Help with EQ2!

Last response: in Video Games
January 18, 2005 1:39:53 AM

Hello,

I wanted to ask this question here to see if maybe anybody else has had or
is having the same experience that I am with EQ2.
Just to give you some specifics on my system:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton Core)
1.25 GB of PC2700 Kingston ValueRAM. (2x 512 [Dual-Channel] and 1x 256mb
strip)
MSI K7N2 Delta-LSR motherboard.
nVidia GeForce FX 5600 (256mb RAM)
1 30GB IDE HD 7200RPM (XP Pro Load)
1 120GB IDE HD (7200RPM 8mb Buffer) (EQ installed here)
NEC MultiSync FE991SB Monitor (Max refresh rates are [160Hz (V) and 96KHz
(H)]

I have Service Pack 2 installed.
I have DX 9.0c runtime installed.
I have the latest Nvida driver for the card installed.
I have tried running EQ in the following video modes (1024 x 768, 1152 x
864, and 1280 x 1024) - Refresh rate of 60Hz
I have tried setting EQ2 to High Performance to Extreme Performance but
never above High as I don't have that beefy of a machine.

The problem is as follows:

EQ launches just fine and I really have no problems until I actually get to
the character select screen or in the middle of actual gameplay.
However, sometimes the game will just freeze up on me. Nothing will continue
to move. I can hear the music and can move the mouse pointer but EQ2 won't
respond. This happens alot in-game.

Now, if I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del it takes me back to Windows and opens up task
manager. EQ2 is running in Windowed mode and it runs fine. Also, if I play
it in this mode, it does not freeze. I do not know what to do. Has anybody
ever had this problem?

Also, at times while in game - I will lose all texture detail and get alot
of crazy stuff on the screen but after about 20 seconds it will either clear
up - if it doesn't, switching to windowed mode fixes it.

Thanks for any insight. Wanted to try here before I tried to deal with
technical support.

Sincerely,

Aukua Huxley

More about : eq2

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:45:26 AM

"Aukua Huxley" <akhx@nospam.cox.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to ask this question here to see if maybe anybody else has had or
> is having the same experience that I am with EQ2.
> Just to give you some specifics on my system:
>
> AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton Core)
> 1.25 GB of PC2700 Kingston ValueRAM. (2x 512 [Dual-Channel] and 1x 256mb
> strip)
> MSI K7N2 Delta-LSR motherboard.
> nVidia GeForce FX 5600 (256mb RAM)
> 1 30GB IDE HD 7200RPM (XP Pro Load)
> 1 120GB IDE HD (7200RPM 8mb Buffer) (EQ installed here)
> NEC MultiSync FE991SB Monitor (Max refresh rates are [160Hz (V) and 96KHz
> (H)]
>
> I have Service Pack 2 installed.
> I have DX 9.0c runtime installed.
> I have the latest Nvida driver for the card installed.
> I have tried running EQ in the following video modes (1024 x 768, 1152 x
> 864, and 1280 x 1024) - Refresh rate of 60Hz
> I have tried setting EQ2 to High Performance to Extreme Performance but
> never above High as I don't have that beefy of a machine.
>
> The problem is as follows:
>
> EQ launches just fine and I really have no problems until I actually get
> to the character select screen or in the middle of actual gameplay.
> However, sometimes the game will just freeze up on me. Nothing will
> continue to move. I can hear the music and can move the mouse pointer but
> EQ2 won't respond. This happens alot in-game.
>
> Now, if I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del it takes me back to Windows and opens up task
> manager. EQ2 is running in Windowed mode and it runs fine. Also, if I play
> it in this mode, it does not freeze. I do not know what to do. Has anybody
> ever had this problem?
>
> Also, at times while in game - I will lose all texture detail and get alot
> of crazy stuff on the screen but after about 20 seconds it will either
> clear up - if it doesn't, switching to windowed mode fixes it.
>
> Thanks for any insight. Wanted to try here before I tried to deal with
> technical support.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Aukua Huxley

I haven't heard of that problem yet. I'd send a bug report for starters.

Lou
!