Help with Problem with system Restore after HD upgrade on ..

Upgraded from a 40Gig Hard Drive to a WDC 1200JBRTL (120 Gig) drive this
evening. System is booting and seemed to run fine.
I let the software that came with the Western Digital 120 Gig do the disk
creation/copy of my old boot drive onto the new drive.
No errors seen.

After running for a bit it occured to me that I should probably clear the
old restore points.

Click on Control Panel -> System -> Restore tab and end up with (the
following is the exact string):

An exception occurred while trying to run
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"

I cannot get to the restore tab from control panel or by right clicking on
My computer.
The right click on My Computer does not say much except the error in that
case can be "sent" to Microsoft which I've done.

XP HOME running SP2 + a couple later patches. I've also tried re-applying
SP2 with no change.

Anyone know how to fix this? My 40gig drive is still available if needed.
My plan was to put it in a draw as a full backup.

Please be kind enough to CC overturf@fastdial.net (it's a CHAP account)

I'll post any good results back on anything I try. Thanks Much, Dallas...

Home Page: www.geocities.com/d_overturf
Replies regarding News Group messages to me may get a challenge verifier
back. (CHAP).
The Sender may be >
Subject: [Challenge Response] Confirm your email by visiting this URL
https://smtp.stowetel.com/challenge/... SomeURL.
If so you need to Click on the link in the challenge and do what it says.
This is usually a one time deal.
More about help problem system restore upgrade

    If you got that far with wdc utility youre lucky,99% of the time it doesnt
    work
    at all in xp,formaer windows OS it should,but even as far as you got,it
    still failed.
    Try,setting the new hd as slave on the same IDE cable as master,format the
    new
    drive in xp,once thru,go to run,type:XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r D: being
    new
    hd but if given another letter then use it.Also,agree to all in the DOS
    window,once
    XCOPY is thru,shutdown and set new to master.

    "Dallas Overturf" wrote:

    > Upgraded from a 40Gig Hard Drive to a WDC 1200JBRTL (120 Gig) drive this
    > evening. System is booting and seemed to run fine.
    > I let the software that came with the Western Digital 120 Gig do the disk
    > creation/copy of my old boot drive onto the new drive.
    > No errors seen.
    >
    > After running for a bit it occured to me that I should probably clear the
    > old restore points.
    >
    > Click on Control Panel -> System -> Restore tab and end up with (the
    > following is the exact string):
    >
    > An exception occurred while trying to run
    > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"
    >
    > I cannot get to the restore tab from control panel or by right clicking on
    > My computer.
    > The right click on My Computer does not say much except the error in that
    > case can be "sent" to Microsoft which I've done.
    >
    > XP HOME running SP2 + a couple later patches. I've also tried re-applying
    > SP2 with no change.
    >
    > Anyone know how to fix this? My 40gig drive is still available if needed.
    > My plan was to put it in a draw as a full backup.
    >
    > Please be kind enough to CC overturf@fastdial.net (it's a CHAP account)
    >
    > I'll post any good results back on anything I try. Thanks Much, Dallas...
    >
    > Home Page: www.geocities.com/d_overturf
    > Replies regarding News Group messages to me may get a challenge verifier
    > back. (CHAP).
    > The Sender may be >
    > Subject: [Challenge Response] Confirm your email by visiting this URL
    > https://smtp.stowetel.com/challenge/... SomeURL.
    > If so you need to Click on the link in the challenge and do what it says.
    > This is usually a one time deal.
    > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Thanks Andrew: It seems to be up and running. I don't know if the xcopy
    fixed it or if a second try at the WDC software did it.

    I got bit by my bios (about twice a year this computer randomly seems to
    loose it's bios.
    After I did the xcopy and swapped the disk cable my system would not
    recognize either drive; then I remembered the funny bios and
    defaulted it got my disks back and also re-ran the WDC stuff as the error
    still seemed to be there.

    Note on the xcopy: I believe you intended this (XCOPY C:\*.* D:\
    /c/h/e/k/r D:) to be this: XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r/s D:
    the /s is needed to traverse the subdirectories. Also it seemed like when I
    went to the command prompt it left me in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\User> When I did the xcopy It looked like it only
    did this dir and within.
    xcopy with added switch worked ok after a cd d\ to put me in the root. C:\

    I should also note that after WDC I booted
    back up on my old drive (still master) and
    Turned OFF System Restore prior to booting
    from the new drive.
    That would be the only other variable I can
    think of. And that appears to have been applied to both drives.

    Thanks and Regards, Dallas...
    --

    > If you got that far with wdc utility youre lucky,99% of the time it doesnt
    > work
    > at all in xp,formaer windows OS it should,but even as far as you got,it
    > still failed.
    > Try,setting the new hd as slave on the same IDE cable as master,format the
    > new
    > drive in xp,once thru,go to run,type:XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r D: being
    > new
    > hd but if given another letter then use it.Also,agree to all in the DOS
    > window,once
    > XCOPY is thru,shutdown and set new to master.
    >
    > "Dallas Overturf" wrote:
    >
    >> Upgraded from a 40Gig Hard Drive to a WDC 1200JBRTL (120 Gig) drive this
    >> evening. System is booting and seemed to run fine.
    >> I let the software that came with the Western Digital 120 Gig do the disk
    >> creation/copy of my old boot drive onto the new drive.
    >> No errors seen.
    >>
    >> After running for a bit it occured to me that I should probably clear the
    >> old restore points.
    >>
    >> Click on Control Panel -> System -> Restore tab and end up with (the
    >> following is the exact string):
    >>
    >> An exception occurred while trying to run
    >> "C:\WINDOWS\system32\sysdm.cpl",System"
    >>
    >> I cannot get to the restore tab from control panel or by right clicking
    >> on
    >> My computer.
    >> The right click on My Computer does not say much except the error in that
    >> case can be "sent" to Microsoft which I've done.
    >>
    >> XP HOME running SP2 + a couple later patches. I've also tried
    >> re-applying
    >> SP2 with no change.
    >>
    >> Anyone know how to fix this? My 40gig drive is still available if
    >> needed.
    >> My plan was to put it in a draw as a full backup.
    >>
    >> Please be kind enough to CC overturf@fastdial.net (it's a CHAP account)
    >>
    >> I'll post any good results back on anything I try. Thanks Much,
    >> Dallas...
    >>
    >> Home Page: www.geocities.com/d_overturf
    >> Replies regarding News Group messages to me may get a challenge verifier
    >> back. (CHAP).
    >> The Sender may be >
    >> Subject: [Challenge Response] Confirm your email by visiting this URL
    >> https://smtp.stowetel.com/challenge/... SomeURL.
    >> If so you need to Click on the link in the challenge and do what it says.
    >> This is usually a one time deal.

System Restore Windows XP