Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Folder size

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 17, 2005 5:27:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi there,

Anyone know of a way to display folder size in a Windows Detail view? If I
can't do this in xp, is there a good utility that does this?

Thanks,

Greg

More about : folder size

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 5:27:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

open Windows Explorer and go to the 'View' menu item. Ensure 'Status Bar'
is checked. Then, when 'Folders' is enabled, you can highlight any folder in
the left pane of Explorer and all the FILES shown in the right pane will be
totalled on the status bar at the bottom. Only the FILES will be totalled,
if there are subdirectories, then highlight that folder in the left panel to
see the total of files in the right.

"Greg" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Anyone know of a way to display folder size in a Windows Detail view? If I
> can't do this in xp, is there a good utility that does this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg
>
>
>
July 17, 2005 7:32:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

That's great, but I guess I was hoping for a way to show total folder size
in a column while in "view as details" view. Is there a way to configure
Explore to do this, or are there any utilities that can be recommended?

G

"HiBaller" <HiBaller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5F85505A-B39A-46F9-9832-6CF0E0B558D0@microsoft.com...
>
> open Windows Explorer and go to the 'View' menu item. Ensure 'Status Bar'
> is checked. Then, when 'Folders' is enabled, you can highlight any folder
> in
> the left pane of Explorer and all the FILES shown in the right pane will
> be
> totalled on the status bar at the bottom. Only the FILES will be
> totalled,
> if there are subdirectories, then highlight that folder in the left panel
> to
> see the total of files in the right.
>
> "Greg" wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Anyone know of a way to display folder size in a Windows Detail view? If
>> I
>> can't do this in xp, is there a good utility that does this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Greg
>>
>>
>>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 7:32:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Greg, does this help? Open Explorer>View Menu>Choose Details>make selections
in pop-up box>Show>OK>

"Greg" wrote:

> That's great, but I guess I was hoping for a way to show total folder size
> in a column while in "view as details" view. Is there a way to configure
> Explore to do this, or are there any utilities that can be recommended?
>
> G
>
> "HiBaller" <HiBaller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:5F85505A-B39A-46F9-9832-6CF0E0B558D0@microsoft.com...
> >
> > open Windows Explorer and go to the 'View' menu item. Ensure 'Status Bar'
> > is checked. Then, when 'Folders' is enabled, you can highlight any folder
> > in
> > the left pane of Explorer and all the FILES shown in the right pane will
> > be
> > totalled on the status bar at the bottom. Only the FILES will be
> > totalled,
> > if there are subdirectories, then highlight that folder in the left panel
> > to
> > see the total of files in the right.
> >
> > "Greg" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> Anyone know of a way to display folder size in a Windows Detail view? If
> >> I
> >> can't do this in xp, is there a good utility that does this?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Greg
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 10:21:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Treeview (excellent).

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

--
####################
## PH, London
####################
"rosebeauty" <rosebeauty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EC8FFA07-9B66-4F83-B96A-DA140316FE9C@microsoft.com...
> Greg, does this help? Open Explorer>View Menu>Choose Details>make
> selections
> in pop-up box>Show>OK>
>
> "Greg" wrote:
>
>> That's great, but I guess I was hoping for a way to show total folder
>> size
>> in a column while in "view as details" view. Is there a way to configure
>> Explore to do this, or are there any utilities that can be recommended?
>>
>> G
>>
>> "HiBaller" <HiBaller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:5F85505A-B39A-46F9-9832-6CF0E0B558D0@microsoft.com...
>> >
>> > open Windows Explorer and go to the 'View' menu item. Ensure 'Status
>> > Bar'
>> > is checked. Then, when 'Folders' is enabled, you can highlight any
>> > folder
>> > in
>> > the left pane of Explorer and all the FILES shown in the right pane
>> > will
>> > be
>> > totalled on the status bar at the bottom. Only the FILES will be
>> > totalled,
>> > if there are subdirectories, then highlight that folder in the left
>> > panel
>> > to
>> > see the total of files in the right.
>> >
>> > "Greg" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi there,
>> >>
>> >> Anyone know of a way to display folder size in a Windows Detail view?
>> >> If
>> >> I
>> >> can't do this in xp, is there a good utility that does this?
>> >>
>> >> Thanks,
>> >>
>> >> Greg
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 10:29:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Just to confirm - that should be Treesize. Still excellent.

--
####################
## PH, London
####################
"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
news:o maH$PviFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Treeview (excellent).
>
> http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
>
> --
> ####################
> ## PH, London
> ####################
> "rosebeauty" <rosebeauty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:EC8FFA07-9B66-4F83-B96A-DA140316FE9C@microsoft.com...
>> Greg, does this help? Open Explorer>View Menu>Choose Details>make
>> selections
>> in pop-up box>Show>OK>
>>
>> "Greg" wrote:
>>
>>> That's great, but I guess I was hoping for a way to show total folder
>>> size
>>> in a column while in "view as details" view. Is there a way to
>>> configure
>>> Explore to do this, or are there any utilities that can be recommended?
>>>
>>> G
>>>
>>> "HiBaller" <HiBaller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:5F85505A-B39A-46F9-9832-6CF0E0B558D0@microsoft.com...
>>> >
>>> > open Windows Explorer and go to the 'View' menu item. Ensure 'Status
>>> > Bar'
>>> > is checked. Then, when 'Folders' is enabled, you can highlight any
>>> > folder
>>> > in
>>> > the left pane of Explorer and all the FILES shown in the right pane
>>> > will
>>> > be
>>> > totalled on the status bar at the bottom. Only the FILES will be
>>> > totalled,
>>> > if there are subdirectories, then highlight that folder in the left
>>> > panel
>>> > to
>>> > see the total of files in the right.
>>> >
>>> > "Greg" wrote:
>>> >
>>> >> Hi there,
>>> >>
>>> >> Anyone know of a way to display folder size in a Windows Detail view?
>>> >> If
>>> >> I
>>> >> can't do this in xp, is there a good utility that does this?
>>> >>
>>> >> Thanks,
>>> >>
>>> >> Greg
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>> >>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:40:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Using the dirsize.dll plugin from MVP Mark Dormer, you can add the Folder
Size column for folders in Detail View. This plugin calculates the folder
size and displays it in a column. Download Dirsize.dll plugin and place the
file in Windows\System32 folder. Now, register the DLL using regsvr32
command from Start, Run dialog.

regsvr32 %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll

Next, open a folder and set it to Detail view. From the View menu, click
Choose Details. Put a checkmark near Folder Size, and click OK. Use CTRL and
+ key (Numeric Keypad) combination to resize the column width, so that the
Folder Size column is displayed correctly.

To apply this setting for all the folders, click Tools, Folder Options. In
the View tab and click Apply to all folders. To remove the feature, simply
un-register the DLL [regsvr32 /u %Systemroot%\System32\Dirsize.dll]. Ignore
error messages if any.

You can download the module from here: http://markd.mvps.org/home.asp

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Greg" <bcycle@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:91tCe.2745$2h1.2050@trnddc05...
> Hi there,
>
> Anyone know of a way to display folder size in a Windows Detail view? If
> I can't do this in xp, is there a good utility that does this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg
>
!