svchost issues

Since I upgraded to XP service pack 2 I have started to receive an
application error popup at the time of starting up my laptop.

The popup does not come every time I start up my computer but when it comes
it is at the stage of the Novell login screen(client version 4.90.0.0 SP1a).

The pop up window looks like this:
Svchost.exe - Application error

The instruction at "0x02f513fc" referenced memory at "0x00000000".
The memory could not be written.

Click OK to terminate the program
Click CANCEL to debug the program

I normally click on OK and continue, sometimes I restart and the pop up
doesn’t appear again.

It happened again when I restarted after lunch and when I clicked cancel for
debugging there was no debugging happening that I can see. To make it clear,
even though I get this application error message everything seem to work
after I click on OK, to terminate the program (I don’t know what program is
terminated though). Any ideas? How do i rectify this?
1 answer Last reply
More about svchost issues

    Some viruses/malware and other malicious software use the well knows
    svchost.exe to cover up their tracks. THIS COULD BE A VIRUS!

    Be sure to follow the steps given on the following Microsoft page to try and
    rectify your issue:

    Protect your PC

    "gwmon" wrote:

    > Since I upgraded to XP service pack 2 I have started to receive an
    > application error popup at the time of starting up my laptop.
    >
    > The popup does not come every time I start up my computer but when it comes
    > it is at the stage of the Novell login screen(client version 4.90.0.0 SP1a).
    >
    > The pop up window looks like this:
    > Svchost.exe - Application error
    >
    > The instruction at "0x02f513fc" referenced memory at "0x00000000".
    > The memory could not be written.
    >
    > Click OK to terminate the program
    > Click CANCEL to debug the program
    >
    > I normally click on OK and continue, sometimes I restart and the pop up
    > doesn’t appear again.
    >
    > It happened again when I restarted after lunch and when I clicked cancel for
    > debugging there was no debugging happening that I can see. To make it clear,
    > even though I get this application error message everything seem to work
    > after I click on OK, to terminate the program (I don’t know what program is
    > terminated though). Any ideas? How do i rectify this?

Windows XP