Defragmenter stops after 1% defrag

When I run the defragmenter it runs for a short time ie 1% and then says it's
finished. However if I analyse it still says the disk needs defragmenting.
I could just keep running it over and over and the disk would finally be
defragmented, but there must be an easier way. I am running XP sp2 on one
computer and XP without sp2 on another and have the same problem on both.
--
Thanks for taking the time to read my thread, I look forward to reading your
response.

Kathryn
4 answers Last reply
More about defragmenter stops defrag

    HI *Kathryn* :

    > When I run the defragmenter it runs for a short time ie 1% and then says it's
    > finished. However if I analyse it still says the disk needs defragmenting.
    > I could just keep running it over and over and the disk would finally be
    > defragmented, but there must be an easier way. I am running XP sp2 on one
    > computer and XP without sp2 on another and have the same problem on both.

    1- Use chkdsk to check the integrity of your hard disk:

    Windows explorer | right click on disk icon |
    properties | tab "tools" | "check errors" | check both options
    ok and restart your computer

    or

    Start | Run | cmd | chkdsk X: /F /V ,
    Where X= disk volume

    For the results un applications log:
    Souce : Winlogon
    ID : 1001

    and try again.. if defrag failed you have to reinstall the defrag module
    like this :

    2- Set windows explorer to show the hidden files and folders and go to

    C:\Windows\inf

    select dfrg.inf
    right click
    choose install

    The installator may ask for the W xp CD...

    Hope this help.
    Let us know.

    :)
    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)

    Hi

    Do you see any error messages at all and have you got at least 15% free disk
    space available for the Disk Defragmenter to work properly?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Kathryn" <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I run the defragmenter it runs for a short time ie 1% and then says
    > it's
    > finished. However if I analyse it still says the disk needs
    > defragmenting.
    > I could just keep running it over and over and the disk would finally be
    > defragmented, but there must be an easier way. I am running XP sp2 on one
    > computer and XP without sp2 on another and have the same problem on both.
    > --
    > Thanks for taking the time to read my thread, I look forward to reading
    > your
    > response.
    >
    > Kathryn

    Hi Will

    No error messages at all and I have got at least 15% free disk space.
    --

    "" wrote:
    > When I run the defragmenter it runs for a short time ie 1% and
    > then says it's
    > finished. However if I analyse it still says the disk needs
    > defragmenting.
    > I could just keep running it over and over and the disk would
    > finally be
    > defragmented, but there must be an easier way. I am running
    > XP sp2 on one
    > computer and XP without sp2 on another and have the same
    > problem on both.
    > --
    > Thanks for taking the time to read my thread, I look forward
    > to reading your
    > response.
    >
    > Kathryn

    Are you using the windows defragmenter? You could try running it in
    safe mode if you havent already. If it doesnt work, you could try out
    a third party tool, which is faster than the built in.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Perform-Maintain-Defragmenter-stops-defrag-ftopict396173.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1306483

Defragment Windows XP