Norton/Symantec RAM programs

When I am off line (total disconnect from the internet), Norton and related
Symantec programs continue to consume RAM even though I have turned those
programs off. When I try to manually remove the RAM files this program uses
(using Task Manager), the files refuse to be removed. Short of finding
another program, can anyone tell me how to temporarily remove those files? In
other words, can the Symantec system be completely disabled temporarily,
since the "disabled" options do not remove the RAM files?
3 answers Last reply
More about norton symantec programs

    You can use MSCONGIG to control what starts with XP. If you uncheck all
    Norton/Symantec items, then reboot, they should not start. However, running
    without any antivirus, even if disconnected from the interet, is not
    recommended.

    "don@ratcliff.net" <donratcliffnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:EAD608AE-EED7-4848-BC17-1312E65059D4@microsoft.com...

    Bob Harris wrote:
    > You can use MSCONGIG to control what starts with XP. If you uncheck all
    > Norton/Symantec items, then reboot, they should not start. However, running
    > without any antivirus, even if disconnected from the interet, is not
    > recommended.

    Why? What should happen to a clean machine disconnected from internet?

    Gerald

    Many things could happen:

    1. virus intrduced via floppy, ZIP, CD, or pen drive.
    2. machine was not 100% clean, such as a virus in a ZIP file, that was not
    scanned, and is now unzipped.
    3. someone may forget that antivirus is off and connect to the internet.
    4. attack coming through a computer connected to the unprotected computer
    via a network.

    "Gerald Vogt" <vogt@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > Bob Harris wrote:
    >> You can use MSCONGIG to control what starts with XP. If you uncheck all
    >> Norton/Symantec items, then reboot, they should not start. However,
    >> running without any antivirus, even if disconnected from the interet, is
    >> not recommended.
    >
    > Why? What should happen to a clean machine disconnected from internet?
    >
    > Gerald

Norton RAM Symantec Windows XP