NTVDM CPU Illegal Instruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am receiving the above message when I try to access cmd at the Run menu.
"16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem C:\Windows\System32\cmd.com The NTVDM CPU has
encountered an illegal instruction" and then an address appears but changes
everytime I get the message, which is everytime I try.
Thanks,

cmd.com is *not* an XP file. It should be command.com or cmd.exe.

Update your antivirus software and run a complete system scan.

WORM_ALCAN.A
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_ALCAN.A&VSect=T

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A2182B91-190F-4F22-BD7E-92082684EE78@microsoft.com,
pccdude <pccdude@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I am receiving the above message when I try to access cmd at the Run menu.
> "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem C:\Windows\System32\cmd.com The NTVDM CPU has
> encountered an illegal instruction" and then an address appears but
> changes everytime I get the message, which is everytime I try.
> Thanks,

ysunny

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
after antivirus run the whole system. still can't find what 's wrong with it. what's next to get rid of this

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
c:\windows\system32\windstr.exe
the NTVDM CPU has encountered an ellegal instuction
cs:0576 ip:010d op:63 61 74 69 6f choose 'close'to terminate the appliction
any one can help?