  • Computers
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 17, 2005 2:39:49 PM

When performing a search using Explore, after some files are found, it
hangs. Computer is completely updated, defragged, etc. Have to resort to
terminating it using Task List.

Any suggestions?

Raymond

More about : explore hangs search

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 11:00:25 PM

HI *Microsoft Newsgroups* :

> When performing a search using Explore, after some files are found, it
> hangs. Computer is completely updated, defragged, etc. Have to resort to
> terminating it using Task List.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Raymond

Try this :

1- Start | run | regsvr32 %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll

check if search is working if not :

2- Set windows explorer to display hidden files,
go to C:\Windows\inf
select srchasst.inf
right click and choose install

check again. If not working :

3- Repeat the step 1

check. If not working :

4- Use this VB script from Doug Knox[MVP]

---------------------------------------- cut here ------------------------------------
'Fix Windows XP Search (error)
'xp_fix_search_error.vbs
'© Doug Knox - 02/03/2002
'Downloaded from http://www.dougknox.com

p1 =
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{e17d4fc0-5564-11d1-83f2-00a0c90dc849}\"
p2 = "Search Results Folder"

WshShell.RegWrite p1, p2
Set WshShell = Nothing

x = MsgBox("Search has been fixed",4096,"Finished")

-------------------------------------------- cut here -----------------------------------

Copy-paste those lines in a .txt file with norepad the save it under the
name you want with the extension vbs. Click on it to run.

:)

--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 2:40:49 AM

Thanks, Claude. Mighty nice of you to respond. Tried all, but search
continues to hang first time it runs into zip files. If it doesn't stop on
the first, by the third or fourth, it does. Guess I have a deeper problem
that will eventually require a reinstall, as much as I hate to.

Raymond

"Claude LaFrenière" <No_InterNUT@AntiPebkac.org> wrote in message
> HI *Microsoft Newsgroups* :
>
>> When performing a search using Explore, after some files are found, it
>> hangs. Computer is completely updated, defragged, etc. Have to resort to
>> terminating it using Task List.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Raymond
>
> Try this :
>
> 1- Start | run | regsvr32 %systemroot%\srchasst\srchui.dll
>
> check if search is working if not :
>
> 2- Set windows explorer to display hidden files,
> go to C:\Windows\inf
> select srchasst.inf
> right click and choose install
>
> check again. If not working :
>
> 3- Repeat the step 1
>
> check. If not working :
>
> 4- Use this VB script from Doug Knox[MVP]
>
> ---------------------------------------- cut
> here ------------------------------------
> 'Fix Windows XP Search (error)
> 'xp_fix_search_error.vbs
> '© Doug Knox - 02/03/2002
> 'Downloaded from http://www.dougknox.com
>
> p1 =
> "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{e17d4fc0-5564-11d1-83f2-00a0c90dc849}\"
> p2 = "Search Results Folder"
>
> Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> WshShell.RegWrite p1, p2
> Set WshShell = Nothing
>
> x = MsgBox("Search has been fixed",4096,"Finished")
>
> -------------------------------------------- cut
> here -----------------------------------
>
> Copy-paste those lines in a .txt file with norepad the save it under the
> name you want with the extension vbs. Click on it to run.
>
> :)
>
> --
> Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)
>
> «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
> Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 3:19:18 PM

Bonjour *Raymond* :

> Thanks, Claude. Mighty nice of you to respond. Tried all, but search
> continues to hang first time it runs into zip files. If it doesn't stop on
> the first, by the third or fourth, it does. Guess I have a deeper problem
> that will eventually require a reinstall, as much as I hate to.

1)
May be some malware...

Scan with HijakThis and post the log here.
I'll checked it.

http://www.merijn.org/downloads.html

OR

2)
May be some "tweaking" or Bugaboo "utilities" are the source of this problem.

Do not *reinstall* : *repair* .

1- Set the bios to have the CD drive as primary boot device
(and the HD as secondary...)

2- Boot from the W xp CD

3- Start the "installation"... Do not choose the first repair option.
This is the recovery console...

and let the installation program to discover that W xp is already there !

4- At this moment choose to repair...

You must reinstall all updates ...
(Except if you have made a Slip Streamded CD *before*...
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

:)

--

!