EQ2 Roleplaying and Anonymous

What benefits does one get by playing under the titles of Roleplaying and or
Anonymous?

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 06:20:02 GMT, "Josh Carter"
<josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> wrote:

>What benefits does one get by playing under the titles of Roleplaying and or
>Anonymous?

None that I'am aware of

"RojBlake" <Rojblake@liberator.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 06:20:02 GMT, "Josh Carter"
> <josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> wrote:
>
> >What benefits does one get by playing under the titles of Roleplaying and
or
> >Anonymous?
> >

> None that I'am aware of

It used to be handy in EQ1 to hide your classs so yu didn't get spammed with
"can I get xyz buff" and the like.

Pamela Carlton wrote:

> "RojBlake" <Rojblake@liberator.net> wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 06:20:02 GMT, "Josh Carter"
>><josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>What benefits does one get by playing under the titles of Roleplaying and
>
> or
>
>>>Anonymous?
>>>

>>None that I'am aware of
>

> It used to be handy in EQ1 to hide your classs so yu didn't get spammed with
> "can I get xyz buff" and the like.

I would assume it's also handy for letting people know if you're not in
the mood for reality...if you want to really get into character. On that
note, it's also somewhat more realistic for people not to know what
level/class you are just by looking at you.

--
Michael Greenhalgh
---

EverQuest 2:
Miglok | Half-Elf Predator | Lavastorm

City of Heroes:
Shadow Ranger | Mutation Scrapper | Virtue
---

daven

Distinguished
May 4, 2001

>>>What benefits does one get by playing under the titles of Roleplaying and or
Anonymous? >>

Peeps I know, me included, use it in EQ2 inorder to be left alone. Mostly it
works but you get the occasional neebie who will come up to yoou and ask qhat
does *anom* or the purple color mean. <g>

On 16 Jan 2005 15:54:41 GMT, focaipoint@aol.comnojunk (DaveN) wrote:

>Anonymous? >>
>
>Peeps I know, me included, use it in EQ2 inorder to be left alone. Mostly it
>works but you get the occasional neebie who will come up to yoou and ask qhat
>does *anom* or the purple color mean. <g>

I had someone ask me once if they could join my guild. This puzzled me
as I wan't part of a guild at that time. They said, "You know, the AFK
guild you belong to." I almost choked I was laughing so hard :)

--
Wulfbones Gnome Cleric Qeynos Antonia Bayle
Wulfrunner Gnome Predator Qeynos Antonia Bayle

Wulfbones

Josh Carter <josh_carter@yahooooooooo.com> wrote:
>What benefits does one get by playing under the titles of Roleplaying and or
>Anonymous?

Your name turns a different color, so other people can recognize that
you're roleplaying. For some bizarre reason, it also makes your class and
level not show in /who reports, making it tougher to find a group.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

Josh Carter wrote:
> What benefits does one get by playing under the titles of Roleplaying
and or
> Anonymous?

Your class isn't readily apparent, although level still is if they can
target you. The problem with this is if somebody is LFG and I'm doing
global /who all lfg commands, you don't get the class listed. Why
somebody would go anonymous and LFG at the same time is beyond me, but
I ignore them when trying to put a group together. Maybe that is a
benefit (not having to deal with one of my groups ;) )?

Wolfie

Michael Greenhalgh wrote:

> I would assume it's also handy for letting people know if you're not
> in the mood for reality...if you want to really get into character.

That's the only use I can see -- in EQ2. Can't buff,
can't PL. You'll miss some "Why are you here?" tells
if you're in a low-level zone (harvesting or exploring)
but get as many "why is your name a different color"
tells instead...

> On that note, it's also somewhat more realistic for people not to
> know what level/class you are just by looking at you.

That doesn't work in EQ2 -- you can see level/class by
targeting and hovering.

Patrik

"Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> writes:

> Michael Greenhalgh wrote:
> > On that note, it's also somewhat more realistic for people not to
> > know what level/class you are just by looking at you.
>
> That doesn't work in EQ2 -- you can see level/class by
> targeting and hovering.

Level, yes, class, no. Unless it's anonymous people you can't tell
the class of? You can see their class if they're in your group, but
not out of it. They'll still show up on a /who <class>, though, so
you can still figure out the class if you really want to.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:10:47 GMT, "Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote:

>Michael Greenhalgh wrote:
>
>> I would assume it's also handy for letting people know if you're not
>> in the mood for reality...if you want to really get into character.
>
>That's the only use I can see -- in EQ2. Can't buff,
>can't PL. You'll miss some "Why are you here?" tells
>if you're in a low-level zone (harvesting or exploring)
>but get as many "why is your name a different color"
>tells instead...

Did I hear that right ~ there is no such thing as PL'ing in EQ2? Why?

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:10:47 GMT, "Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote:
>
> >Michael Greenhalgh wrote:
> >
> >> I would assume it's also handy for letting people know if you're not
> >> in the mood for reality...if you want to really get into character.
> >
> >That's the only use I can see -- in EQ2. Can't buff,
> >can't PL. You'll miss some "Why are you here?" tells
> >if you're in a low-level zone (harvesting or exploring)
> >but get as many "why is your name a different color"
> >tells instead...
> >

> Did I hear that right ~ there is no such thing as PL'ing in EQ2? Why?

In EQ1 you could heal/buff the lower level character and they could power
through the mobs non-stop.

Buffs now only work in groups and the grouping range needs to be within 7
levels max IIRC at which stage the mobs would be grey.
I think the xp is also allocated based on the group range so it is alot
harder to gain xp even with that difference, you achieve a more beneficial
xp gain by grouping with others closer to your level.

--
eq2.najena.Simonette
eq2.najena.Floriana

"RojBlake" <Rojblake@liberator.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:10:47 GMT, "Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote:
>
> >Michael Greenhalgh wrote:
> >
> >> I would assume it's also handy for letting people know if you're not
> >> in the mood for reality...if you want to really get into character.
> >
> >That's the only use I can see -- in EQ2. Can't buff,
> >can't PL. You'll miss some "Why are you here?" tells
> >if you're in a low-level zone (harvesting or exploring)
> >but get as many "why is your name a different color"
> >tells instead...
> >

> Did I hear that right ~ there is no such thing as PL'ing in EQ2? Why?

Encounters are locked once they begin. Having a higher level healer standing
behind you for the fight does no good, because they cannot cast heals on you
until the fight is over without being in the group, taking a share of exp (or
canceling out all exp for being too high level.) Buffs also require grouping
with the buff giver.

The only thing an out of group person could do would be to heal you up after
each fight... but out of combat health and mana regeneration is already so
high that that's not a significant advantage.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:55:52 -0800, Wulfbones wrote:

>I had someone ask me once if they could join my guild. This puzzled me
>as I wan't part of a guild at that time. They said, "You know, the AFK
>guild you belong to." I almost choked I was laughing so hard :)

LOL :)

BTW, I really think SOE could do everybody a favor by auto-canceling the
AFK-status when you start to move around. Either that or make it visually
obvious to one self that the flag is on. I often only find out that it was
set when I try to set it.
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarven Guardian on Highkeep

(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)

"Davian" <davian@nospammindspring.com> wrote in

> "RojBlake" <Rojblake@liberator.net> wrote in message

>> >That's the only use I can see -- in EQ2. Can't buff, can't PL.
>> >You'll miss some "Why are you here?" tells if you're in a low-level
>> >zone (harvesting or exploring) but get as many "why is your name a
>> >different color" tells instead...
>>
>> Did I hear that right ~ there is no such thing as PL'ing in EQ2? Why?
>
> Encounters are locked once they begin. Having a higher level healer
> standing behind you for the fight does no good, because they cannot
> cast heals on you until the fight is over without being in the group,
> taking a share of exp (or canceling out all exp for being too high
> level.) Buffs also require grouping with the buff giver.
>
> The only thing an out of group person could do would be to heal you up
> after each fight... but out of combat health and mana regeneration is
> already so high that that's not a significant advantage.

Even out of combat you cannot cast most heals on people outside your
group. Only heal I've been able to cast is my lowest level one, and I've
done it while someone was in or out of combat actually. Works great on
really low level folks, but, useless very quickly.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage

Henrik Dissing <sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> wrote in

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:55:52 -0800, Wulfbones wrote:
>
>>I had someone ask me once if they could join my guild. This puzzled me
>>as I wan't part of a guild at that time. They said, "You know, the AFK
>>guild you belong to." I almost choked I was laughing so hard :)
>
> LOL :)
>
> BTW, I really think SOE could do everybody a favor by auto-canceling
> the AFK-status when you start to move around. Either that or make it
> visually obvious to one self that the flag is on. I often only find
> out that it was set when I try to set it.

No, people put up AFK for a variety of reasons, sometimes they just don't
want to be bothered. I would not want it to autocancel. I also would not
want an annoying reminder, something subtle would be OK.

--

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:00:03 -0800, Mark Rafn wrote:

>Your name turns a different color, so other people can recognize that
>you're roleplaying. For some bizarre reason, it also makes your class and
>level not show in /who reports, making it tougher to find a group.

I can think of a not so bizarre reason. When you use "behind-the-curtains"
features like /who or /ooc, you're not really roleplaying, are you? I
suppose a hardcore roleplayer would rely solely on the abilities and senses
of his character. If he wants to group, he'll run around and only speak with
characters he can actually see.

I'm speaking without knowing the first thing about roleplaying, of course,
but why would that stop me :)
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarven Guardian on Highkeep

(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <6p9qu0pr7uirm2v93c09j4lrortncfkahe@4ax.com>,
sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid says...
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:00:03 -0800, Mark Rafn wrote:
>
> >Your name turns a different color, so other people can recognize that
> >you're roleplaying. For some bizarre reason, it also makes your class and
> >level not show in /who reports, making it tougher to find a group.
>
> I can think of a not so bizarre reason. When you use "behind-the-curtains"
> features like /who or /ooc, you're not really roleplaying, are you? I
> suppose a hardcore roleplayer would rely solely on the abilities and senses
> of his character. If he wants to group, he'll run around and only speak with
> characters he can actually see.

Hard to say. In a "roleplaying" game one would expect to recruit a party
in the local bar (ie a gathering place for adventurers betweem
expeditions)... but since nobody hangs out in the local bar the
roleplayer is already reduced to behaving like an idiot... (ie running
around in the forest at night yelling "Hi I'm looking for a party to
join! Hello? Helllooooo?") Its a no win situation :)

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
] roleplayer is already reduced to behaving like an idiot... (ie running
] around in the forest at night yelling "Hi I'm looking for a party to
] join! Hello? Helllooooo?") Its a no win situation :)

Well, the monsters would win something out of it... :)

JimP.
--
djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D Dec 5, 2004

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > BTW, I really think SOE could do everybody a favor by auto-canceling
> > the AFK-status when you start to move around. Either that or make it
> > visually obvious to one self that the flag is on. I often only find
> > out that it was set when I try to set it.
>
> No, people put up AFK for a variety of reasons, sometimes they just don't
> want to be bothered. I would not want it to autocancel. I also would not
> want an annoying reminder, something subtle would be OK.

I have to admit that I have left it on accidently on purpose a few times =)

how I love to harvest in peace and quiet.....

--
eq2.najena.Simonette
eq2.najena.Floriana

"Henrik Dissing" <sorry@drowned.in.spam.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:55:52 -0800, Wulfbones wrote:
>
>>I had someone ask me once if they could join my guild. This puzzled me
>>as I wan't part of a guild at that time. They said, "You know, the AFK
>>guild you belong to." I almost choked I was laughing so hard :)
>
> LOL :)
>
> BTW, I really think SOE could do everybody a favor by auto-canceling the
> AFK-status when you start to move around. Either that or make it visually
> obvious to one self that the flag is on. I often only find out that it was

I find the AFK very handy if I am letting my older kids briefly play my
character.

ATB
Grimchrim (Runny)