Vantec power supplies

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Vantec, sounds like Antec, uses the same inexpensive capacitors...

I just got their Ion 2 460W drive, it seems OK, anyone have experience?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I once had a Vantec Ion 400w...in fact it is still lying around here somewhere. It worked flawlessly for a year and the only reason I replaced it was because of all the devices I kept adding to my machine.

Tom's did a review of the same unit I mentioned above and although it didn't make the top of the list it was reviewed favorably. That review, the features, and the price was why I purchased it.

However, I can't speak to the specific model you mentioned in your post. Is this for your machine or is it one you are working on?

....WW (5.1)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I put it in my machine, even though I didn't need 24-pin power. And I didn't use the 24-pin to 20-pin adapter, I just plugged it in with the extra 4 pins hanging out to the side.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I had a <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103473" target="_new">Vantec VAN-520A</A> for a while and my only beef with it was that it was EXTREMELY loud. That thing had to have been putting out almost 80db, stealth my butt...

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, that's probably why their quiet "Ion 2" series only goes as high as 460W.

xall

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
So i was curious what the capasitors that Vantec PSu used? Is it one of the teapo, fuhhjyu, capxon, sus'scon that known as a bad cheap taiwan crapasitors?

Considering that most of PSUs are made in china/taiwan and they are till today use those crappy capasitors.

I was hoping a good news from your vantecs psu eh.. tell me if it has rubycons or matsushita/panasonics or nichicons or ucc caps...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
fuhhiyu. Same as Antec uses. I've seen them listed as problematic, but having been in the repair industry for quite a while, have seen a very low failure rate.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I'd rather use a power supply that cost me nothing than one that I had to pay for! Besides, it's very, very quiet.

Free is good!

Quiet is also good!

Is that one of those smart quiet features, or is it just quiet period?

I am partial to Vantec for cooling purposes, I really like the AeroFlow CPU cooler design with the TMD fan, some don't, but its been great for me, just mounted an Iceburg 5 on my ATI 9800 Pro, its a monster, have you seen one?

Quality wise I wonder how you rate the Vantec P/S to the Fortron if you don't mind commenting on it?

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>

I haven't pushed her too far yet, really haven't had the time to mess with it, but with stock voltage settings 438.75 artifact free.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's supposed to be smart, but I couldn't find enough load to push it up. I tried it with six hard drives, a P4, 1GB RAM, SCSI card, TV tuner card, AIW X800 XT, modem, two DVD drives, a zip drive, and some other basic parts, and it still didn't push it up.

The internal parts are just a little less stout than those I've seen in Fortron Source power supplies, but probably nothing anyone would notice.

Sounds impressive!

Looks like you definitely threw the load to it, I wonder if Vantec makes the P/S themselves or has another company make it for them?

I've got a Thermaltake Silent PurePower 560w and it also is amazingly quiet, but I've also wondered if they are actually making their P/S's themselves or contracting another company to make them for them.

I have no reason to complain about the ThermalTake at all so far, she's been a rock solid performer, its ashamed its not in THG's new P/S testing program, I'd like to see them do a full market stress test on every available P/S, but the companies would definitely have to participate or that could run into some serious money quick for THG.

Even for a company to submit their P/S's for testing looks good on their part, maybe more will get involved as long as they are confident in the quality of their products.

Whats your take on the Antec's poor performance, do you think its just a bad P/S or across the board for their product, I'd have to say its a little disapointing so far for Antec.

I've bought quite a few Antec P/S's and reccommended them to others as quick fix's for their problems simply because places like Circuit City and Best Buy sell them off the shelves and you can acquire them on weekends when other stores are closed and someone needs their machines operational ASAP.

I wonder over time if their quality control is slipping a little and they may just need to tighten up in that area, or it could have just been a lemon P/S, it'll be interesting to see what Antec does from this point.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've had mixed results with Antec and always saw them as a big abusive company, using brand recognition to sell mediocre products at high prices.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, now before any radicals see that statement, I should let everyone know that mediocre quality is actually better than most brands of power supply provide. Over 80% of the brands on the market are pure garbage, Antec has at least THOSE companies beat on quality.