Identifying Compaq Presario Model

I "inherited" a Compaq Presario but am unable to find a model number on it.
It has a curved front panel with an oval Plexiglass? door which slides
up to reveal a couple of UPS ports and what I believe is a Fire wire
port (marked with 1394)
It has a Aspen2 motherboard with an AMD Athlon k7 900 processor in a
long slot.
Can anyone help me identify it and refer me to a source for
documentation on the computer especially the mobo
TIA
Chuck

hh

Uh, check the Compaq FAQ.
HH

"ka6uup" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I "inherited" a Compaq Presario but am unable to find a model number on
it.
> It has a curved front panel with an oval Plexiglass? door which slides
> up to reveal a couple of UPS ports and what I believe is a Fire wire
> port (marked with 1394)
> It has a Aspen2 motherboard with an AMD Athlon k7 900 processor in a
> long slot.
> Can anyone help me identify it and refer me to a source for
> documentation on the computer especially the mobo
> TIA
> Chuck

Well, I did that plus tried the HP/Compaq website and could not find
anything.
Perhaps you could be more specific
Thanks
Chuck

HH wrote:
> Uh, check the Compaq FAQ.
> HH
>
> "ka6uup" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>
>>I "inherited" a Compaq Presario but am unable to find a model number on
>
> it.
>
>>It has a curved front panel with an oval Plexiglass? door which slides
>>up to reveal a couple of UPS ports and what I believe is a Fire wire
>>port (marked with 1394)
>>It has a Aspen2 motherboard with an AMD Athlon k7 900 processor in a
>>long slot.
>>Can anyone help me identify it and refer me to a source for
>>documentation on the computer especially the mobo
>>TIA
>>Chuck

I should mention that there is no apparent model number anywhere on the
computer.
Chuck

HH wrote:

> Uh, check the Compaq FAQ.
> HH
>
> "ka6uup" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>
>>I "inherited" a Compaq Presario but am unable to find a model number on
>
> it.
>
>>It has a curved front panel with an oval Plexiglass? door which slides
>>up to reveal a couple of UPS ports and what I believe is a Fire wire
>>port (marked with 1394)
>>It has a Aspen2 motherboard with an AMD Athlon k7 900 processor in a
>>long slot.
>>Can anyone help me identify it and refer me to a source for
>>documentation on the computer especially the mobo
>>TIA
>>Chuck

hh

Well, as usual, HP has dropped another helpful tool for its Compaq customers
(First, it was Consumer Tech Info where reasonably complete info on almost
ALL Presario desktops, laptops and accessories was available ). Now it's the
autodetect link on the main parts page.
I have updated the FAQ to correct this.
Anyway, you might try:
1. Hitting F10 at the Compaq logo at bootup to enter the BIOS and see if an
"Asset Tag" is listed, or:
2. Locating a little utility called Compaq Diagnostics for Windows. When
installed (it's available as a regular SoftPaq download) and run, it will
give detailed info, including an asset number which normally contains a
configuration code. You likely will have to search the FTP site for it or
possibly just pick another Presario model that had it, and used the same
Windows version that is installed on your Presario.

> I should mention that there is no apparent model number anywhere on the
> computer.
> Chuck
>
> HH wrote:
>
> > Uh, check the Compaq FAQ.
> > HH
> >
> > "ka6uup" <ka6uup@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>I "inherited" a Compaq Presario but am unable to find a model number on
> >
> > it.
> >
> >>It has a curved front panel with an oval Plexiglass? door which slides
> >>up to reveal a couple of UPS ports and what I believe is a Fire wire
> >>port (marked with 1394)
> >>It has a Aspen2 motherboard with an AMD Athlon k7 900 processor in a
> >>long slot.
> >>Can anyone help me identify it and refer me to a source for
> >>documentation on the computer especially the mobo
> >>TIA
> >>Chuck

Thanks for your help.
It turns out to be a Presario 7994.