What is a dirty volume?

I get a message that the volume is dirty when I run scan disk in XP. What
does this mean?

Thanks

-Paul
1 answer Last reply
More about what dirty volume

    If a volume's dirty bit is set, this indicates that the file system may be
    in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because the volume is
    online and has outstanding changes, because changes were made to the volume
    and the computer shutdown before the changes were committed to disk, or
    because corruption was detected on the volume. If the dirty bit is set when
    the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the consistency of the volume.

    When Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to a
    file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The Winlogon
    service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the Application
    Event log. One event log message for each volume checked is recorded. So
    check the application event log.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "pvakerling" wrote:
    |I get a message that the volume is dirty when I run scan disk in XP. What
    | does this mean?
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | -Paul

Microsoft Windows XP