Folder size

Hi there,

Anyone know of a way to display folder size in a Windows Detail view? If I
can't do this in xp, is there a good utility that does this?

Thanks,

Greg
6 answers Last reply
More about folder size

    open Windows Explorer and go to the 'View' menu item. Ensure 'Status Bar'
    is checked. Then, when 'Folders' is enabled, you can highlight any folder in
    the left pane of Explorer and all the FILES shown in the right pane will be
    totalled on the status bar at the bottom. Only the FILES will be totalled,
    if there are subdirectories, then highlight that folder in the left panel to
    see the total of files in the right.

    "Greg" wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Anyone know of a way to display folder size in a Windows Detail view? If I
    > can't do this in xp, is there a good utility that does this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Greg

    That's great, but I guess I was hoping for a way to show total folder size
    in a column while in "view as details" view. Is there a way to configure
    Explore to do this, or are there any utilities that can be recommended?

    "HiBaller" <HiBaller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > open Windows Explorer and go to the 'View' menu item. Ensure 'Status Bar'
    > is checked. Then, when 'Folders' is enabled, you can highlight any folder
    > in
    > the left pane of Explorer and all the FILES shown in the right pane will
    > be
    > totalled on the status bar at the bottom. Only the FILES will be
    > totalled,
    > if there are subdirectories, then highlight that folder in the left panel
    > see the total of files in the right.
    >
    > "Greg" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Anyone know of a way to display folder size in a Windows Detail view? If
    >> can't do this in xp, is there a good utility that does this?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Greg

    Greg, does this help? Open Explorer>View Menu>Choose Details>make selections
    in pop-up box>Show>OK>

    "Greg" wrote:

    > That's great, but I guess I was hoping for a way to show total folder size
    > in a column while in "view as details" view. Is there a way to configure
    > Explore to do this, or are there any utilities that can be recommended?

    > "HiBaller" <HiBaller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > open Windows Explorer and go to the 'View' menu item. Ensure 'Status Bar'
    > > is checked. Then, when 'Folders' is enabled, you can highlight any folder
    > > in
    > > the left pane of Explorer and all the FILES shown in the right pane will
    > > be
    > > totalled on the status bar at the bottom. Only the FILES will be
    > > totalled,
    > > if there are subdirectories, then highlight that folder in the left panel
    > > see the total of files in the right.
    > >
    > > "Greg" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi there,
    > >>
    > >> Anyone know of a way to display folder size in a Windows Detail view? If
    > >> can't do this in xp, is there a good utility that does this?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Greg

    Treeview (excellent).

    http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London
    "rosebeauty" <rosebeauty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Greg, does this help? Open Explorer>View Menu>Choose Details>make
    > selections
    > in pop-up box>Show>OK>
    >
    > "Greg" wrote:
    >
    >> That's great, but I guess I was hoping for a way to show total folder
    >> size
    >> in a column while in "view as details" view. Is there a way to configure
    >> Explore to do this, or are there any utilities that can be recommended?

    >> "HiBaller" <HiBaller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > open Windows Explorer and go to the 'View' menu item. Ensure 'Status
    >> > Bar'
    >> > is checked. Then, when 'Folders' is enabled, you can highlight any
    >> > folder
    >> > in
    >> > the left pane of Explorer and all the FILES shown in the right pane
    >> > will
    >> > be
    >> > totalled on the status bar at the bottom. Only the FILES will be
    >> > totalled,
    >> > if there are subdirectories, then highlight that folder in the left
    >> > panel
    >> > see the total of files in the right.

    Just to confirm - that should be Treesize. Still excellent.

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London
    "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
    > Treeview (excellent).
    >
    > http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
    >
    > --
    > ####################
    > ## PH, London
    > ####################
    > "rosebeauty" <rosebeauty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Greg, does this help? Open Explorer>View Menu>Choose Details>make
    >> selections
    >> in pop-up box>Show>OK>
    >>
    >> "Greg" wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's great, but I guess I was hoping for a way to show total folder
    >>> size
    >>> in a column while in "view as details" view. Is there a way to
    >>> configure
    >>> Explore to do this, or are there any utilities that can be recommended?

    >>> "HiBaller" <HiBaller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Using the dirsize.dll plugin from MVP Mark Dormer, you can add the Folder
    Size column for folders in Detail View. This plugin calculates the folder
    size and displays it in a column. Download Dirsize.dll plugin and place the
    file in Windows\System32 folder. Now, register the DLL using regsvr32
    command from Start, Run dialog.

    regsvr32 %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll

    Next, open a folder and set it to Detail view. From the View menu, click
    Choose Details. Put a checkmark near Folder Size, and click OK. Use CTRL and
    + key (Numeric Keypad) combination to resize the column width, so that the
    Folder Size column is displayed correctly.

    To apply this setting for all the folders, click Tools, Folder Options. In
    the View tab and click Apply to all folders. To remove the feature, simply
    un-register the DLL [regsvr32 /u %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll]. Ignore
    error messages if any.

    You can download the module from here: http://markd.mvps.org/home.asp

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Greg" <bcycle@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Anyone know of a way to display folder size in a Windows Detail view? If
    > I can't do this in xp, is there a good utility that does this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Greg

Windows XP Microsoft Displays