Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Can someone please explain how the CD writing wizard works. How do you get
specific files from a software application on a CD-RW? What are the steps in
Windows XP (Media Center 2005). The following is a discussion I had on the
Quicken Forum site that explains the problem.

I have Quicken 2005 Deluxe and Windows XP Media Center (2005). When I
back-up my quicken data file (with the CD writing wizard checked) the dialog
box that comes back and says the files have been archived in the Windows XP
Temp. CD Burning folder and that I still have to burn a CD. Where is this
folder? The data is not actually on the CD drive selection that I selected.
The quicken instructions do not explain the process.

Quicken does not explain it, because it is a Windows XP process, not a
Quicken process. You should be able to find more information using the Start
-> Help and Support menu options of Windows XP.

You can also look in the taskbar on the right, near the clock. There should
appear a little icon if you have files waiting to be written to CD.

Also if you click on the CD icon in My Computer, you should be able to see
the files waiting to be written.

You can also write the files by right-clicking on the CD Icon in My computer
and in the menu that appears I seem to recall there is an option to write the
CD.

If you have difficulties/problems with the process, ask in the appropriate
Windows XP forums on
_______________________________________

Thanks for trying to help me. I've spent about an hour working thru your
proposed solutions including looking at XP help), to no avail. I have no
icons and right clicking does not produce a copy to CD option. What I can not
understand is that that when I select my CD-RW drive in quicken back-up, the
files are not placed there. I'm using the CD Windows Writing Wizard so I
guess this has something to do with it. It looks like the files are placed in
a file called BACKUP under QUICKEN on the C: drive but that is not where I
specified them to go. I just did the back-up outside of Quicken by taking
those files and copying to the CD-RW. No "wizard" was involved. If QUICKEN
wants you to store backup files on data CD's outside of your hard disk, there
must be an easer way to do this. And Quicken/Intuit should explain the
process. I'm going to copy this entire discussion and post it on an

Michael wrote:
> Can someone please explain how the CD writing wizard works.
> How do you get specific files from a software application on
> a CD-RW? What are the steps in Windows XP (Media Center
> 2005). The following is a discussion I had on the Quicken
> Forum site that explains the problem.
>
> I have Quicken 2005 Deluxe and Windows XP Media Center
> (2005). When I back-up my quicken data file (with the CD
> writing wizard checked) the dialog box that comes back and
> says the files have been archived in the Windows XP Temp. CD
> Burning folder and that I still have to burn a CD. Where is
> this folder? The data is not actually on the CD drive
> selection that I selected. The quicken instructions do not
> explain the process.
>
> Quicken does not explain it, because it is a Windows XP
> process, not a Quicken process. You should be able to find
> more information using the Start -> Help and Support menu
> options of Windows XP.
>
> You can also look in the taskbar on the right, near the
> clock. There should appear a little icon if you have files
> waiting to be written to CD.
>
> Also if you click on the CD icon in My Computer, you should
> be able to see the files waiting to be written.
>
> You can also write the files by right-clicking on the CD
> Icon in My computer and in the menu that appears I seem to
> recall there is an option to write the CD.
>
> If you have difficulties/problems with the process, ask in
> the appropriate Windows XP forums on
> _______________________________________
>
> Thanks for trying to help me. I've spent about an hour
> working thru your proposed solutions including looking at XP
> help), to no avail. I have no icons and right clicking does
> not produce a copy to CD option. What I can not understand
> is that that when I select my CD-RW drive in quicken
> back-up, the files are not placed there. I'm using the CD
> Windows Writing Wizard so I guess this has something to do
> with it. It looks like the files are placed in a file called
> BACKUP under QUICKEN on the C: drive but that is not where I
> specified them to go. I just did the back-up outside of
> Quicken by taking those files and copying to the CD-RW. No
> "wizard" was involved. If QUICKEN wants you to store backup
> files on data CD's outside of your hard disk, there must be
> an easer way to do this. And Quicken/Intuit should explain
> the process. I'm going to copy this entire discussion and
> post it on an appropriate Windows XP forum.

I've got Quicken running on my pc and have no problems backing
up to a CD. The process goes just as described in the support
info you've posted. The CD icon shows up in the notification
area as expected.

You might want to check the following:

Open My Computer and right click on the icon for your CD-RW.
Click on the Recording tab.
Make sure there's a check mark in the box next to "Enable CD
recording on this drive".

The only way I was able to recreate the symptoms you describe
was by disabling this feature.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yes. If I right click on the drive in My Computer...there is an option for
writing files to a CD. If selected, the CD writing wizard comes
up...finally, I found it. But why would you want to store your back-up files
on the hard disk until you make a CD. I thought the whole purpose of puting
your files on removable media is to keep them separate from the hard drive in
case of a failure.

Cannot Back Up Quicken Files to CD
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316415

--