XP Performance

July 20, 2005 12:56:04 PM

I have a Pentium II and I am running windows xp on it. It is very slow. Even
if I am not on the internet. Is there anything I can check on or tweak to
make it run faster. I understand why its slow on the internet but not when I
am just on the windows. Any ideas other than get a new computer. HA.

TMB867

More about : performance

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 1:40:02 PM

Im running a Celeron in the same MhZ range as a P2 with XP sp2 and its not
slow at all. As a matter of fact, I would say the performance has increased
since updating from 98.. How about Malware? also , how much RAM do you have?
Theres a number of things that can cause you to run slow..

"tmb867" wrote:

> I have a Pentium II and I am running windows xp on it. It is very slow. Even
> if I am not on the internet. Is there anything I can check on or tweak to
> make it run faster. I understand why its slow on the internet but not when I
> am just on the windows. Any ideas other than get a new computer. HA.
>
> TMB867
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:00:02 PM

Im running a Celeron thats in the same MhZ range as a P2and, contrary to your
experience, my performance increased when I upgraded to XP from 98. Have no
problem browsiing, streaming vid, just about anything.. Howeve, I have
tweeked alot and you have to stay on top of it and keep it free of malware,
viruses, etc..Also, I installed another 256mb of ram for a total of 512. I
believe you can achieve much better performance..

"tmb867" wrote:

> I have a Pentium II and I am running windows xp on it. It is very slow. Even
> if I am not on the internet. Is there anything I can check on or tweak to
> make it run faster. I understand why its slow on the internet but not when I
> am just on the windows. Any ideas other than get a new computer. HA.
>
> TMB867
July 20, 2005 4:11:15 PM

If your computer is old enough to have a Pentium II processor, the rest of
your hardware is also barely adequate to run XP, and the more programs you
run with XP, the worse your performance will be. Turning off (or
uninstalling) indexing may help things slightly, but in the end there is no
overcoming the laws of physics. If you don't plan on connecting your
computer to the internet (directly or indirectly) you'd be better off with
Windows 98 or ME.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"tmb867" <tmb867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Pentium II and I am running windows xp on it. It is very slow.
Even
> if I am not on the internet. Is there anything I can check on or tweak to
> make it run faster. I understand why its slow on the internet but not when
> am just on the windows. Any ideas other than get a new computer. HA.
>
> TMB867
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:17:23 AM

tmb

Go to Performance section in Control Panel and adjust video for best
performance instead of best appearance.. you will lose the 'silly' XP colour
scheme which is no bad thing, and performance will be quite a bit better..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"tmb867" <tmb867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Pentium II and I am running windows xp on it. It is very slow.
>Even
> if I am not on the internet. Is there anything I can check on or tweak to
> make it run faster. I understand why its slow on the internet but not when
> am just on the windows. Any ideas other than get a new computer. HA.
>
> TMB867
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:12:55 PM

tmb867 <tmb867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a Pentium II and I am running windows xp on it. It is very slow. Even
>if I am not on the internet. Is there anything I can check on or tweak to
>make it run faster. I understand why its slow on the internet but not when I
>am just on the windows. Any ideas other than get a new computer. HA.
>
>TMB867

How much RAM does your computer have?

The RAM quantities specified by Microsoft (e.g. 64 mb minimum, 128 mb
recommended) are grossly understated, especially for systems with
slower CPUs.

With a Pentium II system you need an absolute minimum of 256 mb RAM in
order to get any sort of reasonable performance from Windows XP; and
you would almost certainly notice substantial improvements by going to
at least 384 mb or even 512 mb. And that is just for normal home use.
If you are doing any intensive graphics work, such as editing photos,
then perhaps you might even benefit from more than 512 mb of RAM.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--