Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Mechanical Keyboards, Model M vs Everything Else?

Last response: in Video Games
February 12, 2012 7:22:57 PM

Hey Community,

So I am looking into buying a mechanical keyboard. I miss the clickiness and the feel of the non-membraned keys. I am going into the computer science field and I prefer to code on mechanical keyboards. I am looking at the Das Keyboard Ultimate (tbh the only reason I choose ultimate over professional is because the faceless keys look awesome :D ). I have narrowed it down to this keyboard with the Cherry blues or reds. I like both. However now that I think about it, when I was really young I used to use a IBM Model M keyboard which is also mechanical.

I am wondering what is the difference between the switches or mechanics behind the Model M that is 20+ years old, versus these new mechanical keyboards. If they are the same, why don't people buy the Model M's that are only $20 because of their age, instead of spending $130 on a newer keyboard that seems to function exactly the same?

Thanks,
Carpy2

Best solution

February 12, 2012 8:50:00 PM

Model M was buckling spring IIRC. The Cherry blue switches are most similar to the buckling spring feel, and are about as loud although not quite. Model M's are nice but some people avoid them b/c of aesthetics or because they prefer cherry switches over springs etc etc, many reasons.

I will say that I use a Das and since you are already looking into one, I can vouch that it is a fine keyboard. Immensely satisfied with it (cherry blues).
February 12, 2012 9:51:16 PM

casualcolors said:
Model M was buckling spring IIRC. The Cherry blue switches are most similar to the buckling spring feel, and are about as loud although not quite. Model M's are nice but some people avoid them b/c of aesthetics or because they prefer cherry switches over springs etc etc, many reasons.

I will say that I use a Das and since you are already looking into one, I can vouch that it is a fine keyboard. Immensely satisfied with it (cherry blues).

Thanks for the reply. Where did you get your Das? On their website they are $130, I was hoping there would be a retailer that has them for cheaper.
Score
Related resources
February 12, 2012 10:00:04 PM

I bought mine from Amazon when it was on sale for 119.99. You could try there.
Score
February 13, 2012 12:02:58 AM

Best answer selected by Carpy2.
Score
February 13, 2012 9:42:34 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!