Virtual Memory Low/Overheating/BIOS Problems

Last year I purchased this computer from Radio Shack. It has given a lot of
grief, regarding the things I wrote in the subject line. A couple of months
ago I just saved everything to CD and started over with my rescue disks, but
am still getting some problems. I now keep my towers case open, with a
cooling fan running during the day, and it still seems warm. When I try to
work with photos, so I can print them, I get Virtual Memory messages. At one
point (before I reinstalled everything) I had gotten a message that my BIOS
needed to be replaced (but I have somehow lost that message)... does anything
think that getting a newer BIOS would help me? Any advice? I'm desperate
here.

--
Thanks so much for your help!

You dont give much on specs to youre hardware.....However,if a BIOS update
is available,install it,the mfgs dont come out with updates for no reason.As
far as the page file goes,R.click my
computer,properties,advanced,performance,
page file,change button,select "let windows manage" then click set 2X,close
out,a restart should be prompted.Working with pictures,can cause a drain on
memory,buy more ram memory,buy a better display adapter with more memory.

"Havent_got_a_clue" wrote:

> Last year I purchased this computer from Radio Shack. It has given a lot of
> grief, regarding the things I wrote in the subject line. A couple of months
> ago I just saved everything to CD and started over with my rescue disks, but
> am still getting some problems. I now keep my towers case open, with a
> cooling fan running during the day, and it still seems warm. When I try to
> work with photos, so I can print them, I get Virtual Memory messages. At one
> point (before I reinstalled everything) I had gotten a message that my BIOS
> needed to be replaced (but I have somehow lost that message)... does anything
> think that getting a newer BIOS would help me? Any advice? I'm desperate
> here.
>
> --
> Thanks so much for your help!

I don't know what specs to give... I can use a computer pretty well, but
fixing it is a problem. If you would tell me what I need to tell you, I
would do it... re: BIOS, the company said I'd have to buy a new BIOS... I
just bought this thing last summer!
And about changing the page file, it already says "Let windows manage"...

Thanks so much for your help!

"Andrew E." wrote:

> You dont give much on specs to youre hardware.....However,if a BIOS update
> is available,install it,the mfgs dont come out with updates for no reason.As
> far as the page file goes,R.click my
> computer,properties,advanced,performance,
> page file,change button,select "let windows manage" then click set 2X,close
> out,a restart should be prompted.Working with pictures,can cause a drain on
> memory,buy more ram memory,buy a better display adapter with more memory.
>
> "Havent_got_a_clue" wrote:
>
> > Last year I purchased this computer from Radio Shack. It has given a lot of
> > grief, regarding the things I wrote in the subject line. A couple of months
> > ago I just saved everything to CD and started over with my rescue disks, but
> > am still getting some problems. I now keep my towers case open, with a
> > cooling fan running during the day, and it still seems warm. When I try to
> > work with photos, so I can print them, I get Virtual Memory messages. At one
> > point (before I reinstalled everything) I had gotten a message that my BIOS
> > needed to be replaced (but I have somehow lost that message)... does anything
> > think that getting a newer BIOS would help me? Any advice? I'm desperate
> > here.
> >
> > --
> > Thanks so much for your help!

Virtual Memory.. letting Windows manage VM is a good thing, but how much
space is available for VM?.. if the hard drive is filled to near capacity,
there may not be enough room for Windows to create a page file large enough
to be of use.. also, when Windows manages the VM it sets the size relative
to the amount of RAM installed as a starter level..

So, specs required at this point are 1.. total RAM installed ~ 2.. total
size of hard drive ~ 3.. amount of reported free space on the drive..

Overheating.. is the CPU fan spinning fast and freely?.. you could try
carefully removing the four screws holding the fan to the heatsink, and
clean out the fins.. clean out all of the vents on the case, and check that
any auxiliary case fans are in working order.. if you have multiple drives
installed, the added heat generation by each additional device and the
necessary cabling could and would add to the overall heat in the case..

Do NOT upgrade the BIOS unless there is a very definite need so to do.. BIOS
upgrades are only necessary in the event that your computer does not
recognise an internal hardware device that will be of newer origin that the
system to which it is being fitted.. an example of this might be fitting an
800gb hard drive to a computer that only recognises 600gb.. one would hope
the motherboard manufacturer would have a BIOS update that would allow use
of the newer hardware..

BIOS upgrades, if available are free from manufacturer websites.. do NOT be
tempted to buy a BIOS upgrade.. the procedure for upgrading BIOS is not for
the unwary, and it is vital that the correct BIOS is used to upgrade..
deviations from this involve trips to computer stores looking for new
motherboards..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"Havent_got_a_clue" <Haventgotaclue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:14824729-746F-42C7-96C5-D507F77677B3@microsoft.com...
>I don't know what specs to give... I can use a computer pretty well, but
> fixing it is a problem. If you would tell me what I need to tell you, I
> would do it... re: BIOS, the company said I'd have to buy a new BIOS... I
> just bought this thing last summer!
> And about changing the page file, it already says "Let windows manage"...
>
> Thanks so much for your help!
>

> "Andrew E." wrote:
>
>> You dont give much on specs to youre hardware.....However,if a BIOS
>> update
>> is available,install it,the mfgs dont come out with updates for no
>> reason.As
>> far as the page file goes,R.click my
>> computer,properties,advanced,performance,
>> page file,change button,select "let windows manage" then click set
>> 2X,close
>> out,a restart should be prompted.Working with pictures,can cause a drain
>> on
>> memory,buy more ram memory,buy a better display adapter with more
>> memory.
>>
>> "Havent_got_a_clue" wrote:
>>
>> > Last year I purchased this computer from Radio Shack. It has given a
>> > lot of
>> > grief, regarding the things I wrote in the subject line. A couple of
>> > months
>> > ago I just saved everything to CD and started over with my rescue
>> > disks, but
>> > am still getting some problems. I now keep my towers case open, with a
>> > cooling fan running during the day, and it still seems warm. When I
>> > try to
>> > work with photos, so I can print them, I get Virtual Memory messages.
>> > At one
>> > point (before I reinstalled everything) I had gotten a message that my
>> > BIOS
>> > needed to be replaced (but I have somehow lost that message)... does
>> > anything
>> > think that getting a newer BIOS would help me? Any advice? I'm
>> > desperate
>> > here.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Thanks so much for your help!

"Havent_got_a_clue" <Haventgotaclue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Last year I purchased this computer from Radio Shack. It has given a lot of
>grief, regarding the things I wrote in the subject line. A couple of months
>ago I just saved everything to CD and started over with my rescue disks, but
>am still getting some problems. I now keep my towers case open, with a
>cooling fan running during the day, and it still seems warm. When I try to
>work with photos, so I can print them, I get Virtual Memory messages. At one
>point (before I reinstalled everything) I had gotten a message that my BIOS
>needed to be replaced (but I have somehow lost that message)... does anything
>think that getting a newer BIOS would help me? Any advice? I'm desperate
>here.

Working with graphic images such as photos requires a lot of memory,
and it is not unusual to get this type of message when doing that
work. What are the basic specs of your computer, especially how much
RAM does it have? And what are the current settings for the virtual
memory page file - check these in Control Panel - System - Advanced -
Performance Settings - Advanced - Virtual Memory Change. If the
current settings are for Custom Size try change them to "System
Managed Size" and click on the SET button twice before before clicking
on OK as needed to exit.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--