Sign in with
Your question

Fps problems

Last response: in Video Games
February 13, 2012 5:51:05 PM

Hello,
I built my computer about 5 months ago and ever since i've owned it and played League of Legends, ive had two problems. The sound in the game repeats(example: enemy has been slain slain slain.) and i get random fps drops. the fps drops are the most random thing, i could be walking down my lane at thge start of the game and i go from 200-300fps to 20 for a second then it's fine and sometimes(very rarely) the fps drop can be so bad it lasts like 3 seconds and my entire screen freezes up and blacks out. i could be in a big teamfight where spells are being used left and right and nothing happens. it is completely random.
My computer is very good and WELL exceeds the requirements for LoL.

SPECS:
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee133/lukejsp/specs-...
I have tried reinstalling LoL, wiping my computer clean from scratch and reinstalling windows .
I dont have any sound problems in Skyrim, however the fps can freeze randomly sometimes but not like in LoL. nowhere near as often. i also heard skyrim has this thing called mouse smoothing and that can cause random fps freezes when doing combat or something. LoL does not have mouse smoothing though so i can eliminate that for Lol's problem.
I have games recorded on my stream channel here:
own3d.tv/1uke
Every game has the problems and the most recent game titled short fps video i made just so you dont have to sit through an hourlong game. although since i cut it short you dont get to see the sound problems.
I want to clarify these problems happen regardless if im recording or not, LoL can be the only application i have running and these same problems still persist.
thanks for any help.

More about : fps problems

February 13, 2012 6:17:20 PM

Lol, don't know when you are laughing or naming the game!

your specs are great, try using another drivers, new ones or old ones, maybe you are using a driver with a problem.

try the 290.53 BETA
m
l
February 13, 2012 6:50:24 PM

Oh, sorry hahaha.
im not laughing out oud when i say LoL :p 
I am using the recommended driver 8.17.12.8562
you really think a beta driver will fix this?
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2012 7:03:20 PM

The beta 290.53 drivers are really good across the board in other games. Very stable drivers. Worth a shot.

Also what is your ram configuration? I see 12gb so I can only presume 3 sticks of 4gig ram. I'm not too familiar with this setup but the third stick can't run dual channel no? Could somehow be related perhaps? LOL is so far from demanding it's hard to see how since I'm not sure it even requires more than 2gb of system ram to play lol. Just spitballing here.
m
l
February 13, 2012 8:29:48 PM

Hello, from reading your post there's two things that jump at me that might be causing the potential problems:

1. your game is not fps locked or vsynced, causing the card to run to 200 fps. this can occasionally give you dips from background processes and such since you're running your card "balls out" any sort of load outside the game might interefe and cause severe lag.

2. you say you're recording your games, are you recording them at all times? Have you tried not recording? does the fps still drop? if you're running the record stream on the same HDD as the working directory for OS/league you might be experiencing lag due to capture program

3. what is the NIC on that motherboard or do you have a separate card for that (probably not)? bigfoot/killer network cards have been known for having compatibility issues with league
m
l
February 13, 2012 9:59:35 PM

AntiZig said:
Hello, from reading your post there's two things that jump at me that might be causing the potential problems:

1. your game is not fps locked or vsynced, causing the card to run to 200 fps. this can occasionally give you dips from background processes and such since you're running your card "balls out" any sort of load outside the game might interefe and cause severe lag.

2. you say you're recording your games, are you recording them at all times? Have you tried not recording? does the fps still drop? if you're running the record stream on the same HDD as the working directory for OS/league you might be experiencing lag due to capture program

3. what is the NIC on that motherboard or do you have a separate card for that (probably not)? bigfoot/killer network cards have been known for having compatibility issues with league

1. I can fps lock the game and vsynch it. problems still happen.

2. i stated in my post that the problems happen regardless, LoL can be the only thing running and it will happen

3. I am not as well versed in computers as most, can you explain this more?

m
l
February 13, 2012 10:32:52 PM

the last one I'm referring to your network card, whether built-in motherboard nic or a dedicated pci card.

if you're not sure how to check, run > cmd /k ipconfig /all > hit ok

find the Lan adapter for wired connection or wireless adapter if you're on wireless.

bigfoot/killer network cards have had issues with league, I haven't heard whether the issues have been resolved or not. It's a long shot but is worth considering.

what is your typical ping during a normal game?

other thing to consider: check your temps and utilization levels while running the game when the lags occur (set up logging or graphs).

The only other things that would give you random errors is RAM or PSU, but in those cases your whole system would be crashing, not just league. perhaps as casualcolors mentioned, try pulling one of the ram sticks out (if it really is 3 sticks, could be 3gbx4).

That's all I've got so far.
m
l
February 13, 2012 10:52:33 PM

/k ipconfig /all
that is not working in the cmd prompt
/k
/ipconfig
neither are acceptable commands it says.

the ram i dont think is an issue.
i took my computer to a local computer shop where i had it built after i bought the parts on newegg.
i wanted them to see if there was any problems they couldnt find any and we went ahead and upgraded my ram from 4 gigs to 12 since i stream and stuff and i think they would have noticed any problems then and there.

how would i set up logs and graphs of my computer's performance during games and things.
m
l
February 13, 2012 10:56:04 PM

ok i did ipconfig /all what is it im suppose to be looking at?
m
l
February 13, 2012 11:31:17 PM

try the 290.53 drivers, if don't fix the issue just rollback the driver.
m
l
February 14, 2012 4:07:31 AM

I did the drivers, didnt help. sound still repeats and fps still drop in LoL.
m
l
February 14, 2012 11:25:32 AM

well for temperatures you can use speed fan graphs

alternatively you can get hwinfo64 and use the logging option on the sensors window to write to a file and then look through that.

or whichever other program you prefer to monitor your resources, you just want to look at it over time, since alt tabbing when you lag to check current readings isn't a reliable way to check things.

in regard to ipconfig, you're looking for the name of the adapter (usually listed under description field)
m
l
February 14, 2012 8:25:50 PM

Im not very good at reading this cmd prompt, there are a lot of things that say adapter in them im not exactly sure which one i should be telling you.
m
l
February 15, 2012 7:27:44 PM

which connection are you on? read my posts above...

honestly for nothing better to do just list all of them?

it's not like I'm going to come to your house and steal your computer just by the name of the network card adapter in your machine...
m
l
!