Anyone else find the OCZ review a bit harsh?

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
After reading the VERY brief comments about the PowerStream from the stress test, I'm left thinking that there was some prejudice in there. While I can't argue against the fact that the PSU shut down at only 588W, the fact that they're completely shooting down the idea of the adjustable rails seems like complete ignorance.

To me, the idea seems perfect. I don't know who they think will be using the PSU, but it seems like they're under the impression that people are going to go and turn the nobs randomly while their systems are running, just because they're there. Conversely, if I do go with this PSU, first thing I'm planning on it pulling out my multi-meter and adjusting the line to be just right as opposed to accepting them being perpetually low or high as some PSUs expect.

Thoughts?

RichPLS

Champion
I did not see the review. But I like the idea of adjustable rails. I have had a few PSU's that ran a little off, but within spec. I wonder how sensitive the adjustments are?

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

ast_4_real

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2005
I believe the same as you, THG must have pretty good equipment, however it is very, very odd to see the best psu from OCZ not giving full wattage. Either they messed up setting that test, or they've got a terrible sample.
My OCZ PowerStream 420W is the best PSU I have ever bought. After PCP&C, OCZ is the best PSU manufacturer, considering their excellent performing products and custumer support.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Setting up a high-end test platform isn't all that hard. Any second year electrical engineering student should be able to do it. It's just getting the money to do such a thing that's a pain.

However, I still think it was a bit harsh. While they say that they were unable to find any damaged components to explain why the OCZ shut down, it doesn't mean that it wasn't defective. Did they try to contact OCZ to get an explination? What was their response? Was it a production mordel or a preview sample? And of course, what were the performance numbers up to the failure point? These are the things I want to know that they left out that could really help me with my decision.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
No, there is nothing harsh about this. The only thing that is harsh is that the PSU industry has been screwing us over for a long time. Its not getting better, its getting worse. THG IMO is probably going to cause the whole PSU industry to rethink ratings and quality. I think that THG had a good idea going into this that the number of PSUs that would fail was going to be high. You should be thankful that they are willing to cause a stir.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
You should be thankful that they are willing to cause a stir.
I don't mind them causing a stir but why don't they give us the readings up to the fail point? Did the sun shining through their lab window affect this also? I have a OCZ Power Stream 600 and it is flawless.

<font color=blue><b>I Harley here, I Harley there, this bear will Harley anywhere.</font color=blue>
:smile: <font color=red>I am the Harley Bear. :smile:

bvdrax

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2005
After their Dual Core debacle I would not trust anyone from THG to fuel my car, nevermind evalute high quality computer equipment.

According to OCZ, THG Probably forgot to put a load on the second 12V rail. As these PS's have a reputation for going past their stated values I would tend to believe OCZ on this matter.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
That OCZ would probably run flawlessly in any of our comps. I sincerely doubt any of us has a system that draws 588watts, lol.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Where'd you get OCZ's response from? Not that I doubt you, I'm just wondering

Oh, and as for drawing more than 588W, I can believe it's possible. Imagine a P4EE running 6800Ultras in SLI, with a few HDD and a couple opticals, overclocked. That should push it over the limit :D

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Thanks bvdrax. Glad to see I wasn't the only one that had problems with this report. Could have accepted it if it truely failed, but they left far to many questions open about it. I wish someone else did a review like this though, as it's a good concept, just poorly executed. When Anandtech gives reviews like these: "520W sounds like a lot of power and it is, but truthfully, this power supply would probably be rated at 700 watts by a manufacturer who was trying to impress with specs", and OCZ's knowing for QA and customer service, it makes you wonder what's going on in the THG offices.

Truthfully, I think the larger problem is that they are trying to do too much at once. Jsut the poor editing that leaves easily catchable typos and grammar mistakes in 10% of their articles is a testament to that. Obviously there's not enough review happening in the articles so that they are truely "reviews", rather than just a long series of editorials. Just thankful that I always play devil's advocate whenever possible.

Now to decide if I truely need 600W worth, or if 520 will do. Stupid part about this is that the retailer that I'm buying the system from is on a little bit of crack (<A HREF="http://www.greytech.com" target="_new">http://www.greytech.com</A>). For some strange reason, they flag systems you configure with an Athlon X2 if you want less than a 550W PSU. They'll still build it, but they'll give you an I told you so if you come back saying your system ain't got enough power. Just wish they didn't have the best prices (only place I've found with a 7800GTX for under $700 CDN, and a $100 bulk discount for the whole system as well).

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im not suggesting that OCZ is a bad PSU. What I am saying is that the industry as a whole is going to shiit. Im glad to see someone putting this out in the open.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
You must have read a secret test report from THG somewhere. Would you please point to it? So far they haven't proved anything with their tests other than their opinions on their pet ones. I do keep up with the IT industry and all companies have trouble from time to time but I see more good than bad.

<font color=blue><b>I Harley here, I Harley there, this bear will Harley anywhere.</font color=blue>
:smile: <font color=red>I am the Harley Bear. :smile:

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Why do you say ocz is the best powersupply just asking thats all not being a smart ass dude

when the team loses blame it on the noob's I was shot for a plane now my goal it to hunt them down<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gomerpile on 08/04/05 04:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
I don't know what the hell you're talking about the PSU industry going bad. Infact, I think it's just the opposite. 10 years ago, the only quality PSUs you could find came from enermax. The rest of them were just mediocre. You just never noticed as your other computer components were a lot less sensitive and could handle it. Now, there's a ton of quality manufacturers out there that are pushing out PSUs to meet the high demands of power users. Not only that, but they are also keeping the prices on the PSUs down. I think that's truely amazing, especially if you consider that there hasn't been any major technological breakthroughs that would affect the PSUs in over 3 decades that would cause quality to increase and performance to drop. It's all based on the same technology used in the first power transformers.

Just my $0.02

RichPLS

Champion
Antec has bin vewy vewy good to me!

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
From Enermax's <A HREF="http://www.enermax.com.tw/about_com.php" target="_new">site</A>:

Enermax Technology Corporation was founded in1990 by a group of young professional, enthusiastic, and high-tech oriented people in Taiwan. The Enermax founders left high-profile positions from prestigious computer firms, bringing over 10 years of professional experiences to our own firm.

I personally remember the Enermax name in the early 90's. I've only come to know Antec within the past 5 years or so (though I know they've been around for a good time as well), and never heard of Zalaman.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
OCd to 4.8Ghz and all of my components running at once, I would be around 533W's. Theres no way everything is going to be running at once, and not many people have ever seen 4.8Ghz much less run their rigs at that speed most of the time.

This is a really nice PSU cal for OCers. <A HREF="http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp" target="_new">http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp</A>

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

SuperPI 25secs

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Anyone that thinks that the PSU industry as a whole is on the UP and UP needs to take a serious look at the big picture. There are far more crap PSU's that fudge numbers than there are quality PSU's.

Thats what my point has been, if you think otherwise then good for you.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

SuperPI 25secs

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
The demands that new tech is putting on PSUs is on the rise, and at a rapid pace. The PSU industry as a whole is not keeping up.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

SuperPI 25secs

joe_tlj

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
Anyone that thinks that the PSU industry as a whole is on the UP and UP needs to take a serious look at the big picture.

Yeah,I get it, the <b>BIG</b> picture,

the one on the back of MAXPC...

showing the weird naked guy with glowing eyes...

looking at the sucky xconnect PSU.

I'm sure if you stoped looking at the <b>BIG</b> picture, you'de feel much better about the whole PSU industry.

There's nothing as dangerous as a wounded mosquito.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Joe_tlj on 08/05/05 01:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
What the hell was all of that about? When I make strong statements, its usually because I have seen it or experienced it first hand. Out of all the PSUs that I have put in systems over the last year, there is an alarming percentage of them that do not measure up to their claims.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

SuperPI 25secs

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I remember when I had enermax 300 watt psu for the longest time. I bought a new processor and vcard that needed more watts to get to 200 fsb. I booted up and started a game, a prompt came up from smartdocter saying it is lowering the voltage to the video card to proctect it from damage.
Well I thought at that time the vcard must bad I'm taking it back ,after talking to the computer dude he said it could be your psu, so I bought a new one it was an enermax 551. Strangly I was still getting the prompt with the vcard after putting in the new one. So I decided to use the old one to run some of the other needed items in the computer and the prompt did not come up anymore.
I think the power limits can be used on a one rail system very easy. The power is divided amoung the 3.3 12 5 volt to = a total of the watts. 75 watts for a cpu, a ship load of of fans the hd cdroms and now vcards that needs extra power and the rail lets say a 12 could be to the max and not long after a prompt like mine comes up.
I dont think they are harsh with OCZ the psu could not handle the power drawn that ocz techs say it could. Just like my old 300 watt psu could not.

when the team loses blame it on the noob's I was shot for a plane now my goal it to hunt them down<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gomerpile on 08/05/05 06:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

RichPLS

Champion
That is the best wattage calculator I have seen. Thankx