Thoughts on Antec P160.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Opinions on Antec P160:

Well, I've just got this case, and on the whole I'm quite impressed, but there are a couple of features that detract slightly, IMO...
Just thought I'd post them here for anyone else considering a new case who'd like the opinions of an experienced 'Average' user.

(I know this looks like more Cons than Pros, but I've just explained the negatives - as I see them - more thoroughly :evil: )

<font color=red><b>Pros:</b></font color=red>
Lots of room
<b>-</b> Drive bays at 90 degrees - nice and easy to fiddle with
<b>-</b> Provision for nice BIG intake/exhaust fans (120mm), with the intake blowing nicely over your HDDS.
<b>-</b> 2 temperature sensors, with a nice big LED display on the front.
<b>-</b> Generally Good build quality, no nasty hidden sharp edges or anything.
<b>-</b> The way all the components mount is generally well thought-out and obvious. The parts all fit together quite snugly.
<b>-</b> Oooh! Glowing blue lights! :lol:

<font color=red><b>Cons:</b></font color=red>
<b>-</b> The 'Screwless' boast. Yes, it has thumbscrews everywhere, but some (particularly the ones for holding cards in) are very fiddly to grip properly. It's hard to get those ones tight enough (by my standards anyway) without a screwdriver. OK, it's a LOT better than everything being screwed in, but Just replacing every screw with a thumbscrew-type one isn't quite enough to make that boast IMO.

<b>-</b> The Power/Reset buttons. These are fairly large and easy to press accidentally. I accidentally pressed the power switch when I was moving the pc back to its 'normal' position after I was done with building, so it turned itself off. The Reset switch is also right next to the Front USB ports, and since I'd be fumbling under a desk to plug anything into it there's a fair chance I'd accidentally hit the reset. It should be recessed or otherwise protected in some way. (I'm considering modding it and sticking a little flip-up cover on it as it is, Top-Gun style :lol: )

<b>-</b> The Colour-coded 3.5" Floppy front panel. While I appreciate this helps to make the case look nice when you're using a floppy, A lot of people now (including me) really don't need one 99% of the time, so the inclusion of another blank 3.5" cover would be nice. As it is, I've had to stick a floppy in. At least there's plenty of room so it's not consuming a valuable HDD slot though :smile: . I doubt I'll use it before I next re-install windows though... Not a great deal to ask for, considering the price of the package.

<b>-</b> The pre-drilled holes for the motherboard standoffs. I don't know whether it was just mine, or maybe the Aluminium had been slightly twisted out of shape or something (it didn't appear so), but one of the holes didn't <i>quite</i> line up properly with the holes in the mobo. I did manage to get the screw in, but it was a bit of an effort. For the money you'd expect a bit more attention to this most vital of 'features'. If all the cheap (£30 with PSU) cases I've bought/worked with had holes in the right places, why can't Antec do the same? :eek: It wasn't all that bad really, but suprising nonetheless.

<b>-</b> Not sure if this really counts as a 'Con', but at the moment I've not hooked the temp. sensors up to anything, so they're just bundled up into the top of the case with the other extraneous wiring, so they can't be more than an inch or so apart... But on the external display, one reads 25C and the other reads 28C. Of course this makes me doubt the accuracy of them. I'll have to check on their exact situation (still need to tidy up cables and suchlike anyway), but I still find this puzzling.

Well, that's an end-users account of it. For someone who's used to working in fairly cheap low-end cases, it's still a joy to do anything with and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to people, based on my experience thus far.

Whether I'd feel the same if I was used to higher-end cases I don't know, but my overall impression is still good. I have worked in countless cases and of them all so far, this is my favourite by a long stretch. Put simply, I don't at all regret spending the money (yet!).

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

G

Cool intersting thought! The P160 was a bit too expansive for my taste, basically I'd pay this price but with a TPII-500W bundled!

There is not doubt its a good case and I do like the look!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

RichPLS

Champion
You shoulda paid less and got the SuporFLower for $76 and you would have had no complaints. ;)

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Had a quick look, but couldn't find it anywhere on this tiny godforsaken island on which I live (UK, in other words)..

Besides, wasn't that the one with loads of 80mm fan mounts? I wanted to stick with 120mm ones, for noise purposes really. I just need to silence everything else now.. :lol:

Besides that, I bet I <i>would</i> have encountered <i>some</i> issues... Like I said above, what issues I did have with the Antec weren't enough to make me come close to regretting buying it.

I just listed a few things I thought weren't really mentioned in the reviews I've seen, coupled with the thoughts of a guy who's always tinkering inside the case.... If one person finds that useful or interesting then it's fulfilled its purpose :smile:

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
And finally my case cost 60% of yours except it's around 30% heavier.
...And didn't seem available in the UK... Though I didn't exactly do an exhaustive search, to be fair.

---

conboy31

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2005
I have a question about the flower case.

I am getting a new gaming computer within the next day or so, here is my current stuff:

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: LP UT nF4 SLI-DR
$166.00

Leadtek WinFast PX7800GTX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: WinFast PX7800GTX $499.00

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4000BNBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA4000BNBOX
$375.99

Update Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L200R0 200GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: 6L200R0
$88.00

Logitech MX510 $28.00

NEC Beige IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3520A BG - OEM
$37.99

CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value SB0400 8 (7.1) Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - OEM
$49.99

I do not need a monitor, keyboard or speakers.

That leaves me needing a case, memory (2 gigs) and a power supply.

Given this setup, would a flower case and one (which one?) of the power supplies go well with it?

Thanks.