What SERVICEs does DISK DEFRAG need to operate properly?

I seem to have disabled something by accident and can no longer defrag my
drive(s). What services are specific to Defrag working properly?

Thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about what services disk defrag operate properly

    Go to Start/All Programs/Administrative Tools/Services and check down the
    list for RPC - Remote Procedure Call, set to Automatic and Started
    (Defragmenter should also be set similarly.)

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "btbk" <btbk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I seem to have disabled something by accident and can no longer defrag my
    > drive(s). What services are specific to Defrag working properly?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I'd considered that and checked. RPC has never been touched. Also, I don't
    see a Defragmenter service anywhere. Is there another related to it? (As in
    my original question)

    It's strange, because Defrag loads, and I can click on the "Analyze" and
    "Defragment" buttons, but they do nothing. ??

    "Peter" wrote:

    > Go to Start/All Programs/Administrative Tools/Services and check down the
    > list for RPC - Remote Procedure Call, set to Automatic and Started
    > (Defragmenter should also be set similarly.)
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    > Toronto, Canada
    > XP Home SP2
    > P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD
    > "btbk" <btbk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I seem to have disabled something by accident and can no longer defrag my
    > > drive(s). What services are specific to Defrag working properly?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm
    and scroll down to Item No. 280 "Restore Defrag.exe".

    [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]

    "btbk" <btbk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I seem to have disabled something by accident and can no longer defrag my
    > drive(s). What services are specific to Defrag working properly?
    >
    > Thanks!

    That doesn't help. It would be a DLL that's been deleted. I tried to run
    PerfectDisk and it doesn't work either:

    Failed to connect to computer XX. The RPC server is unavailable.

    Very strange...

    "Touchbase" wrote:

    > Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm
    > and scroll down to Item No. 280 "Restore Defrag.exe".
    >
    > [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]
    >

    > "btbk" <btbk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I seem to have disabled something by accident and can no longer defrag my
    > > drive(s). What services are specific to Defrag working properly?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    I was gueeing about defrag being in Services. I use Diskeeper 9 Pro and it
    shows there.
    Maybe it's time for asking SP2 Help & Support
    Not sure where you are but this works for me:
    http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx/

    --
    > I'd considered that and checked. RPC has never been touched. Also, I don't
    > see a Defragmenter service anywhere. Is there another related to it? (As
    > in
    > my original question)
    >
    > It's strange, because Defrag loads, and I can click on the "Analyze" and
    > "Defragment" buttons, but they do nothing. ??
    >

    > "Peter" wrote:
    >
    >> Go to Start/All Programs/Administrative Tools/Services and check down the
    >> list for RPC - Remote Procedure Call, set to Automatic and Started
    >> (Defragmenter should also be set similarly.)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter
    >> Toronto, Canada
    >> XP Home SP2
    >> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD
    >> "btbk" <btbk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I seem to have disabled something by accident and can no longer defrag
    >> >my
    >> > drive(s). What services are specific to Defrag working properly?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!

    ...GUESSING...sorry

    --
    Peter
    Toronto, Canada
    "Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
    >I was gueeing about defrag being in Services. I use Diskeeper 9 Pro and it
    >shows there.
    > Maybe it's time for asking SP2 Help & Support
    > Not sure where you are but this works for me:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx/
    >
    > --
    > Peter
    > Toronto, Canada
    > XP Home SP2
    > P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD
    > "btbk" <btbk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I'd considered that and checked. RPC has never been touched. Also, I
    >> don't
    >> see a Defragmenter service anywhere. Is there another related to it? (As
    >> in
    >> my original question)
    >>
    >> It's strange, because Defrag loads, and I can click on the "Analyze" and
    >> "Defragment" buttons, but they do nothing. ??
    >>

    >> "Peter" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Go to Start/All Programs/Administrative Tools/Services and check down
    >>> the
    >>> list for RPC - Remote Procedure Call, set to Automatic and Started
    >>> (Defragmenter should also be set similarly.)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Peter
    >>> Toronto, Canada
    >>> XP Home SP2
    >>> P4 HT @ 3ghz, 1gb RAM, 360gb HD
    >>> "btbk" <btbk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  7. Quote:

    I seem to have disabled something by accident and can no longer defrag my
    drive(s). What services are specific to Defrag working properly?

    Thanks!

    did you disable or uninstall the .net framework ?

Defragment Microsoft Windows XP