Defragmenter stops after 1% defrag

When I run the defragmenter it runs for a short time ie 1% and then says it's
finished. However if I analyse it still says the disk needs defragmenting.
I could just keep running it over and over and the disk would finally be
defragmented, but there must be an easier way. I am running XP sp2 on one
computer and XP without sp2 on another and have the same problem on both.
--
Thanks for taking the time to read my thread, I look forward to reading your
response.

Kathryn

HI *Kathryn* :

> When I run the defragmenter it runs for a short time ie 1% and then says it's
> finished. However if I analyse it still says the disk needs defragmenting.
> I could just keep running it over and over and the disk would finally be
> defragmented, but there must be an easier way. I am running XP sp2 on one
> computer and XP without sp2 on another and have the same problem on both.

1- Use chkdsk to check the integrity of your hard disk:

Windows explorer | right click on disk icon |
properties | tab "tools" | "check errors" | check both options
ok and restart your computer

or

Start | Run | cmd | chkdsk X: /F /V ,
Where X= disk volume

For the results un applications log:
Souce : Winlogon
ID : 1001

and try again.. if defrag failed you have to reinstall the defrag module
like this :

2- Set windows explorer to show the hidden files and folders and go to

C:\Windows\inf

select dfrg.inf
right click
choose install

The installator may ask for the W xp CD...

Hope this help.
Let us know.

:)
--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)

Hi

Do you see any error messages at all and have you got at least 15% free disk
space available for the Disk Defragmenter to work properly?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Kathryn" <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I run the defragmenter it runs for a short time ie 1% and then says
> it's
> finished. However if I analyse it still says the disk needs
> defragmenting.
> I could just keep running it over and over and the disk would finally be
> defragmented, but there must be an easier way. I am running XP sp2 on one
> computer and XP without sp2 on another and have the same problem on both.
> --
> Thanks for taking the time to read my thread, I look forward to reading
> your
> response.
>
> Kathryn

Hi Will

No error messages at all and I have got at least 15% free disk space.
--

"" wrote:
> When I run the defragmenter it runs for a short time ie 1% and
> then says it's
> finished. However if I analyse it still says the disk needs
> defragmenting.
> I could just keep running it over and over and the disk would
> finally be
> defragmented, but there must be an easier way. I am running
> XP sp2 on one
> computer and XP without sp2 on another and have the same
> problem on both.
> --
> Thanks for taking the time to read my thread, I look forward
> to reading your
> response.
>
> Kathryn

Are you using the windows defragmenter? You could try running it in
safe mode if you havent already. If it doesnt work, you could try out
a third party tool, which is faster than the built in.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Perform-Maintain-Defragmenter-stops-defrag-ftopict396173.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1306483