Imaging a partition on SATA HDD

July 17, 2005 5:30:19 AM

Hi am interested in purchasing a copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 but I
would like to know if it will work with these specs.
Am a bit concern with the nForce M/B and the SATA drive
There seems to be a mixture of responses on the net re the product.

Foxconn Winfast NF4UK8AA-8EKRS nForce4 ultra
AMD K8 Athlon64 3500+ Socket 939 Venice Core
1XSeagate 160Gb 7200rpm 8 mb Cache NCQ Serial ATA-partiitioned with
Partition Magic.
Gigabyte GA-NX66T128VP GeForce 6600GT VIVO TurboForce PCI Expres
Foxconn ATX326 Midi Tower 11-1 Card Reader Hyena 500W front USB2.0 case
fan PCI-E hole
LiteOn SOHW-1673S Dual Layer 16x
TwinMOS 1GB DDR400 Dual-Channel Kit (2x512MB)

Anyone out there used this program with a partitioned SATA HDD? by the
way tried using ghost2003 froze the PC. Cannot be bothered with all the
talk about adding switches etc.

--
cajetan
Anonymous

The board doesnt make the diffrence,the SATA drive will.Most of,if not all
fail with a SATA drive unlike an IDE which would work fine.Even xps XCOPY
doesnt work with SATA.

"cajetan" wrote:

> Hi am interested in purchasing a copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 but I
> would like to know if it will work with these specs.
> Am a bit concern with the nForce M/B and the SATA drive
> There seems to be a mixture of responses on the net re the product.
>
> Foxconn Winfast NF4UK8AA-8EKRS nForce4 ultra
> AMD K8 Athlon64 3500+ Socket 939 Venice Core
> 1XSeagate 160Gb 7200rpm 8 mb Cache NCQ Serial ATA-partiitioned with
> Partition Magic.
> Gigabyte GA-NX66T128VP GeForce 6600GT VIVO TurboForce PCI Expres
> Foxconn ATX326 Midi Tower 11-1 Card Reader Hyena 500W front USB2.0 case
> fan PCI-E hole
> LiteOn SOHW-1673S Dual Layer 16x
> TwinMOS 1GB DDR400 Dual-Channel Kit (2x512MB)
>
> Anyone out there used this program with a partitioned SATA HDD? by the
> way tried using ghost2003 froze the PC. Cannot be bothered with all the
> talk about adding switches etc.
>

> --
> cajetan

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 5:30:20 AM

"cajetan" <cajetan.1satpp@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Hi am interested in purchasing a copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 but I
> would like to know if it will work with these specs.
> Am a bit concern with the nForce M/B and the SATA drive
> There seems to be a mixture of responses on the net re the product.
>
> Foxconn Winfast NF4UK8AA-8EKRS nForce4 ultra
> AMD K8 Athlon64 3500+ Socket 939 Venice Core
> 1XSeagate 160Gb 7200rpm 8 mb Cache NCQ Serial ATA-partiitioned with
> Partition Magic.
> Gigabyte GA-NX66T128VP GeForce 6600GT VIVO TurboForce PCI Expres
> Foxconn ATX326 Midi Tower 11-1 Card Reader Hyena 500W front USB2.0 case
> fan PCI-E hole
> LiteOn SOHW-1673S Dual Layer 16x
> TwinMOS 1GB DDR400 Dual-Channel Kit (2x512MB)
>
> Anyone out there used this program with a partitioned SATA HDD? by the
> way tried using ghost2003 froze the PC. Cannot be bothered with all the
> talk about adding switches etc.

I don't know about that particular motherboard but I have used Acronis True
Image 8.0 with SATA hard drives with no problems. If you are trying to
restore an image created from a PATA drive you may run into some problems
with Windows not booting because of driver issues and/or boot.ini pointing
to the wrong drive. These problems can usually be fixed. You can download a
15 day trial and try it for yourself.

Kerry

> --
> cajetan
July 17, 2005 11:09:45 AM

I have been using True Image for years on Seagate SATA drives connected to
an ASUS P4S8X motherboard. Back in early 2003 the disk controllers were not
recognized by the restoration CD made by version 7, but that was fixed about
mid 2003, after I sent some detailed information about my PC to Acronis
support. Unlike Norton/Symantec support, Acronis support will actually
guide you through getting diagnostic infomation from your machine, if that
becomes necessary. Since then I have had no problems with versions 7 or 8.

However, there are many disk controllers, and often really new ones may not
have LINUX versions availbale when they are first released. And, while True
Image can make an image under windows, even the partition with the operating
system, most images must be restored via the bootable CD that it makes for
you. That CD runs LINUX, thus the need for LINUX drivers.

In my experience, if True Image run from the CD can "see" the hard drives,
then a restore is possible. Since Acronis offers a free trial version, get
it, make the CD, and boot from it. Then try to make an image. If you see a
bar-chart representing each physical disk and all partitions on them, you
know that it is working. I believe that the trial version of True Image CD
can even make an image, but will not restore an image. (Otherwise why would
someone buy the full version?)

Note that True Image can also "see", thus backup/restore to/from external
USB and firewire disks. These appear as additional physical disks in the
bar-chart I mentioned above. However, they need to be attached to the PC
before you boot from the CD.

Further, sometimes on some computers there is an error about sector 0 of
hard disk 0. That is really saying that no floppy is in the floppy drive or
no ZIP cartridge is in the ZIP drive. ust click OK and ignore it.

Finally, and most important, True Image has saved me on several occassions,
when bad installs/unintalls hurt my PC.

"cajetan" <cajetan.1satpp@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Hi am interested in purchasing a copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 but I
> would like to know if it will work with these specs.
> Am a bit concern with the nForce M/B and the SATA drive
> There seems to be a mixture of responses on the net re the product.
>
> Foxconn Winfast NF4UK8AA-8EKRS nForce4 ultra
> AMD K8 Athlon64 3500+ Socket 939 Venice Core
> 1XSeagate 160Gb 7200rpm 8 mb Cache NCQ Serial ATA-partiitioned with
> Partition Magic.
> Gigabyte GA-NX66T128VP GeForce 6600GT VIVO TurboForce PCI Expres
> Foxconn ATX326 Midi Tower 11-1 Card Reader Hyena 500W front USB2.0 case
> fan PCI-E hole
> LiteOn SOHW-1673S Dual Layer 16x
> TwinMOS 1GB DDR400 Dual-Channel Kit (2x512MB)
>
> Anyone out there used this program with a partitioned SATA HDD? by the
> way tried using ghost2003 froze the PC. Cannot be bothered with all the
> talk about adding switches etc.
>

> --
> cajetan
July 19, 2005 12:35:03 PM

Ghost 2003 will work with SATA drives, but not our of the box. After you
install it, you have to run the 'Live Update', whereupon the SATA function
will be supported. I use it all the time on my SATA drives.

And since you can't be put upon to enter switches, just use the GUI.

!