Skyrim Framerate drop and LAG!

frozt911

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Hi all, i am experiencing lagg and framerate drop whenever i move and look around in skyrim, if I just stare at a wall it's okay and my framerate is 50, but if I move around or look at high detailed stuff like bon fire, landscape and villages it drops to around 20-25. This is bugging me out because i can play every other game i own on my computer at ultra whithout any problems. I looked at some of the other threads about similar problems concerning skyrim but no one really offers any good answer on how to fix this, also i checked out the benchmarking of skyrim, and according to that i should be somewhere between 50-70 fps :/ on avrage. I have already tried "bgamepadenable=0" fix, putting shadow detail to low and "IpresentInterval=0" and they did not work.
I am trying to run it at ultra with AA x 8, AF x16.
I think that should not be a problem for my rig, though i might be wrong. Any suggestions and answers would be much appreciated
SPECS:
Video: XFX Radeon HD 6970 2GB
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @3,40 Ghz
RAM:Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67
System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Sound:Creative SB X-FI Titanium

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
You're right, your rig is a beast.

That said, you can blame it on the Vanilla Engine. The way textures load up on your VRAM and how it goes from RAM to VRAM makes it so that there's a hug load that needs to transfer from RAM to VRAM in a very short time. If you're looking against a village (say you're looking at mountains) and then suddenly look back at the village, there's a huge chunck of texture that needs to transfer very rapidly and that's why you're experiencing this "sluttering".

As for FPS dropping, this is a slightly different issue. This has to do with having a huge "amount" of objects, character schedules, and overall wind/weather/shadow calculations happening. From what I understand (but have not tested), the vanilla engine doesn't use more than 2 cores. So a dual core 4Ghz will perform better than a Quad at 3.4Ghz.

The best way to counter these lags/FPS drops are by playing with your settings.

If I had your system, I would experiment with the <uExterior Cell Buffer>

Here's a link to the guide: http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweak-guide

Jump to the ini Tweak page for more info on this...

Hope this helps.

frozt911

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

Thank you very much, I am currently away from my computer, but i will check this out as soon as i get home:)

frozt911

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

Will do :)

1] Is the game modded? are you using high res and texture mods, these can cause slow downs if incompatible with each other.

2] Are you using the SKyrim free DLC HIGH RES upgrade, if so it makes the game a true DX 11 game and that will account for lower FPS.

3] If you are running vanilla, no mods and having that return then you probably have driver issues. I can run the vanilla game, stock with a 560ti high at 40-60FPS easy.

Since I run added high res packs I have had to drop settings to all high, max res (1600x900) 8/8 AA/AF. It looks beautiful and plays at higher FPS. I am generally not a graphics whore so to me it looks great, to someone else it doesn't, its a dog eat dog world.

what? higher res textures make the game dx11? where did you dig that up?

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

I was thinking the same thing...Vanilla doesn't even have DX10 elements in it...let alone DX11.

frozt911

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
The only mod I am using is High res texture packs, it's still dx9 and ALL my drivers are fully updated.

G

ANSWER RIGHT HERE READ K: ok windows 7 k rightclick there the file is not the one where u click play but the one that the play button goes to. then rightclick tht and then compatablity then chose these

[x]Run this program in compatibility mode for:
Windows XP (service pack 3)

[ ]Run in 256 colors
[x]run in 640 x 480 screen resolution
[x]Disable visual themes
[x]disable desktop composition
[ ]disable display scaling on high DPI settings

[x]run this program as an administrator

and u should get no more lag if i helped then add me on skype cloud8656 these are my settings and i have a low end comp soooo see ya ^-^

dfuknb

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I just bought the Legendary Edition and I cant even play the game on Low Setting yet it recommends Ultra on my rig. My Specs are

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell
ASUS R9270X-DC2T-2GD5 Radeon
ASUS Z87-DELUXE/QUAD
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128 SSD
WD BLACK SERIES WD1003FZEX 1TB
NZXT Kraken X60
NZXT HALE90 V2
NZXT H630

I know I can run most other games maxed out but this gives me the same issues. Frustrating!!!

JediJustin42069

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

WOW This helped with my frame stuttering on my High end PC! I am using the Legendary edition and was getting fps dips, tiny ones but it was enough to break the immersion of the game. I have a 4GB GTX 960 overclocked with a FX-8350 and 16 GB of 2133 RAM and the hitches and frame pacing was horrendous. This worked for me as far as I can tell. I have windows 10 so some of the options were not there. I right clicked on TESV.exe and on the compatibility tab i selected the XP service pack 3 and check marked "Disable scaling on high DPI settings" and of course "Run as administrator"! Thanks so much for this recommendation.