Scheduled Backups

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Is it possible to schedule a backup of a XP Pro machine to run while no user
is logged on using the backup wizard?

I have been trying to run backups in the wee hours of the morning while the
computer is not being used. When I created the backup and scheduled it, it
asked for a username and password twice so I assumed that it should work.
However, if I look at the reports it shows that no files were copied. Also,
if I take a look into the backup file, I can see that it copied all of
folders but not the files. So it runs, copies file but not the folders and
saves the backup file to the drive. Seems odd to me. Another wierd thing
is
that it will actually pick up other backup files during the scheduled backup
and add them to the file, howver, they will be the only files in the backup.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Derek

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

You must supply a valid username and password.
A password must be assigned to the User, i.e. you cannot
use a User that is not password protected. This is because
the job is scheduled independent of the logged on User,
and indeed no User need be logged on at the time
(Backup will run in the background).

To schedule a backup
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntbackup_schedule_backup.mspx

Scheduled Tasks Cannot Run with a Blank Password
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310715

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm and scroll down to:
"Scheduled Tasks - Applying/Running tasks without a password­"

[Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308558

HOW TO: Schedule Tasks in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308569

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Derek Lamparty" wrote:

| Is it possible to schedule a backup of a XP Pro machine to run while no user
| is logged on using the backup wizard?
|
| I have been trying to run backups in the wee hours of the morning while the
| computer is not being used. When I created the backup and scheduled it, it
| asked for a username and password twice so I assumed that it should work.
| However, if I look at the reports it shows that no files were copied. Also,
| if I take a look into the backup file, I can see that it copied all of
| folders but not the files. So it runs, copies file but not the folders and
| saves the backup file to the drive. Seems odd to me. Another wierd thing
| is
| that it will actually pick up other backup files during the scheduled backup
| and add them to the file, howver, they will be the only files in the backup.
|
| Any thoughts?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Derek

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Thanks for the reply. So it should be possible. I have been trying this.
I have been using valid usernames and passwords. The scheduled backup runs
as scheduled, however, when I look at the file all the folders are empty (No
entries found). The report also verifies that no files were backed up. It
works fine if I schedule it to run while I am logged into the machine, if I
schedule it to run on start up or at log on, however, not while I am not
logged in.

Could it be how I am entering the username? When I schedule the back up it
supplies the username for me and I leave it alone. The format is
"computername\username". Should I simply be using the username? I am a bit
perplexed.

Thanks for any input.

Derek

> You must supply a valid username and password.
> A password must be assigned to the User, i.e. you cannot
> use a User that is not password protected. This is because
> the job is scheduled independent of the logged on User,
> and indeed no User need be logged on at the time
> (Backup will run in the background).
>
> To schedule a backup
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntbackup_schedule_backup.mspx
>
> Scheduled Tasks Cannot Run with a Blank Password
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310715
>
> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm and scroll down to:
> "Scheduled Tasks - Applying/Running tasks without a password­"
>
> [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]
>
> HOW TO: Troubleshoot Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308558
>
> HOW TO: Schedule Tasks in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308569
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Derek Lamparty" wrote:
>
> | Is it possible to schedule a backup of a XP Pro machine to run while no
> user
> | is logged on using the backup wizard?
> |
> | I have been trying to run backups in the wee hours of the morning while
> the
> | computer is not being used. When I created the backup and scheduled it,
> it
> | asked for a username and password twice so I assumed that it should
> work.
> | However, if I look at the reports it shows that no files were copied.
> Also,
> | if I take a look into the backup file, I can see that it copied all of
> | folders but not the files. So it runs, copies file but not the folders
> and
> | saves the backup file to the drive. Seems odd to me. Another wierd
> thing
> | is
> | that it will actually pick up other backup files during the scheduled
> backup
> | and add them to the file, howver, they will be the only files in the
> backup.
> |
> | Any thoughts?
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | Derek

mgm

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Do you have files selected in the backup?
"Derek Lamparty" <dlamparty@mntla.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > Also,
> > | if I take a look into the backup file, I can see that it copied all of
> > | folders but not the files. So it runs, copies file but not the
folders
> > and
> > | saves the backup file to the drive. Seems odd to me. Another wierd
> > thing
> > | is
> > | that it will actually pick up other backup files during the scheduled
> > backup
> > | and add them to the file, howver, they will be the only files in the
> > backup.
> > |
> > | Any thoughts?
> > |
> > | Thanks,
> > |
> > | Derek

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Sorry.... I realized the error of my ways. I had selected incremental
backup and to replace the old backup which was being saved to a network
drive. So.... no new files were added and it overwrote the other file that
contained the data.

Thanks for the help.

Derek

"mgm" <mgmombo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> >
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntbackup_schedule_backup.mspx
>> >
>> > Scheduled Tasks Cannot Run with a Blank Password
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310715
>> >
>> > Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm and scroll down to:
>> > "Scheduled Tasks - Applying/Running tasks without a password­"
>> >
>> > [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]
>> >
>> > HOW TO: Troubleshoot Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308558
>> >
>> > HOW TO: Schedule Tasks in Windows XP
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308569
>> >
>> > --
>> > Carey Frisch
>> > Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows XP - Shell/User
>> > Microsoft Newsgroups
>> >
>> > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:

mgm

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Derek..I suspected the problem because I made the same oops myself :)