Automatic deletions

I've noted that files (Usually old but still retained for historical
purposes) are disappearing.

I do systematic back-ups, but since they disappear from a variety of
folders, they can be totally lost ... ie I do not routinely check on their
presence such that they can be identified and recovered from back-ups.

I've wondered whether Windows XP has an automatic feature (Unfortunately
set) which deletes files of greater than a certain age.
--
Peter

The only "feature" close to this is when using Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe).

? Temporary files
[[ Programs sometimes store temporary information in a Temp folder. Before
a program quits, the program usually deletes this information. You can
safely delete temporary files that have not been modified in over a week.]]

Safely delete access time stored here (7 is days):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Volume
Caches\Temporary Files\
Value Name: LastAccess
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 7

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:6ECE3F50-0A31-41E1-8F2F-3B4BB547F537@microsoft.com,
Peter S Adams <yourdisplayname@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I've noted that files (Usually old but still retained for historical
> purposes) are disappearing.
>
> I do systematic back-ups, but since they disappear from a variety of
> folders, they can be totally lost ... ie I do not routinely check on their
> presence such that they can be identified and recovered from back-ups.
>
> I've wondered whether Windows XP has an automatic feature (Unfortunately
> set) which deletes files of greater than a certain age.
> --
> Peter

Windows XP has no such feature.

What files are 'disappearing'?