Nortan Anti-virus, Microsoft Word, no programs work

Since about 2 days ago none of my programs work including but not limited to
Itunes, Norton Anti-virus, Microsoft Word, my weather bug, etc. I can't open
any of my files. I checked for viruses and there are none. I did a spyware
search and fixed the problems that came up. I have a toshiba satellite pro
m15-s405 with Windows XP. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Whitney

Can't open EXE files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp

Windows XP File Association Fixes

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Wp14" wrote:

| Since about 2 days ago none of my programs work including but not limited to
| Itunes, Norton Anti-virus, Microsoft Word, my weather bug, etc. I can't open
| any of my files. I checked for viruses and there are none. I did a spyware
| search and fixed the problems that came up. I have a toshiba satellite pro
| m15-s405 with Windows XP. Can anyone help me?
|
| Thanks,
| Whitney

Casey,

I tried both of the repair techniques in those links and the files and
programs still don't work. In fact, when I went to the first link the value
was exactly the same as the one that I was told to change it to. Is there
anything else I can try?

-Whitney-

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Can't open EXE files
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp
>
> Windows XP File Association Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Wp14" wrote:
>
> | Since about 2 days ago none of my programs work including but not limited to
> | Itunes, Norton Anti-virus, Microsoft Word, my weather bug, etc. I can't open
> | any of my files. I checked for viruses and there are none. I did a spyware
> | search and fixed the problems that came up. I have a toshiba satellite pro
> | m15-s405 with Windows XP. Can anyone help me?
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Whitney

While I can see the effort you went to you left out the most important thing. What happens?

"Wp14" <Wp14@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F72D5BA0-6740-4058-AD88-8BAF16511AC4@microsoft.com...
> Casey,
>
> I tried both of the repair techniques in those links and the files and
> programs still don't work. In fact, when I went to the first link the value
> was exactly the same as the one that I was told to change it to. Is there
> anything else I can try?
>
> -Whitney-
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Can't open EXE files
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp
>>
>> Windows XP File Association Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>>
>> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "Wp14" wrote:
>>
>> | Since about 2 days ago none of my programs work including but not limited to
>> | Itunes, Norton Anti-virus, Microsoft Word, my weather bug, etc. I can't open
>> | any of my files. I checked for viruses and there are none. I did a spyware
>> | search and fixed the problems that came up. I have a toshiba satellite pro
>> | m15-s405 with Windows XP. Can anyone help me?
>> |
>> | Thanks,
>> | Whitney

what happens when I click on the files? absolutely nothing happens, hence
why they arent working.