Help with EQ2!

Hello,

I wanted to ask this question here to see if maybe anybody else has had or
is having the same experience that I am with EQ2.
Just to give you some specifics on my system:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton Core)
1.25 GB of PC2700 Kingston ValueRAM. (2x 512 [Dual-Channel] and 1x 256mb
strip)
MSI K7N2 Delta-LSR motherboard.
nVidia GeForce FX 5600 (256mb RAM)
1 30GB IDE HD 7200RPM (XP Pro Load)
1 120GB IDE HD (7200RPM 8mb Buffer) (EQ installed here)
NEC MultiSync FE991SB Monitor (Max refresh rates are [160Hz (V) and 96KHz
(H)]

I have Service Pack 2 installed.
I have DX 9.0c runtime installed.
I have the latest Nvida driver for the card installed.
I have tried running EQ in the following video modes (1024 x 768, 1152 x
864, and 1280 x 1024) - Refresh rate of 60Hz
I have tried setting EQ2 to High Performance to Extreme Performance but
never above High as I don't have that beefy of a machine.

The problem is as follows:

EQ launches just fine and I really have no problems until I actually get to
the character select screen or in the middle of actual gameplay.
However, sometimes the game will just freeze up on me. Nothing will continue
to move. I can hear the music and can move the mouse pointer but EQ2 won't
respond. This happens alot in-game.

Now, if I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del it takes me back to Windows and opens up task
manager. EQ2 is running in Windowed mode and it runs fine. Also, if I play
it in this mode, it does not freeze. I do not know what to do. Has anybody
ever had this problem?

Also, at times while in game - I will lose all texture detail and get alot
of crazy stuff on the screen but after about 20 seconds it will either clear
up - if it doesn't, switching to windowed mode fixes it.

Thanks for any insight. Wanted to try here before I tried to deal with
technical support.

Sincerely,

Aukua Huxley
1 answer Last reply
More about help

    "Aukua Huxley" <akhx@nospam.cox.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I wanted to ask this question here to see if maybe anybody else has had or
    > is having the same experience that I am with EQ2.
    > Just to give you some specifics on my system:
    >
    > AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton Core)
    > 1.25 GB of PC2700 Kingston ValueRAM. (2x 512 [Dual-Channel] and 1x 256mb
    > strip)
    > MSI K7N2 Delta-LSR motherboard.
    > nVidia GeForce FX 5600 (256mb RAM)
    > 1 30GB IDE HD 7200RPM (XP Pro Load)
    > 1 120GB IDE HD (7200RPM 8mb Buffer) (EQ installed here)
    > NEC MultiSync FE991SB Monitor (Max refresh rates are [160Hz (V) and 96KHz
    > (H)]
    >
    > I have Service Pack 2 installed.
    > I have DX 9.0c runtime installed.
    > I have the latest Nvida driver for the card installed.
    > I have tried running EQ in the following video modes (1024 x 768, 1152 x
    > 864, and 1280 x 1024) - Refresh rate of 60Hz
    > I have tried setting EQ2 to High Performance to Extreme Performance but
    > never above High as I don't have that beefy of a machine.
    >
    > The problem is as follows:
    >
    > EQ launches just fine and I really have no problems until I actually get
    > to the character select screen or in the middle of actual gameplay.
    > However, sometimes the game will just freeze up on me. Nothing will
    > continue to move. I can hear the music and can move the mouse pointer but
    > EQ2 won't respond. This happens alot in-game.
    >
    > Now, if I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del it takes me back to Windows and opens up task
    > manager. EQ2 is running in Windowed mode and it runs fine. Also, if I play
    > it in this mode, it does not freeze. I do not know what to do. Has anybody
    > ever had this problem?
    >
    > Also, at times while in game - I will lose all texture detail and get alot
    > of crazy stuff on the screen but after about 20 seconds it will either
    > clear up - if it doesn't, switching to windowed mode fixes it.
    >
    > Thanks for any insight. Wanted to try here before I tried to deal with
    > technical support.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Aukua Huxley

    I haven't heard of that problem yet. I'd send a bug report for starters.

    Lou

Video Games