problems after reinstalling XP...

my computer would not boot up, so knowing i had no irreplacable files or
programs, i just re-installed XP from the reinstallation CD. I can find
nearly all the folders/programs/files that were on the computer before the
reinstallation (in folders under local disc (c:), but those old program files
are not being recognized. For example, in the add/remove programs under
control panel, only 2 programs are listed, instead of the 15-20 items that
were there previously. Is there a way to get my system to "find" this stuff
and recognize it? If i have to delete it all (and reinstall individually) i
could, but deleting programs manually makes me worry that i will miss some
components.
i have a feeling there isn't an easy way out of this one....

Hi

If you reinstalled XP, then the Registry values would have changed and would
not show the already installed programs. You'll have to reinstall those
programs so that they can be registered in the Registry.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"briggsbray" <briggsbray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my computer would not boot up, so knowing i had no irreplacable files or
> programs, i just re-installed XP from the reinstallation CD. I can find
> nearly all the folders/programs/files that were on the computer before the
> reinstallation (in folders under local disc (c:), but those old program
> files
> are not being recognized. For example, in the add/remove programs under
> control panel, only 2 programs are listed, instead of the 15-20 items that
> were there previously. Is there a way to get my system to "find" this
> stuff
> and recognize it? If i have to delete it all (and reinstall individually)
> could, but deleting programs manually makes me worry that i will miss some
> components.
> i have a feeling there isn't an easy way out of this one....

Will Denny,
yes that looks like what i'll do. Am i safe to toss all of the old
(unrecognized) stuff in the recycle bin? i think i've figured out where it
all is.
-briggsbray

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> If you reinstalled XP, then the Registry values would have changed and would
> not show the already installed programs. You'll have to reinstall those
> programs so that they can be registered in the Registry.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "briggsbray" <briggsbray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > my computer would not boot up, so knowing i had no irreplacable files or
> > programs, i just re-installed XP from the reinstallation CD. I can find
> > nearly all the folders/programs/files that were on the computer before the
> > reinstallation (in folders under local disc (c:), but those old program
> > files
> > are not being recognized. For example, in the add/remove programs under
> > control panel, only 2 programs are listed, instead of the 15-20 items that
> > were there previously. Is there a way to get my system to "find" this
> > stuff
> > and recognize it? If i have to delete it all (and reinstall individually)
> > could, but deleting programs manually makes me worry that i will miss some
> > components.
> > i have a feeling there isn't an easy way out of this one....

'no irreplacable files or programs'

why not start off completely fresh and boot from the XP CD & reinstall
windows with the full format and install option,
then simply install other programs you use.

"briggsbray" <briggsbray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my computer would not boot up, so knowing i had no irreplacable files or
> programs, i just re-installed XP from the reinstallation CD. I can find
> nearly all the folders/programs/files that were on the computer before the
> reinstallation (in folders under local disc (c:), but those old program
> files
> are not being recognized. For example, in the add/remove programs under
> control panel, only 2 programs are listed, instead of the 15-20 items that
> were there previously. Is there a way to get my system to "find" this
> stuff
> and recognize it? If i have to delete it all (and reinstall individually)
> could, but deleting programs manually makes me worry that i will miss some
> components.
> i have a feeling there isn't an easy way out of this one....

Hi

You won't be able to uninstall a lot of those programs as they perhaps won't
be referenced in Add/Remove Programs. Just deleting the relevent folders
won't be much help.

A couple of suggestions - you can either reinstall the programs as your
system stands now, or perform a 'Clean' install of XP, which will clear the
hard drive/partition and you can start again then. You can backup your data
files first - for either option - as they can then be copied back to the
original folders.