3.3V instability

Tsaot

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2005
Hello, its nice to find your forum. I have been having a problem. While gaming pc alert4 (MSI system monitor) starts screaming at me that my 3.3V has droped in to the 2.Xish. So 1st is this a PSU related problem?

System details:
Amd 1700XP+
MSI K7N2 pro2
2 hard disk
dvd rom
Cdrw
tv tuner card
geforce 4 4200ti
... I think thats it.

Oh and I think its a generic 300W PSU.
Question 2 if it is the PSU was 300W enough and if not what would be the most economical upgrade.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
generic 300W PSU.
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Probably is the PSU. Now that systems are stressing power supplies more than they did in the past, the PSU is one of the most important parts of a system for stable operation. A 300W PSU is probably enough for that system, but a generic one can have a lot of trouble holding its voltages over time. Most PSUs (even ones with a name) are junky and have that problem too.

I'd get a 300-350W good quality PSU and see if it stabilizes. Some good names are Fortron Source (FSP), Sparkle (the ones that have FSP in the part #), OCZ, Enermax, Antec (the TruePower series - most of the others are cruddy) and Thermaltake (I think it's that one - Thermal-something lol). That's not a comprehensive list, but all make good quality PSUs at a decent price.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

earthling

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
generic PSU's are of poor electronic components, so definitely the performance will decrease exponentially untill u lack the required voltage. fishmahn gave u a decent list of good PSU's brand names that could be helpful for ur upgrade. Actually the most economical upgrade depends on ur next upgrade (system upgrade) plan, but anyway try not to go below 350W

Tsaot

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2005
I just wanted to thank the board. I picked up a new antec PSU and it seems to have cured my instability. Now if i can just work on my mental instability.