Windows XP Repair - Help

Hi

I suffered a failure on my Xp Home system, and my Sygate firewall
refused to start. I tried to use System Restore to repair, only to find
that "System Restore has been turned off" and I had no restore points
to use!

No problem, I thought, I can restore from the "System State" backup
that I took last week. I've never restored from "System State" backups
before and I wasn't certain what to expect. To be honest it now seems a
bit of a mess. I'm unsure what state my PC is now in after the "System
State" restore. System Restore still seems to be turning itself off (I
have no restore points at all), the firewall will still not start and
the Video drivers have now reverted to a very basic default set.

Can I recover this PC without re-installing windows or is it best to
bite the bullet? Should I consider a Repair installation first ?

Sigh.
5 answers Last reply
More about windows repair help

    <david.billingham@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I suffered a failure on my Xp Home system, and my Sygate firewall
    > refused to start. I tried to use System Restore to repair, only to find
    > that "System Restore has been turned off" and I had no restore points
    > to use!
    >
    > No problem, I thought, I can restore from the "System State" backup
    > that I took last week. I've never restored from "System State" backups
    > before and I wasn't certain what to expect. To be honest it now seems a
    > bit of a mess. I'm unsure what state my PC is now in after the "System
    > State" restore. System Restore still seems to be turning itself off (I
    > have no restore points at all), the firewall will still not start and
    > the Video drivers have now reverted to a very basic default set.
    >
    > Can I recover this PC without re-installing windows or is it best to
    > bite the bullet? Should I consider a Repair installation first ?
    >
    > Sigh.

    System Restore only monitors certain key/critical windows system files. It
    would not have restored your Sygate firewall or any other applications you
    have installed after installing Windows. System Restore is not a backup
    utility.

    As far as your question is concerned, you have not provided enough
    information for an answer. What program/software did you use to create your
    system state backup? Did you follow the recommended procedures for creating
    a backup and restoring from that backup?

    Bobby

    Hi *david.billingham@ntlworld.com* :

    > Hi
    >
    > I suffered a failure on my Xp Home system, and my Sygate firewall
    > refused to start. I tried to use System Restore to repair, only to find
    > that "System Restore has been turned off" and I had no restore points
    > to use!
    >
    > No problem, I thought, I can restore from the "System State" backup
    > that I took last week. I've never restored from "System State" backups
    > before and I wasn't certain what to expect. To be honest it now seems a
    > bit of a mess. I'm unsure what state my PC is now in after the "System
    > State" restore. System Restore still seems to be turning itself off (I
    > have no restore points at all), the firewall will still not start and
    > the Video drivers have now reverted to a very basic default set.
    >
    > Can I recover this PC without re-installing windows or is it best to
    > bite the bullet? Should I consider a Repair installation first ?
    >
    > Sigh.

    1- Did the system state backup was recent ?
    2- Did you stop the system restore by mistake or it
    was stopped otherwise ?
    3- What is the reason of Sygate problem ?
    Some malwares kill firewalls...
    4- You say "bit of a mess" : not far from the truth :-D

    I guess the easiest way to fix that mess is :

    1) to *repair* W xp :

    Works only with a genuine W xp CD
    ( not OEM [per]version of W xp such as HP-Compaq...):

    - Set the bios to have the CD drive as primary bootable device
    and HD as secondary...
    - Boot with the W xp CD
    - Start the "installation" ... but don't used the repair option at this
    moment (this is the recovery console...).
    Let the installation program find that you have W xp on the Hard Disk !
    At this moment choose *repair* ...

    then

    2) If the W xp CD was a "pre-sp2" you have to makes all updates of W xp.
    (This can be avoided in the future by creating a sp2 CD with the Slip
    Stream procedure:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm )

    3) Make a complete security check

    Update your anti-virus and anti-spywares
    and run a complete scan in safe mode...

    Double check with this :

    TrendMicro : disable your AV before to avoid a false positive then:

    The "sysclean":
    +
    recent virus patterns:

    put in the same folder and start it...

    + online scan :

    www.trendmicro.com

    4) a most easier way to backup the W xp registry
    is Erunt from Lars Hederer:
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

    Hope this help.
    Let us know.

    :)

    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)

    Guys

    Thank you for these suggestions. I will try them out over the weekend.
    The more I think about it, the more I think that I may have picked up a
    virus / spyware - although it has not been detected by scanning with
    Norton Antivirus and Adaware (both with latest signatures). Just before
    I detected the initial problems, the system mysteriously rebooted
    itself (installing something?). What better protection for a virus /
    spyware than to disable the firewall and also turn off System Restore.

    Thanks

    Hi

    Can you create a System Restore checkpoint manually and then use that - not
    sure why SR should be turning itself off? The video drivers can be
    downloaded/reinstalled from the card's manufacturer's web site. The
    firewall can be reinstalled as well.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    <david.billingham@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I suffered a failure on my Xp Home system, and my Sygate firewall
    > refused to start. I tried to use System Restore to repair, only to find
    > that "System Restore has been turned off" and I had no restore points
    > to use!
    >
    > No problem, I thought, I can restore from the "System State" backup
    > that I took last week. I've never restored from "System State" backups
    > before and I wasn't certain what to expect. To be honest it now seems a
    > bit of a mess. I'm unsure what state my PC is now in after the "System
    > State" restore. System Restore still seems to be turning itself off (I
    > have no restore points at all), the firewall will still not start and
    > the Video drivers have now reverted to a very basic default set.
    >
    > Can I recover this PC without re-installing windows or is it best to
    > bite the bullet? Should I consider a Repair installation first ?
    >
    > Sigh.

    Hi

    Have a look in the Event Viewer - there may be an entry there that
    references the reboot. If you do find an 'Error', could you please post the
    Event ID and Source. Have you tried the following anti spyware programs as
    well:

    MS AntiSpyWare -
    Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.or­g/
    CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloa­ds/cwshredder.zip
    Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

    Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.co­m/spywareblaster.html

    Also see the following links:

    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.ht­m
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/un­wanted.htm

    --

    > Guys
    >
    > Thank you for these suggestions. I will try them out over the weekend.
    > The more I think about it, the more I think that I may have picked up a
    > virus / spyware - although it has not been detected by scanning with
    > Norton Antivirus and Adaware (both with latest signatures). Just before
    > I detected the initial problems, the system mysteriously rebooted
    > itself (installing something?). What better protection for a virus /
    > spyware than to disable the firewall and also turn off System Restore.
    >
    > Thanks

Windows XP System Restore