for that info.

Performance Linksys Wireless Networking