EQ2 Roleplaying and Anonymous

What benefits does one get by playing under the titles of Roleplaying and or
Anonymous?
20 answers Last reply
More about roleplaying anonymous

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 06:20:02 GMT, "Josh Carter"
    <josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> wrote:

    >What benefits does one get by playing under the titles of Roleplaying and or
    >Anonymous?

    None that I'am aware of

    "RojBlake" <Rojblake@liberator.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 06:20:02 GMT, "Josh Carter"
    > <josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >What benefits does one get by playing under the titles of Roleplaying and
    or
    > >Anonymous?
    > >

    > None that I'am aware of

    It used to be handy in EQ1 to hide your classs so yu didn't get spammed with
    "can I get xyz buff" and the like.

    Pamela Carlton wrote:

    > "RojBlake" <Rojblake@liberator.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 06:20:02 GMT, "Josh Carter"
    >><josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>What benefits does one get by playing under the titles of Roleplaying and
    >
    > or
    >
    >>>Anonymous?
    >>>

    >>None that I'am aware of
    >

    > It used to be handy in EQ1 to hide your classs so yu didn't get spammed with
    > "can I get xyz buff" and the like.

    I would assume it's also handy for letting people know if you're not in
    the mood for reality...if you want to really get into character. On that
    note, it's also somewhat more realistic for people not to know what
    level/class you are just by looking at you.

    --
    Michael Greenhalgh
    ---

    EverQuest 2:
    Miglok | Half-Elf Predator | Lavastorm

    City of Heroes:
    Shadow Ranger | Mutation Scrapper | Virtue
    ---

    >>>What benefits does one get by playing under the titles of Roleplaying and or
    Anonymous? >>

    Peeps I know, me included, use it in EQ2 inorder to be left alone. Mostly it
    works but you get the occasional neebie who will come up to yoou and ask qhat
    does *anom* or the purple color mean. <g>

    On 16 Jan 2005 15:54:41 GMT, focaipoint@aol.comnojunk (DaveN) wrote:

    >Anonymous? >>
    >
    >Peeps I know, me included, use it in EQ2 inorder to be left alone. Mostly it
    >works but you get the occasional neebie who will come up to yoou and ask qhat
    >does *anom* or the purple color mean. <g>

    I had someone ask me once if they could join my guild. This puzzled me
    as I wan't part of a guild at that time. They said, "You know, the AFK
    guild you belong to." I almost choked I was laughing so hard :-)

    --
    Wulfbones Gnome Cleric Qeynos Antonia Bayle
    Wulfrunner Gnome Predator Qeynos Antonia Bayle

    Wulfbones

    Josh Carter <josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> wrote:
    >What benefits does one get by playing under the titles of Roleplaying and or
    >Anonymous?

    Your name turns a different color, so other people can recognize that
    you're roleplaying. For some bizarre reason, it also makes your class and
    level not show in /who reports, making it tougher to find a group.
    --
    Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

    Josh Carter wrote:
    > What benefits does one get by playing under the titles of Roleplaying
    and or
    > Anonymous?

    Your class isn't readily apparent, although level still is if they can
    target you. The problem with this is if somebody is LFG and I'm doing
    global /who all lfg commands, you don't get the class listed. Why
    somebody would go anonymous and LFG at the same time is beyond me, but
    I ignore them when trying to put a group together. Maybe that is a
    benefit (not having to deal with one of my groups ;) )?

    Michael Greenhalgh wrote:

    > I would assume it's also handy for letting people know if you're not
    > in the mood for reality...if you want to really get into character.

    That's the only use I can see -- in EQ2. Can't buff,
    can't PL. You'll miss some "Why are you here?" tells
    if you're in a low-level zone (harvesting or exploring)
    but get as many "why is your name a different color"
    tells instead...

    > On that note, it's also somewhat more realistic for people not to
    > know what level/class you are just by looking at you.

    That doesn't work in EQ2 -- you can see level/class by
    targeting and hovering.

    "Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> writes:

    > Michael Greenhalgh wrote:
    > > On that note, it's also somewhat more realistic for people not to
    > > know what level/class you are just by looking at you.
    >
    > That doesn't work in EQ2 -- you can see level/class by
    > targeting and hovering.

    Level, yes, class, no. Unless it's anonymous people you can't tell
    the class of? You can see their class if they're in your group, but
    not out of it. They'll still show up on a /who <class>, though, so
    you can still figure out the class if you really want to.

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:10:47 GMT, "Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote:

    >Michael Greenhalgh wrote:
    >
    >> I would assume it's also handy for letting people know if you're not
    >> in the mood for reality...if you want to really get into character.
    >
    >That's the only use I can see -- in EQ2. Can't buff,
    >can't PL. You'll miss some "Why are you here?" tells
    >if you're in a low-level zone (harvesting or exploring)
    >but get as many "why is your name a different color"
    >tells instead...

    Did I hear that right ~ there is no such thing as PL'ing in EQ2? Why?

    > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:10:47 GMT, "Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Michael Greenhalgh wrote:
    > >
    > >> I would assume it's also handy for letting people know if you're not
    > >> in the mood for reality...if you want to really get into character.
    > >
    > >That's the only use I can see -- in EQ2. Can't buff,
    > >can't PL. You'll miss some "Why are you here?" tells
    > >if you're in a low-level zone (harvesting or exploring)
    > >but get as many "why is your name a different color"
    > >tells instead...
    > >

    > Did I hear that right ~ there is no such thing as PL'ing in EQ2? Why?

    In EQ1 you could heal/buff the lower level character and they could power
    through the mobs non-stop.

    Buffs now only work in groups and the grouping range needs to be within 7
    levels max IIRC at which stage the mobs would be grey.
    I think the xp is also allocated based on the group range so it is alot
    harder to gain xp even with that difference, you achieve a more beneficial
    xp gain by grouping with others closer to your level.

    --
    eq2.najena.Simonette
    eq2.najena.Floriana

    "RojBlake" <Rojblake@liberator.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:10:47 GMT, "Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Michael Greenhalgh wrote:
    > >
    > >> I would assume it's also handy for letting people know if you're not
    > >> in the mood for reality...if you want to really get into character.
    > >
    > >That's the only use I can see -- in EQ2. Can't buff,
    > >can't PL. You'll miss some "Why are you here?" tells
    > >if you're in a low-level zone (harvesting or exploring)
    > >but get as many "why is your name a different color"
    > >tells instead...
    > >

    > Did I hear that right ~ there is no such thing as PL'ing in EQ2? Why?

    Encounters are locked once they begin. Having a higher level healer standing
    behind you for the fight does no good, because they cannot cast heals on you
    until the fight is over without being in the group, taking a share of exp (or
    canceling out all exp for being too high level.) Buffs also require grouping
    with the buff giver.

    The only thing an out of group person could do would be to heal you up after
    each fight... but out of combat health and mana regeneration is already so
    high that that's not a significant advantage.

    --
    Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
    Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:55:52 -0800, Wulfbones wrote:

    >I had someone ask me once if they could join my guild. This puzzled me
    >as I wan't part of a guild at that time. They said, "You know, the AFK
    >guild you belong to." I almost choked I was laughing so hard :-)

    LOL :-)

    BTW, I really think SOE could do everybody a favor by auto-canceling the
    AFK-status when you start to move around. Either that or make it visually
    obvious to one self that the flag is on. I often only find out that it was
    set when I try to set it.
    --
    Henrik Dissing
    Vork - Dwarven Guardian on Highkeep

    (e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)

    "Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote in

    > "RojBlake" <Rojblake@liberator.net> wrote in message

    >> >That's the only use I can see -- in EQ2. Can't buff, can't PL.
    >> >You'll miss some "Why are you here?" tells if you're in a low-level
    >> >zone (harvesting or exploring) but get as many "why is your name a
    >> >different color" tells instead...
    >>
    >> Did I hear that right ~ there is no such thing as PL'ing in EQ2? Why?
    >
    > Encounters are locked once they begin. Having a higher level healer
    > standing behind you for the fight does no good, because they cannot
    > cast heals on you until the fight is over without being in the group,
    > taking a share of exp (or canceling out all exp for being too high
    > level.) Buffs also require grouping with the buff giver.
    >
    > The only thing an out of group person could do would be to heal you up
    > after each fight... but out of combat health and mana regeneration is
    > already so high that that's not a significant advantage.

    Even out of combat you cannot cast most heals on people outside your
    group. Only heal I've been able to cast is my lowest level one, and I've
    done it while someone was in or out of combat actually. Works great on
    really low level folks, but, useless very quickly.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage

    Henrik Dissing <sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> wrote in

    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:55:52 -0800, Wulfbones wrote:
    >
    >>I had someone ask me once if they could join my guild. This puzzled me
    >>as I wan't part of a guild at that time. They said, "You know, the AFK
    >>guild you belong to." I almost choked I was laughing so hard :-)
    >
    > LOL :-)
    >
    > BTW, I really think SOE could do everybody a favor by auto-canceling
    > the AFK-status when you start to move around. Either that or make it
    > visually obvious to one self that the flag is on. I often only find
    > out that it was set when I try to set it.

    No, people put up AFK for a variety of reasons, sometimes they just don't
    want to be bothered. I would not want it to autocancel. I also would not
    want an annoying reminder, something subtle would be OK.

    --

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:00:03 -0800, Mark Rafn wrote:

    >Your name turns a different color, so other people can recognize that
    >you're roleplaying. For some bizarre reason, it also makes your class and
    >level not show in /who reports, making it tougher to find a group.

    I can think of a not so bizarre reason. When you use "behind-the-curtains"
    features like /who or /ooc, you're not really roleplaying, are you? I
    suppose a hardcore roleplayer would rely solely on the abilities and senses
    of his character. If he wants to group, he'll run around and only speak with
    characters he can actually see.

    I'm speaking without knowing the first thing about roleplaying, of course,
    but why would that stop me :-)
    --

    In article <6p9qu0pr7uirm2v93c09j4lrortncfkahe@4ax.com>,
    sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid says...
    > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:00:03 -0800, Mark Rafn wrote:
    >
    > >Your name turns a different color, so other people can recognize that
    > >you're roleplaying. For some bizarre reason, it also makes your class and
    > >level not show in /who reports, making it tougher to find a group.
    >
    > I can think of a not so bizarre reason. When you use "behind-the-curtains"
    > features like /who or /ooc, you're not really roleplaying, are you? I
    > suppose a hardcore roleplayer would rely solely on the abilities and senses
    > of his character. If he wants to group, he'll run around and only speak with
    > characters he can actually see.

    Hard to say. In a "roleplaying" game one would expect to recruit a party
    in the local bar (ie a gathering place for adventurers betweem
    expeditions)... but since nobody hangs out in the local bar the
    roleplayer is already reduced to behaving like an idiot... (ie running
    around in the forest at night yelling "Hi I'm looking for a party to
    join! Hello? Helllooooo?") Its a no win situation :)

    42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    ] roleplayer is already reduced to behaving like an idiot... (ie running
    ] around in the forest at night yelling "Hi I'm looking for a party to
    ] join! Hello? Helllooooo?") Its a no win situation :)

    Well, the monsters would win something out of it... :-)

    JimP.
    --
    djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
    http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D Dec 5, 2004

    "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > > BTW, I really think SOE could do everybody a favor by auto-canceling
    > > the AFK-status when you start to move around. Either that or make it
    > > visually obvious to one self that the flag is on. I often only find
    > > out that it was set when I try to set it.
    >
    > No, people put up AFK for a variety of reasons, sometimes they just don't
    > want to be bothered. I would not want it to autocancel. I also would not
    > want an annoying reminder, something subtle would be OK.

    I have to admit that I have left it on accidently on purpose a few times =)

    how I love to harvest in peace and quiet.....

    --
    eq2.najena.Simonette
    eq2.najena.Floriana

    "Henrik Dissing" <sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:55:52 -0800, Wulfbones wrote:
    >
    >>I had someone ask me once if they could join my guild. This puzzled me
    >>as I wan't part of a guild at that time. They said, "You know, the AFK
    >>guild you belong to." I almost choked I was laughing so hard :-)
    >
    > LOL :-)
    >
    > BTW, I really think SOE could do everybody a favor by auto-canceling the
    > AFK-status when you start to move around. Either that or make it visually
    > obvious to one self that the flag is on. I often only find out that it was

    I find the AFK very handy if I am letting my older kids briefly play my
    character.

    ATB
    Grimchrim (Runny)

Games Video Games