Shuttle SN25P - will this work?

G

I'm planning to take apart my current system and use the following components in a SN25P.
Athlon64 3800+ S939
HIS X800 XL IceQ
1GB PC3200
WD Raptor 74GB
LGE GSA4163B
my two concerns are will my graphics card fit? The IceQ is a big graphics card even by 2 slot standards & will the the Raptor get enough ventilation?

Your thoughts please.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, most cubes won't support dual-slot VGA cooling because of the way the cards are positioned. But that's OK, since cubes are a bad idea and only sell based on looks, not function.

If you want small and flexible go with Micro ATX anyway.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

First off the SFF system is being compared to the SilverStone SG01/MSI RS480M2-IL combination. Secondly my requirements are rather meager, I want to put down a system with decent processing & graphics performance with a fast hard drive & gigabit ethernet in the smallest box possible. The SN25P with the Rad X800 XL seems to do that rather well.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Both are huge for their capacity, and the SilverStone is even larger by about 1.8 inches.

There are small-footprint Micro ATX towers that hold Micro ATX boards and standard cards, with only around 5.5 inches of width. That's around 2 inches narrower than standard width for a Flex-ATX based SFF, and over 3.5" narrower than the SilverStone. Narrower means easier to carry and less desktop space.

For HTPC there are desktops (horizontal cases) with similar dimensions to the tower design I mentioned, but laid sideways. In fact, some cases are designed for both orientations.

Those designs normally allow for SFX power supplies, which are available in reasonably large capacities, and are easier to find than the special ones used in most cubes.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

True, however the SN25P seems to be about the only S939 SFF machine that has a hope of housing my graphics card (I got the X800 XL to last a reasonable time not to replace in >6 months). As for the Sugo sure it's big but it has several advantages, firstly I'll be able to use my current PSU (Antec NeoPower), it doesn't use a riser card (PCI-E riser cards seem to be few & far between) & it has to be one of the best looking small chassis I've seen, I'm aware that it is big however it doesn't <i>look</i> big. However if you wish to throw some links to chassis which you think will do a better job you're more than welcome.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That depends on exactly what you're after. If you're looking for a small footprint:

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811190018" target="_new">Something nice</A>
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811200021" target="_new">Something "extreme"</A>
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811124108" target="_new">Something classy</A>

All three are over two inches narrower than an SFF cube. Two of them have 80mm fans. The last one has room for two optical drives, but you'd likely have to forgo using the lower bay to make room for your card.

G

thanks for the suggestions but I'd ruled two of them out and the Just PC chassis, the one I'd not seen before, I think looks awful. This is my main problem, I think most chassis look awful.