Slow performance could it be my ram????

Hi I have a recently reformatted pc running XP Prof' version 2002 Service pk2
on a pentium3 935mhz 128ram. It appears to struggle at times even simply
moving through windows.
Its a very clean system running Nortons and Ad Watch (adaware) and I do
regular maintenence. (clear cookies, cache, temp files , defrag etc)
I thought perhaps the 128ram was not enough as I have been told the 935mhz
should be sufficient. What do you think?
Also Nortons loads up on startup and this takes far too long (several
minutes) Is there any way of speeding up start up?
I did do a bit of investigating in device manager and upon checking all the
properties of the hardware I came up with no drivers installed for these
components listed below. Is this normal?

Direct memory access controlleron (location Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface
Controller)
Intel(r) 82801AA SMBus controller ( location PCI bus 0, device 31, function 3)
Intel(r) 82802 Firmware Hub Device (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC
Interface Controller)
Numeric data processor (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface
Controller)
programme interupt controller (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface
Controller)
System speaker (on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface Controller)
System timer (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface Controller)

--
Shaz says thank you
6 answers Last reply

    Double.or better yet..triple your ram.
    peterk

    the problem
    "Shaz" <Shaz@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    > Hi I have a recently reformatted pc running XP Prof' version 2002 Service
    > pk2
    > on a pentium3 935mhz 128ram. It appears to struggle at times even simply
    > moving through windows.
    > Its a very clean system running Nortons and Ad Watch (adaware) and I do
    > regular maintenence. (clear cookies, cache, temp files , defrag etc)
    > I thought perhaps the 128ram was not enough as I have been told the 935mhz
    > should be sufficient. What do you think?
    > Also Nortons loads up on startup and this takes far too long (several
    > minutes) Is there any way of speeding up start up?
    > I did do a bit of investigating in device manager and upon checking all
    > the
    > properties of the hardware I came up with no drivers installed for these
    > components listed below. Is this normal?
    >
    > Direct memory access controlleron (location Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface
    > Controller)
    > Intel(r) 82801AA SMBus controller ( location PCI bus 0, device 31,
    > function 3)
    > Intel(r) 82802 Firmware Hub Device (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC
    > Interface Controller)
    > Numeric data processor (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface
    > Controller)
    > programme interupt controller (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface
    > Controller)
    > System speaker (on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface Controller)
    > System timer (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface Controller)
    >
    > --
    > Shaz says thank you

    Thought this might need consideration. I will look into it today as to how
    much I can add. Just talking to someone over the phone they seem to think I
    will need SD ram. How can I tell this?
    --
    Shaz says thank you

    "peterk" wrote:

    > Double.or better yet..triple your ram.
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about
    > the problem
    > "Shaz" <Shaz@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    > > Hi I have a recently reformatted pc running XP Prof' version 2002 Service
    > > pk2
    > > on a pentium3 935mhz 128ram. It appears to struggle at times even simply
    > > moving through windows.
    > > Its a very clean system running Nortons and Ad Watch (adaware) and I do
    > > regular maintenence. (clear cookies, cache, temp files , defrag etc)
    > > I thought perhaps the 128ram was not enough as I have been told the 935mhz
    > > should be sufficient. What do you think?
    > > Also Nortons loads up on startup and this takes far too long (several
    > > minutes) Is there any way of speeding up start up?
    > > I did do a bit of investigating in device manager and upon checking all
    > > the
    > > properties of the hardware I came up with no drivers installed for these
    > > components listed below. Is this normal?
    > >
    > > Direct memory access controlleron (location Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface
    > > Controller)
    > > Intel(r) 82801AA SMBus controller ( location PCI bus 0, device 31,
    > > function 3)
    > > Intel(r) 82802 Firmware Hub Device (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC
    > > Interface Controller)
    > > Numeric data processor (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface
    > > Controller)
    > > programme interupt controller (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface
    > > Controller)
    > > System speaker (on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface Controller)
    > > System timer (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface Controller)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Shaz says thank you

    Hi *Shaz* :

    > Thought this might need consideration. I will look into it today as to how
    > much I can add. Just talking to someone over the phone they seem to think I
    > will need SD ram. How can I tell this?

    Suggestion :

    Everest
    http://www.lavalys.com/

    Check your configuration: you'll see all information about the amount of
    memory, the kind of memory and chipset...

    ;-)

    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)

    In news:E9209F85-A6EB-458A-9551-66FF030E27CD@microsoft.com,
    Shaz <Shaz@discussions.microsoft.com.> had this to say:

    > Thought this might need consideration. I will look into it today as
    > to how much I can add. Just talking to someone over the phone they
    > seem to think I will need SD ram. How can I tell this?
    >
    >> Double.or better yet..triple your ram.
    >> peterk
    >>
    >> --
    >> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too
    >> much about the problem
    >> "Shaz" <Shaz@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
    >>> Hi I have a recently reformatted pc running XP Prof' version 2002
    >>> Service pk2
    >>> on a pentium3 935mhz 128ram. It appears to struggle at times even
    >>> simply moving through windows.
    >>> Its a very clean system running Nortons and Ad Watch (adaware) and
    >>> I do regular maintenence. (clear cookies, cache, temp files ,
    >>> defrag etc)
    >>> I thought perhaps the 128ram was not enough as I have been told the
    >>> 935mhz should be sufficient. What do you think?
    >>> Also Nortons loads up on startup and this takes far too long
    >>> (several minutes) Is there any way of speeding up start up?
    >>> I did do a bit of investigating in device manager and upon checking
    >>> all the
    >>> properties of the hardware I came up with no drivers installed for
    >>> these components listed below. Is this normal?
    >>>
    >>> Direct memory access controlleron (location Intel(R) 82801AA LPC
    >>> Interface Controller)
    >>> Intel(r) 82801AA SMBus controller ( location PCI bus 0, device 31,
    >>> function 3)
    >>> Intel(r) 82802 Firmware Hub Device (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC
    >>> Interface Controller)
    >>> Numeric data processor (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface
    >>> Controller)
    >>> programme interupt controller (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC
    >>> Interface Controller)
    >>> System speaker (on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface Controller)
    >>> System timer (location on Intel(R) 82801AA LPC Interface Controller)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Shaz says thank you

    Err... I hate to break it to you but I'd not even begin to consider running
    XP on less than 256 MB or it will be slow. The CPU speed that you have is,
    in my opinion, more than enough - it's the RAM that really matters. XP is a
    RAM hungry lil' pig ;) I'd barely run it with 256 MB and would recommend no
    less than 512.... I prefer that all of my systems use 1 GB or more. Your CPU
    is enough but I'd definately up the RAM. You use, on your system, probably
    PC133 at the most. You can get a great price on a couple of 512 sticks or
    you can buy a single 256 and add it to it. If you have just a PC100 stick in
    there your mobo can almost definately handle a the 133 MHz so grabbing 2x512
    or even 1x256 at PC133 would do you wonders. I like this site:
    www.pricewatch.com personally.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    Gosh,
    with a P3 and 128MB RAM you'd be better off installing 98SE. Solutions:
    1. Build/buy a new system with at least 512MB RAM. and/or,
    2. Trim XP as much as you can (use nlite, xplite or XP own deployment
    tools - search google for "xp preinstall tweaks" or such).
    3. Use minimal (usually the freeware versions) utilities for antivirus,
    antispy etc.

    As per Intel drivers, check Intel web site for chipset drivers etc. There
    are CPU, chipset Info utilities @that site that can give you details about
    your Intel hardware.
    Michael

    Shaz wrote:
    > Hi I have a recently reformatted pc running XP Prof' version 2002
    > Service pk2 on a pentium3 935mhz 128ram. It appears to struggle at
    > times even simply moving through windows.

    128MB RAM is not enought. With that processor I actually recommend 768+MB
    if you can get it - but at least go to 512MB.

    Just visit www.crucial.com and go through their online utility to find the
    RAM you need. You can even buy it there or if you need to shop around - go
    to www.pricewatch.com with the information you gleamed from the previous web
    page.

    --
    Shenan Stanley