terry

At what size is it best to partition a hard drive for maximum speed while
using Windows XP Home?

Is there any benefit to having the OS on a physically separate Hard Drive
and all other programs and files on another?

TIA,

Terry

Sandman

A lot of people partition a HD, and for whatever their reasoning, it makes
no sense to me, since there is no useful redundancy here; if a drive fails
you lose everything on the drive anyway. It also will affect the NTFS system
in XP that places files etc in a certain order which makes access to them
more efficient; seeking on the HD...If you have 2 separate OS; like Windows
ME on 1 partition and XP on the other, I guess that is a good reason to do
it.. (a dual boot situation) I don't think you can install XP on a drive
and the Programs and files (whatever you mean by that) on another drive. And
if you could; for what purpose?
> At what size is it best to partition a hard drive for maximum speed while
> using Windows XP Home?
>
> Is there any benefit to having the OS on a physically separate Hard Drive
> and all other programs and files on another?
>
> TIA,
>
> Terry

terry

Thanks.
That's why I asked.

"Sandman" <Peterf41@Bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>A lot of people partition a HD, and for whatever their reasoning, it makes
> no sense to me, since there is no useful redundancy here; if a drive
> fails
> you lose everything on the drive anyway. It also will affect the NTFS
> system
> in XP that places files etc in a certain order which makes access to them
> more efficient; seeking on the HD...If you have 2 separate OS; like
> Windows
> ME on 1 partition and XP on the other, I guess that is a good reason to do
> it.. (a dual boot situation) I don't think you can install XP on a drive
> and the Programs and files (whatever you mean by that) on another drive.
> And
> if you could; for what purpose?
>> At what size is it best to partition a hard drive for maximum speed while
>> using Windows XP Home?
>>
>> Is there any benefit to having the OS on a physically separate Hard Drive
>> and all other programs and files on another?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Terry

What about doing an Image of your C drive to a DVD? Would you like to
backup to 1 DVD or many?

Sandman wrote:
> A lot of people partition a HD, and for whatever their reasoning, it makes
> no sense to me, since there is no useful redundancy here; if a drive fails
> you lose everything on the drive anyway. It also will affect the NTFS system
> in XP that places files etc in a certain order which makes access to them
> more efficient; seeking on the HD...If you have 2 separate OS; like Windows
> ME on 1 partition and XP on the other, I guess that is a good reason to do
> it.. (a dual boot situation) I don't think you can install XP on a drive
> and the Programs and files (whatever you mean by that) on another drive. And
> if you could; for what purpose?
>
>>At what size is it best to partition a hard drive for maximum speed while
>>using Windows XP Home?
>>
>>Is there any benefit to having the OS on a physically separate Hard Drive
>>and all other programs and files on another?
>>
>>TIA,
>>
>>Terry

terry

It isn't that I want to do a backup. I was talking about partition sizes.
Wondering if one size were any better than another. So far, there doesn't
seem to be any good reason to partition a hard drive when using Windows XP.
I guess it's a thing of the past.