Kyocera 7135 & GPS

So I have this nice Kyocera 7135, and I need a GPS. Would sure be nice
to put the GPS to some use. Heck, a eBay search for 7135 shows people
advertising it has GPS! (Well, one now, a few more a few days ago).

So... any update on anyone cracking the GPS to work with the Palm apps
there?

Yes, I've seen the "YOU ARE HERE" application.

I have a non street level GPS (Garmin GPS 40) but it would be nice to
have a GPS that can do street mapping.

Anyone?

Evan
More about kyocera 7135

    Evan, the correct term would be aGPS, Assisted GPS. While I haven't tried
    it, the 7135 will take an SD card. There is an SD card GPS that works with
    palm applications. Therefore, you should be able to get your palm
    applications to do GPS :-) Then you'll have two forms of gps:
    the aGPS, and the GPS via the SD card. Via the SD card it will (should)
    work with palm applications that are GPS compatible. dr

    --
    dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
    Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent

    If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
    you. Worred about leaving your email address..... yup, me too.
    "Evan Platt" <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote in message
    > So I have this nice Kyocera 7135, and I need a GPS. Would sure be nice
    > to put the GPS to some use. Heck, a eBay search for 7135 shows people
    > advertising it has GPS! (Well, one now, a few more a few days ago).
    >
    > So... any update on anyone cracking the GPS to work with the Palm apps
    > there?
    >
    > Yes, I've seen the "YOU ARE HERE" application.
    >
    > I have a non street level GPS (Garmin GPS 40) but it would be nice to
    > have a GPS that can do street mapping.
    >
    > Anyone?
    >
    > Evan
    > --
    > To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address.

    Begin dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma quote:

    ; Evan, the correct term would be aGPS, Assisted GPS. While I haven't tried

    I thought it was "eGPS", for "Emergency GPS". IE, it's a locator so
    that compatibly equipped emergency services can locate you if/when you
    dial 911 on the cellphone.

    For some strange reason though, they were mandated to be in the phones
    before the emergency services were mandated to be able to use it! True
    story:

    Last spring, I witnessed a bad accident (ditz in front of me ran a red
    light). I called 911 from my Kyo 7135 and identified myself as calling
    from a cellphone. The police were unable to track my location from the
    phone.

    ; it, the 7135 will take an SD card. There is an SD card GPS that works with
    ; palm applications. Therefore, you should be able to get your palm

    I've looked, but apparently not in the right places. Where can one
    find such a beast?

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "I merely note, if you want to catch something, running after it isn't
    always the best way." (Miles Vorkosigan [Lois McMaster Bujold, "The
    Mountains of Mourning"])

    "Jeffrey Kaplan"

    | ; Evan, the correct term would be aGPS, Assisted GPS. While I haven't
    tried

    | I thought it was "eGPS", for "Emergency GPS". IE, it's a locator so
    | that compatibly equipped emergency services can locate you if/when you
    | dial 911 on the cellphone.
    |
    | For some strange reason though, they were mandated to be in the phones
    | before the emergency services were mandated to be able to use it! True
    | story:

    Chicken/egg. Technically much simpler and cheaper to provide in the hand
    set. Also as none of the phone manufactures knew when or which carrier
    would be on line first none wanted to be left at the gate.

    Begin Not Me quote:

    ; | For some strange reason though, they were mandated to be in the phones
    ; | before the emergency services were mandated to be able to use it! True
    ; | story:
    ; Chicken/egg. Technically much simpler and cheaper to provide in the hand
    ; set. Also as none of the phone manufactures knew when or which carrier
    ; would be on line first none wanted to be left at the gate.

    I just find it annoying that apparently the FCC made this big deal
    about having the technology in the hands of the consumer ASAP because
    of the Great Safety it can provide, but left the other end dangling.
    What good is it to have an emergency locater beacon, if no one can
    receive the signal?

    It's backwards. The emergency services should have gotten the
    equipment to receive it at the same time or prior to the consumers
    getting their end.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "My lord?" "Actually, we just call him General Hammond." "I'd like to
    debrief ASAP, Colonel." "Yes, my lord." - Captain Kyle Rogers, Jack
    O'Neill and General Hammond, SG1

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:19:08 GMT, "dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma"
    <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote:

    >Evan, the correct term would be aGPS, Assisted GPS. While I haven't tried
    >it, the 7135 will take an SD card. There is an SD card GPS that works with
    >palm applications. Therefore, you should be able to get your palm
    >applications to do GPS :-) Then you'll have two forms of gps:
    >the aGPS, and the GPS via the SD card. Via the SD card it will (should)
    >work with palm applications that are GPS compatible. dr

    That's what I thought too, but there's a Kyocera7135 yahoo group
    (kyocera7135@yahoogroups.com) and a user there swears that the 7135
    has GPS. Someone asked about getting it to work, I told him the same
    thing, GPSOne, and he responded:

    The 7135 definitely does have a GPS receiver, a rather nice one with
    256 correlators. Almost all new CDMA phones have had one for a couple
    of years now.
    <SNIP>
    and
    Yes, I’m very familiar with GPSOne having worked on it. GPSOne uses
    three different methods to calculate the position, including GPS as is
    stated in your quote. The GPS method can work on its own without the
    other two methods, but the other two methods are always available if
    you have access to a CDMA signal. A while back somebody sent out a
    URL, I thought it was to this list, which linked to maybe 6 or 8
    applications that ran on the 7135 that used GPS. I remember 1 or 2
    were golf courses. You can probably find these on Handango if you
    want to spend the time to look.

    I'd love for him to be right... But I tend to agree, there is no GPS
    on the 7135.

    Pathaway who makes a GPS app seems to believe it's accessable:

    http://www.pathaway.com/faq.htm

    I have a Kyocera 7135 Palm phone. Does your software work with the
    internal GPS of this model?

    Yes PathAway will run on the 7135. Note, the internal GPS is not
    accessable to the application at this time. We are waiting on Kyocera
    to provide the specs for this. However, you can attach an external GPS
    with a serial adapter cable. See our our links page under "GPS Cables
    and Accessories" for information on where to get GPS Cables
    http://pathaway.com/links.htm.

    Evan

    Not Me wrote:
    > "Jeffrey Kaplan"
    > |
    > | ; Evan, the correct term would be aGPS, Assisted GPS. While I haven't tried
    > |
    > | I thought it was "eGPS", for "Emergency GPS". IE, it's a locator so
    > | that compatibly equipped emergency services can locate you if/when you
    > | dial 911 on the cellphone.
    > |
    > | For some strange reason though, they were mandated to be in the phones
    > | before the emergency services were mandated to be able to use it! True
    > | story:
    >
    > Chicken/egg. Technically much simpler and cheaper to provide in the hand
    > set. Also as none of the phone manufactures knew when or which carrier
    > would be on line first none wanted to be left at the gate.

    It's called Assisted GPS. Normal GPS units cannot work unless they have
    a clear view of some number of GPS satellites (4 I think). This means
    not indoors, not on a city street between skyscrapers, etc. With aGPS,
    the cell site "assists" the phone by doing the bulk of the GPS protocol
    (determining which satellites are in view, what parameters to set to
    pick them up, various correction factors, etc). The cell site then tells
    the phone to listen for the specified satellites, and report back to the
    cell site the observed timing offsets. The cell site can then compute
    the location of the phone, and report it to the E911 center. The phone
    can get these offsets info with a much weaker signal than a normal GPS
    unit (lots fewer bits to have to pick up), and since the location of the
    cell site is known (and the mobile is near it), fewer satellites need to
    be seen. Note that the phone itself never computes its own location.
    However, they could arrange for the cell site to return the location
    info to an application on the phone.

    As mentioned, not very many E911 centers are equipped to use this info.
    Usually, the reason is "budget". The feds can make all the rules they
    want, but the local agency is stuck with the bill, and if they don't
    have the money, then it doesn't happen.

    Also note that aGPS is not the only means for complying with the
    emergency location requirement. I believe others are using triangulation
    techniques based on the mobile signal being picked up by several towers.
    Of course, that doesn't work too well in rural areas, where there may be
    only one site visible to the phone.

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:19:08 GMT, "dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma"
    > <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Evan, the correct term would be aGPS, Assisted GPS. While I haven't tried
    >>it, the 7135 will take an SD card. There is an SD card GPS that works with
    >>palm applications. Therefore, you should be able to get your palm
    >>applications to do GPS :-) Then you'll have two forms of gps:
    >>the aGPS, and the GPS via the SD card. Via the SD card it will (should)
    >>work with palm applications that are GPS compatible. dr
    >

    > That's what I thought too, but there's a Kyocera7135 yahoo group
    > (kyocera7135@yahoogroups.com) and a user there swears that the 7135
    > has GPS. Someone asked about getting it to work, I told him the same
    > thing, GPSOne, and he responded:
    >
    > The 7135 definitely does have a GPS receiver, a rather nice one with
    > 256 correlators. Almost all new CDMA phones have had one for a couple
    > of years now.
    > <SNIP>
    > and
    > Yes, I’m very familiar with GPSOne having worked on it. GPSOne uses
    > three different methods to calculate the position, including GPS as is
    > stated in your quote. The GPS method can work on its own without the
    > other two methods, but the other two methods are always available if
    > you have access to a CDMA signal. A while back somebody sent out a
    > URL, I thought it was to this list, which linked to maybe 6 or 8
    > applications that ran on the 7135 that used GPS. I remember 1 or 2
    > were golf courses. You can probably find these on Handango if you
    > want to spend the time to look.
    >
    > I'd love for him to be right... But I tend to agree, there is no GPS
    > on the 7135.
    >
    > Pathaway who makes a GPS app seems to believe it's accessable:
    >
    > http://www.pathaway.com/faq.htm
    >
    > I have a Kyocera 7135 Palm phone. Does your software work with the
    > internal GPS of this model?
    >
    > Yes PathAway will run on the 7135. Note, the internal GPS is not
    > accessable to the application at this time. We are waiting on Kyocera
    > to provide the specs for this. However, you can attach an external GPS
    > with a serial adapter cable. See our our links page under "GPS Cables
    > and Accessories" for information on where to get GPS Cables
    > http://pathaway.com/links.htm.
    >
    > Evan

    The 7135 is a Palm PDA, so it might have built-in standalone GPS
    functionality. But this is not the same aGPS which is part of (all, I
    think) VZW cell phones. True, the phones have the hardware to receive
    GPS signals, but they are not full GPS units. www.snaptrack.com explains
    the details of aGPS.

    CharlesH wrote:
    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:19:08 GMT, "dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma"
    >> <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Evan, the correct term would be aGPS, Assisted GPS. While I haven't
    >>> tried
    >>> it, the 7135 will take an SD card. There is an SD card GPS that
    >>> works with
    >>> palm applications. Therefore, you should be able to get your palm
    >>> applications to do GPS :-) Then you'll have two forms of gps:
    >>> the aGPS, and the GPS via the SD card. Via the SD card it will (should)
    >>> work with palm applications that are GPS compatible. dr
    >>

    >> That's what I thought too, but there's a Kyocera7135 yahoo group
    >> (kyocera7135@yahoogroups.com) and a user there swears that the 7135
    >> has GPS. Someone asked about getting it to work, I told him the same
    >> thing, GPSOne, and he responded:
    >>
    >> The 7135 definitely does have a GPS receiver, a rather nice one with
    >> 256 correlators. Almost all new CDMA phones have had one for a couple
    >> of years now.
    >> <SNIP>
    >> and
    >> Yes, I’m very familiar with GPSOne having worked on it. GPSOne uses
    >> three different methods to calculate the position, including GPS as is
    >> stated in your quote. The GPS method can work on its own without the
    >> other two methods, but the other two methods are always available if
    >> you have access to a CDMA signal. A while back somebody sent out a
    >> URL, I thought it was to this list, which linked to maybe 6 or 8
    >> applications that ran on the 7135 that used GPS. I remember 1 or 2
    >> were golf courses. You can probably find these on Handango if you
    >> want to spend the time to look.
    >>
    >> I'd love for him to be right... But I tend to agree, there is no GPS
    >> on the 7135.
    >>
    >> Pathaway who makes a GPS app seems to believe it's accessable:
    >>
    >> http://www.pathaway.com/faq.htm
    >>
    >> I have a Kyocera 7135 Palm phone. Does your software work with the
    >> internal GPS of this model?
    >> Yes PathAway will run on the 7135. Note, the internal GPS is not
    >> accessable to the application at this time. We are waiting on Kyocera
    >> to provide the specs for this. However, you can attach an external GPS
    >> with a serial adapter cable. See our our links page under "GPS Cables
    >> and Accessories" for information on where to get GPS Cables
    >> http://pathaway.com/links.htm.
    >>
    >> Evan
    >

    > The 7135 is a Palm PDA, so it might have built-in standalone GPS
    > functionality. But this is not the same aGPS which is part of (all, I
    > think) VZW cell phones. True, the phones have the hardware to receive
    > GPS signals, but they are not full GPS units. www.snaptrack.com explains
    > the details of aGPS.

    OK, I've been following this thread. On my 7135, under phone
    prefs/phone service, there is a menu choice for Position Location, with
    two options---911 only and Location On.

    I "think" I understand that the 911 Only option works only when calling
    911 from the phone. Yes/No ??

    The other option would seem to indicate that you can have something
    different and that, with the proper GPS app, be able to use the phone as
    a GPS device. Yes/No ???

    Tom S.
    Houston, TX

    Tom Simchak wrote:
    > CharlesH wrote:
    >> Evan Platt wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:19:08 GMT,

    >>> That's what I thought too, but there's a Kyocera7135
    >>> yahoo group (kyocera7135@yahoogroups.com) and a user
    >>> there swears that the 7135 has GPS. Someone asked about
    >>> getting it to work, I told him the same thing, GPSOne,
    >>> and he responded:
    >>>
    >>> The 7135 definitely does have a GPS receiver, a rather
    >>> nice one with 256 correlators. Almost all new CDMA
    >>> phones have had one for a couple of years now.
    >>> <SNIP>
    >>> and
    >>> Yes, I’m very familiar with GPSOne having worked on it.
    >>> GPSOne uses three different methods to calculate the
    >>> position, including GPS as is stated in your quote.
    >>> The GPS method can work on its own without the other
    >>> two methods, but the other two methods are always
    >>> available if you have access to a CDMA signal. A while
    >>> back somebody sent out a URL, I thought it was to this
    >>> list, which linked to maybe 6 or 8 applications that
    >>> ran on the 7135 that used GPS. I remember 1 or 2 were
    >>> golf courses. You can probably find these on Handango
    >>> if you want to spend the time to look.
    >>>
    >>> I'd love for him to be right... But I tend to agree,
    >>> there is no GPS on the 7135.
    >>>
    >>> Pathaway who makes a GPS app seems to believe it's
    >>> accessable:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pathaway.com/faq.htm
    >>>
    >>> I have a Kyocera 7135 Palm phone. Does your software
    >>> work with the internal GPS of this model?
    >>> Yes PathAway will run on the 7135. Note, the internal
    >>> GPS is not accessable to the application at this time.
    >>> We are waiting on Kyocera to provide the specs for
    >>> this. However, you can attach an external GPS with a
    >>> serial adapter cable. See our our links page under "GPS
    >>> Cables and Accessories" for information on where to get
    >>> GPS Cables http://pathaway.com/links.htm.
    >>>
    >>> Evan
    >>

    >> The 7135 is a Palm PDA, so it might have built-in
    >> standalone GPS functionality. But this is not the same
    >> aGPS which is part of (all, I think) VZW cell phones.
    >> True, the phones have the hardware to receive GPS
    >> signals, but they are not full GPS units.
    >> www.snaptrack.com explains the details of aGPS.
    >
    > OK, I've been following this thread. On my 7135, under
    > phone prefs/phone service, there is a menu choice for
    > Position Location, with two options---911 only and
    > Location On.
    >
    > I "think" I understand that the 911 Only option works
    > only when calling 911 from the phone. Yes/No ??
    >
    > The other option would seem to indicate that you can have
    > something different and that, with the proper GPS app, be
    > able to use the phone as a GPS device. Yes/No ???

    I don't think so. It means that when they get around to it you
    will probably be able to subscribe to service(s) that are location
    dependent. For example as you drive around you might get
    local traffic alerts sent to you via txt msg, etc. All this would
    involve and be dependent on the cellular network.

    -Quick

    "Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
    snip

    > OK, I've been following this thread. On my 7135, under phone prefs/phone
    > service, there is a menu choice for Position Location, with two
    > options---911 only and Location On.
    >
    > I "think" I understand that the 911 Only option works only when calling
    > 911 from the phone. Yes/No ??
    >
    > The other option would seem to indicate that you can have something
    > different and that, with the proper GPS app, be able to use the phone as a
    > GPS device. Yes/No ???

    No......

    The other option is to enable carrier provided location based services (of
    which there are none available at this time). These can be things like an
    application that can tell you your current location, but it will involve
    connecting to a carrier provided server and will probably involve a fee for
    it's use. It can also include things like receiving SMS messages about
    products that are on sale at the store you happen to be passing. Since it
    allows the carrier to know your location at any time, rather then just when
    you call 911, the location based services can be disable at the phone.

    There are no applicaitons that can provide user access tot eh aGPS
    information without the carrier providing a service.

    To use a GPS with a 7135, you need an SD GPS or Serial GPS with the correct
    cable, and commonly availbale software (I recommend Mapopolis, YMMV)

    Alan

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:49:58 GMT, Tom Simchak <not.today@thankyou.org>
    wrote:

    >OK, I've been following this thread. On my 7135, under phone
    >prefs/phone service, there is a menu choice for Position Location, with
    >two options---911 only and Location On.
    >
    >I "think" I understand that the 911 Only option works only when calling
    >911 from the phone. Yes/No ??

    Yes.

    >The other option would seem to indicate that you can have something
    >different and that, with the proper GPS app, be able to use the phone as
    >a GPS device. Yes/No ???

    No. This would allow carrier based apps - i.e. going to yahoo.com
    would show me the nearest movie theatre or restaurant.

Verizon GPS Internet Service Providers