I can use the web OK and most of my desktop programs --- but my Windows >
Control Panel, Explorer, etc... take forever to load. Example: when I try to
navigate through explorer, it stops and the swinging flashlight (searching)
icon comes up. Then I wait and wait -- sometimes for a very long time for
items to load.

Anyone know how I troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks

Time to check for Malware. Use ALL of these free sites. Also, in my
experience the same symptoms were caused by a
defective or failing cdrw drive when a cd was inserted

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.webroot.com/

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

"bb4bball" <bb4bball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can use the web OK and most of my desktop programs --- but my Windows >
> Control Panel, Explorer, etc... take forever to load. Example: when I try
> navigate through explorer, it stops and the swinging flashlight
> (searching)
> icon comes up. Then I wait and wait -- sometimes for a very long time for
> items to load.
>
> Anyone know how I troubleshoot this problem?
>

> Thanks

I have Ad Aware SE and it showed "clean." Micro Trend showed one adware
which it said it successfully removed. I haven't run the other programs yet.

I downloaded MS spyware. So far I haven't noticed any improvement in
operation.

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Time to check for Malware. Use ALL of these free sites. Also, in my
> experience the same symptoms were caused by a
> defective or failing cdrw drive when a cd was inserted
>
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>

> http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
>

> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>

> http://www.webroot.com/
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
>

> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit
>

> "bb4bball" <bb4bball@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can use the web OK and most of my desktop programs --- but my Windows >
> > Control Panel, Explorer, etc... take forever to load. Example: when I try
> > navigate through explorer, it stops and the swinging flashlight
> > (searching)
> > icon comes up. Then I wait and wait -- sometimes for a very long time for
> > items to load.
> >
> > Anyone know how I troubleshoot this problem?
> >

> > Thanks

I would always run more than just the one spyware program, adware doesnt
always pick up every little bad cookie, run something like hijack in
conjunction with it.