Closed Solved

Upgrading pirated Windows 7 to legal Windows 8

Hello,
As the title states, I have a pirated version of Windows 7 installed on my pc, just because I didn't have the extra 150+ bucks. Now that Windows 8 is actually fair-priced, I'd like to know if I can upgrade (keeping my settings and files) and turn it to a legal OS. I used 7Loader on this PC if that's of any help.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading pirated windows legal windows
  1. You'll probably have to buy a store copy to make it work (obviously, as the upgrade keys for $40 need a valid key to purchase online) but running the install from a retail disc shouldn't give you any problems (a friend of mine has apparently done the same). If that fails, do a backup and consider doing a clean install.
  2. You can try to do the upgrade. Most of the time it is going to be better to do a backup and then do a clean install.
  3. Hi :)

No you cannot...

Two reasons...

1, Its ILLEGAL

2, It wont work

All the best Brett :)
  4. Best answer
    I doubt that a direct upgrade would actually work. You're likely going to have to buy the full version and do a clean install here. Thankfully like the Upgrade version, that price isn't too hard on the wallet this time around either.
  5. Go buy a legal version and you won't have these problems.
  6. Max_ said:
    Hello,
    As the title states, I have a pirated version of Windows 7 installed on my pc, just because I didn't have the extra 150+ bucks. Now that Windows 8 is actually fair-priced, I'd like to know if I can upgrade (keeping my settings and files) and turn it to a legal OS. I used 7Loader on this PC if that's of any help.

No. The $40 upgrade license is only for legal copies of XP, Vista and Windows 7. You cannot apply an upgrade license to a pirated OS as that would be a violation of the terms of use.

It is not for you to decide what is fair priced and what is not. If you don't have the money, don't buy it and don't use it.
  7. Quote:
    RUBBISH. I upgraded three pirated Win 7 systems with that loader to Win 8 for $15 apiece. There. Suck on that.

Hi :)

No you didn't.... the $15 dollar upgrade was WITH MACHINES ONLY....you know the ones with LEGAL operating systems on them already...

If you are going to lie here, you need to be a little brighter, as there are some very bright people here...

All the best Brett :)
  8. Quote:
    RUBBISH. I upgraded three pirated Win 7 systems with that loader to Win 8 for $15 apiece. There. Suck on that.

So you've broken the law 6 times in one sentence. People like you are the reason we can't have nice things, like software that's not loaded down with security checks.
  9. This topic has been closed by Proximon
  10. Best answer selected by Max_.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Windows 8 Product