Temporary Internet Files - best practises

What are the recommendations for "Temporary Internet Files".

In large environments should we default the size limit? The default
settings is normally huge as disk drives are so big. Users end up with 10s
of thousands of files in this folder than can take 20 minutes to clean out.
Many IE issues are also resolved by deleting temp internet files.

We default the setting "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser
is closed" on all systems but this does not seem to always delete everything.

I got to believe there there are some more advanced settings and
recommendations.

Any ideas?
9 answers Last reply
More about temporary internet files practises

    Set the cache to 80MB for best performance. That is the recommendation
    from www.pcpitstop.com

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "DB" wrote:

    | What are the recommendations for "Temporary Internet Files".
    |
    | In large environments should we default the size limit? The default
    | settings is normally huge as disk drives are so big. Users end up with 10s
    | of thousands of files in this folder than can take 20 minutes to clean out.
    | Many IE issues are also resolved by deleting temp internet files.
    |
    | We default the setting "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser
    | is closed" on all systems but this does not seem to always delete everything.
    |
    | I got to believe there there are some more advanced settings and
    | recommendations.
    |
    | Any ideas?

    what happens if a user downloads a file that is greater than 80MB?
    DB

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Set the cache to 80MB for best performance. That is the recommendation
    > from www.pcpitstop.com
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "DB" wrote:
    >
    > | What are the recommendations for "Temporary Internet Files".
    > |
    > | In large environments should we default the size limit? The default
    > | settings is normally huge as disk drives are so big. Users end up with 10s
    > | of thousands of files in this folder than can take 20 minutes to clean out.
    > | Many IE issues are also resolved by deleting temp internet files.
    > |
    > | We default the setting "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser
    > | is closed" on all systems but this does not seem to always delete everything.
    > |
    > | I got to believe there there are some more advanced settings and
    > | recommendations.
    > |
    > | Any ideas?

    The Temporary Internet Files folder is the location on your hard disk where
    Web pages and files (such as graphics) are stored as you view them. This speeds
    up the display of pages you frequently visit or have already seen, because Internet
    Explorer can open them from your hard disk instead of from the Web. It has
    nothing to do with files you select to download directly to your hard drive.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "DB" wrote:

    | what happens if a user downloads a file that is greater than 80MB?
    | --
    | --
    | DB

    If I open a large PDF file using the browser the file is stored/cached in the
    temporary internet files folder. If this file is larger that than the max
    size can this cause problems?

    DB wrote:
    > If I open a large PDF file using the browser the file is
    > stored/cached in the temporary internet files folder. If this file
    > is larger that than the max size can this cause problems?

    No.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    I'm afraid you're misunderstanding TIF.

    IE downloads what you request regardless of the size set for TIF. You may
    have noticed that when you download a large file, like a video presentation
    or a huge software update, that the download is being stored in TIF. This is
    temporary: Once the download has completed the file will be moved out of TIF
    and into the location you specified or into RAM.

    What stays in TIF are elements of web pages you have viewed, such as
    graphics and stylesheets, so that the next time you visit the same page
    these elements don't need to be downloaded again. The idea is to make web
    browsing faster.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "DB" <DB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If I open a large PDF file using the browser the file is stored/cached in
    the
    > temporary internet files folder. If this file is larger that than the max
    > size can this cause problems?

    You may avoid accumulating files in the Temporary Internet Files folder by
    automatically deleting them when you close the browser.

    From inside Internet Explorer:
    Tools > Internet Options > Advanced Tab > In the Security section, check the
    box for "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed"

    "DB" wrote:

    > What are the recommendations for "Temporary Internet Files".
    >
    > In large environments should we default the size limit? The default
    > settings is normally huge as disk drives are so big. Users end up with 10s
    > of thousands of files in this folder than can take 20 minutes to clean out.
    > Many IE issues are also resolved by deleting temp internet files.
    >
    > We default the setting "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser
    > is closed" on all systems but this does not seem to always delete everything.
    >
    > I got to believe there there are some more advanced settings and
    > recommendations.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Sorry, I re-read your post and see that you are already doing that.

    "CurtB" wrote:

    > You may avoid accumulating files in the Temporary Internet Files folder by
    > automatically deleting them when you close the browser.
    >
    > From inside Internet Explorer:
    > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced Tab > In the Security section, check the
    > box for "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed"
    >
    > "DB" wrote:
    >
    > > What are the recommendations for "Temporary Internet Files".
    > >
    > > In large environments should we default the size limit? The default
    > > settings is normally huge as disk drives are so big. Users end up with 10s
    > > of thousands of files in this folder than can take 20 minutes to clean out.
    > > Many IE issues are also resolved by deleting temp internet files.
    > >
    > > We default the setting "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser
    > > is closed" on all systems but this does not seem to always delete everything.
    > >
    > > I got to believe there there are some more advanced settings and
    > > recommendations.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "DB" <DB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >What are the recommendations for "Temporary Internet Files".

    I generally limit them to around 100 mb. Some sites suggest 80 mb as
    a good value.

    >In large environments should we default the size limit? The default
    >settings is normally huge as disk drives are so big. Users end up with 10s
    >of thousands of files in this folder than can take 20 minutes to clean out.
    >Many IE issues are also resolved by deleting temp internet files.
    >
    >We default the setting "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser
    >is closed" on all systems but this does not seem to always delete everything.

    I do not recommend that setting for users with dial-up Internet
    connections, as it does slow down their web browsing, and also
    increases their Internet time usage billing.

    If Internet Explorer crashes then t.i.f. will be left behind. A
    periodic maintenance task should be to delete all offline content
    using Control Panel - Internet Options - Delete Files.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP