I am currently running XP Home Edition and the Windows XP Hotfix got removed
accidently, can I retrieve these programs or do I need to re-install the
operating system?

The only way a hotfix would get removed is if you removed it.

If you removed the hotfix correctly (via Add or Remove Programs) you need
only return to Windows Update where it will be presented to you again.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."