Windows XP Defragmenter Engine Problem

I'm not sure of the cuase but shortly after upgrading to Windows XP Home
edition, my disk defragmenter has an error message that states"(C:) The
connection to the defragmenter engine has been lost. Restart
defragmentation." I did no so with the same results. Any suggestions?

Try installing xp cd,exit the info page,then go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:
Sfc /Scannow When its thru,type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,then type:
EXIT Restart computer.

"PatBec07" wrote:

> I'm not sure of the cuase but shortly after upgrading to Windows XP Home
> edition, my disk defragmenter has an error message that states"(C:) The
> connection to the defragmenter engine has been lost. Restart
> defragmentation." I did no so with the same results. Any suggestions?

map

PatBec07 wrote:
> I'm not sure of the cuase but shortly after upgrading to Windows XP
> Home edition, my disk defragmenter has an error message that
> states"(C:) The connection to the defragmenter engine has been lost.
> Restart defragmentation." I did no so with the same results. Any
> suggestions?

Restore defrag.exe......line 280

Mike Pawlak

Hey Andrew:

I tried both your and Mike's recommendations and still get the following
message when attempting to defrag the C drive "The connection to the
defragmenter engine has been lost. Restart defragmentation." Amazingly, I
can still use the disk defragmenter to defrage an attached external drive.

"Andrew E." wrote:

> Try installing xp cd,exit the info page,then go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:
> Sfc /Scannow When its thru,type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,then type:
> EXIT Restart computer.
>
> "PatBec07" wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure of the cuase but shortly after upgrading to Windows XP Home
> > edition, my disk defragmenter has an error message that states"(C:) The
> > connection to the defragmenter engine has been lost. Restart
> > defragmentation." I did no so with the same results. Any suggestions?

I just tried running defrag through the command prompt and came up with the
following error, "The scan has been cancelled because an error ocurred in
file C:\cpqdvr\chil\setupdir\o416"

"Andrew E." wrote:

> Try installing xp cd,exit the info page,then go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:
> Sfc /Scannow When its thru,type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,then type:
> EXIT Restart computer.
>
> "PatBec07" wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure of the cuase but shortly after upgrading to Windows XP Home
> > edition, my disk defragmenter has an error message that states"(C:) The
> > connection to the defragmenter engine has been lost. Restart
> > defragmentation." I did no so with the same results. Any suggestions?

Then you need to run CHKDSK /R on the drive and see if CHKDSK can fix the
"error" with this file.

- Greg/Raxco Software
Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Want to email me? Delete ntloader.

"PatBec07" <PatBec07@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just tried running defrag through the command prompt and came up with
the
> following error, "The scan has been cancelled because an error ocurred in
> file C:\cpqdvr\chil\setupdir\o416"
>
> "Andrew E." wrote:
>
> > Try installing xp cd,exit the info page,then go to run,type:cmd In cmd
type:
> > Sfc /Scannow When its thru,type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,then
type:
> > EXIT Restart computer.
> >
> > "PatBec07" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm not sure of the cuase but shortly after upgrading to Windows XP
> > > edition, my disk defragmenter has an error message that states"(C:)
The
> > > connection to the defragmenter engine has been lost. Restart
> > > defragmentation." I did no so with the same results. Any
suggestions?

I was having this error and another "error on file"...

I deleted that file which supposedly had the error and the error moved
to another file, (usually same directory) Other utlities did not
report problem with the files.

The company technician booted up in safe mode and got past the
problem. Now I can defrag in normal mode.